The Obesity Epidemic

AnaMarzen

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Problem with big loser is that they are going for fast loss and big audience ratings. Fast loss usually means fast back on again. CalorieCounter.com helps you set reasonable goals and gives a real timeline for weight loss not one based on ratings. There is a forum there specifically for people who want to lose over 100 pounds.

I am sure the site another member recommended is excellent as well. (sorry cant see who that was while typing this!)

I do not think you can lose this weight just be getting rid of your depression. It will help a lot I am sure but it is going to require work and perseverance, which is the problem I am dealing with now. The scariest part to me is as bad as the weight is now it can get lots worse if not dealt with.

Very true, Anne. I need to deal with this now.

I'd hate to be bed-ridden in 10 years from now. :mellow:

It's funny what happens when you ween yourself off of fast food.

I've got a few kids and our lives, over the years, have been pretty crazy. Too often I've ended up in the drive thru. Recently, I've been avoiding that (and other processed foods) and cooking fresh at home. The other day, we got big macs cuz we were starving and far from home. My kids wouldn't even eat them. They said, "This is so gross, Mom." We went to the grocery store instead and picked something different.

Sounds like you are headed in a really good direction. I wonder what you'll pick as your substitutes for fast food and soda. I decided to find some of my favorite recipes and I make them ahead of time. Then, when I need a little comfort food, they are there for me just like the donut used to be. I've got a killer chicken salad recipe and fruit has become my sweet treat. I feel better and my depression is better too. I really like the concept of using food as medicine. It's just about picking the right foods. :)

It's funny how that works, huh? I can see now that I am 100% addicted to fast food, soda and high fructose corn syrup. The stuff is seen as "gross" to most people but I swear, it's like crack to me! lol

You're so kind, Vort. I can tell we're going to be friends. :)

That's quite nice of you to say. Judging by the reaction of some others to me during my time on this list, you may not feel that way after being here a few weeks...but I daresay you're right, we'll be friends. I do have a few of those here. :)

But I really need to read this book! lol

To be clear, it's not a book on weight loss. Not by a long shot. It's a book about how various things reach a "tipping point" and become a fad or a nuisance or a way of life. It's kind of a book on mass psychology. Very interesting, though.

That's quite nice of you to say. Judging by the reaction of some others to me during my time on this list, you may not feel that way after being here a few weeks...but I daresay you're right, we'll be friends. I do have a few of those here. :)

To be clear, it's not a book on weight loss. Not by a long shot. It's a book about how various things reach a "tipping point" and become a fad or a nuisance or a way of life. It's kind of a book on mass psychology. Very interesting, though.

Ah, I see. Sounds like a fascinating read though.

And it's okay, I have thick skin (literally and figuratively LOL!)

It's kind of a book on mass psychology. Very interesting, though.

Psychologist: Tell me more about your multiple personalities.

Kilogram: Well I feel like I'm made up of all these smaller pieces that make up my whole.

Psychologist: And just how many of these smaller pieces are there?

Kilogram: Depends on who is trying to use me, sometimes it's just me, sometimes there are a thousand. It's horrible but it could be worse.

Psychologist: How could it be worse?

Kilogram: My friend the slug, he just seems so lonely. Nobody seems to use him anymore, and to tell you the truth I think he's jealous of how popular I am.

Edited by Dravin

Kilogram: Well I feel like I'm made up of all these smaller pieces that make up my whole.

Kilogram: Depends on who is trying to use me, sometimes it's just me, sometimes there are a thousand, sometimes even millions. It's horrible but it could be worse.

Kilogram: My friend the slug, he just seems so lonely. Nobody seems to use him anymore, and to tell you the truth I think he's jealous of how popular I am.

Wa wa waaaaaaaa....

LOL! :P

Kilogram: Depends on who is trying to use me, sometimes it's just me, sometimes there are a thousand. It's horrible but it could be worse.

It's a conservation conversation.

Hi, Ana. I can tell you first hand that weight loss is not easy, but it's certainly possible. I'd like to suggest that you look into a local Weight Watcher's meeting. They can help you get started with a healthy eating plan, give you information on portion control, and offer you lots of support. It's even likely that you'd find an exercise partner there as well...someone to keep you accountable and motivated.

Start slow. Don't try to save the world in one day. Maybe add a few healthier food to your diet, cut out some of the things you know you shouldn't have (like fast food), eat smaller portions, and start walking, even if it's just a stroll to the end of the block and back a few times a day. You'll be surprised how quickly your body adjusts to the exercise and you'll find that you'll start feeling better both mentally and physically. You'll soon be able to walk way farther than you ever thought.

Remember that you're making a lifelong change and you have to understand that you didn't gain the weight overnight, so it's going to take awhile to lose it. Stick with it and you'll soon start to see good things happening.

Hi, Ana. I can tell you first hand that weight loss is not easy, but it's certainly possible. I'd like to suggest that you look into a local Weight Watcher's meeting. They can help you get started with a healthy eating plan, give you information on portion control, and offer you lots of support. It's even likely that you'd find an exercise partner there as well...someone to keep you accountable and motivated.

Start slow. Don't try to save the world in one day. Maybe add a few healthier food to your diet, cut out some of the things you know you shouldn't have (like fast food), eat smaller portions, and start walking, even if it's just a stroll to the end of the block and back a few times a day. You'll be surprised how quickly your body adjusts to the exercise and you'll find that you'll start feeling better both mentally and physically. You'll soon be able to walk way farther than you ever thought.

Remember that you're making a lifelong change and you have to understand that you didn't gain the weight overnight, so it's going to take awhile to lose it. Stick with it and you'll soon start to see good things happening.

Thank you for the kind words. :)

And yes, I definitely need someone to keep me accountable! lol I fall back into terrible habits, very easily. I know my sister is going to start walking with me and that will help a great deal.

As far as the mental and physical part, it's funny... my mind doesn't feel too sharp, ya know? I just feel a little... slow, for lack of a better word. lol So I'm sure that once I start eating fresh food and I get moving, my mind will perk up too. :)

The problem with the human body is that once it gets out of balance, whatever it is that caused it go out of balance - could be a super small hardly noticeable thing - causes a cycle.

Okay, I'm going to tell you what happened to my husband 2 years ago. We've been married going on 15 years now. 15 years ago, he was a runway model. Yeah, health nut, works out daily, 6-pack that kind of thing. 2 years ago, he sprained his back lifting pavers out of the van. It was so bad he could barely get out of bed the next day. He couldn't work out for a month - threw him out of balance because he did not know how to deal with it, so he gained some weight and lost muscle bulk.

This drove him into depression (that out-of-control feeling) which caused him to hit the gym before he was ready which caused his back to get so hurt that he couldn't move for a week!

He became inactive which drove him nuts (he thinks he's invincible, that guy) which caused him to get depressed and turn to snacking (his idea of snacking is downing an entire bag of carrots with ranch dressing). But, even just snacking mega doses of something you would think is healthy - with his lack of regular activity - caused him to gain even more weight - which caused him to hurt his back some more which got him more depressed - cycle, see, it feeds on itself. He became so inward-looking. He sits on the recliner with the remote after he gets off work munching on something because he doesn't want to try doing something physical because he would just get mad at how weak he has gotten. He refused to go to the doctor because, in his mind, he is not sick. He just sprained his back.

I couldn't do anything. He's not listening to me. Finally, his best friend told him he needs to go see the doctor before it gets really bad. He's gained 40 lbs by now. So, last February, he got his MRI, saw the 2 busted discs and a few bulging ones about to bust, and he signed up for a phyiscal therapist. The physical therapist is finally getting him to change the way he exercises to adjust to this new "condition". He lost the 40 lbs he gained but he still looks "fat" because he lost all that muscle as well. But, this change got him back in control which helped drive away depression which helped him get rid of the snack-binging which got him back in balance again. He's not quite back to his normal self - far from it. He's still wearing 36" pants instead of his normal 32"... yeah, muscle weight versus no-muscle weight is really a big difference. But, he is much happier and that gives him more impetus to stay in balance. It's not a matter of hitting a weight goal for him. To him, it is being in control of his body again and getting himself in balance. It's amazing how all this is caused by one silly thing - a back sprain that started off really small.

I think that's the same as what you're going through. You might think, my husband only gained 40 lbs instead of 400... but it's the same cycle. And I think you might benefit from the same solution. Just find that one thing that started this cycle and bring that back into balance again. Address that problem. Then it's just a matter of taking it one tiny step at a time. Instead of drinking 4 cans of soda, replace 2 cans with 2 cans of water. That's it. For a week. Then add to it the next week. Walk to the mailbox everyday to pick up the mail. Do that for a week. Then walk to the end of the block. Do that the next week. Little bits at a time just to give you that feeling of being in control again.

Forget the weight. Skinny people can be unhealthy too. Think of balance. Get your body back in balance. You are very beautiful, by the way. I love your face.

Hope this helps.

Heredity as a cause of obesity is so rare as to be IMHO non-existant.

Calories count. I was diabetic, had high colesterol, and high blood pressure, but I went on the Jenny Craig weight-loss program, and lost enough weight to make ALL of it go away.

If you are pre-diabetic, you can make that go away too considering how young you appear to be in your pictures.

Forget all the BS nonsense you hear or read about. Only eating less will cure your problem.

PS I'm a Diet Coke addict, and since there is no sugar it contributes to 1) my weight loss since I no longer drink surgared drinks, and 2) my sweet craving. I'm a big believer in diet beverages for this reason alone. I don't buy the notion that somehow they contribute to more weight. At the end of the day they contribute calories 0.

I have no interest in Jenny Craig other that it has helped me. It's almost like a 12 step program, in that you are monitored, and accountable for all the food you eat in excess of what is necessary.

I'm sure there are other programs out there, but JC worked for me.

I know this might seem like a commercial, but I have been doing Weight Watchers since January, and it has been amazing for me. I like having a group of people who are facing the same eating hurdles that I am. I like having the support group, and I have learned a lot about eating, why I was eating, and what I should eat. One of my biggest problems has been the inability to work out. I used to be quite athletic and one day had to suddenly stop. It is hard to even think about losing weight when the standard exercise methods are out of the question.

Remember that exercise for you should be very gradual and keep in mind that the more you weigh, the more your bone structure has to carry....you don't have to work out for as long as a 120 pound person does, for example. Also the types of foods you eat should change, and it will be hard at first, but after a couple of months you will find yourself craving those foods that you have changed to.

I can say at this point that I have completetly changed the types and amounts of food I eat and crave. When I eat I think about what I want to feel like after I have eaten, and then I choose what I am going to eat. High sugar and high carbs will make you sleepy, carrying around excess weight will tire you out fast. I remember one day when I started to stand up, I braced myself, even using a piece of furniture to help my knees, only to realize I didn't need the help because I weigh so much less now....

you can do this, I know you can

I know that it might seem like a lot of money to join something like weight watchers, but I have saved a whole bunch of money on my grocery bill, enough to easily justify the amount it costs for my membership. Go to a meeting near you, you don't have to pay, you can just visit for a while if you want and then decide.

Depression can have a lot to do with weight gain. Like someone else said, delete those pictures, they will just depress you even more. Making small changes can help a lot, trying to make big changes all at once just sets you up for failure.

I don't know if this is allowed, but I have a friend who sells a weight loss program. I've seen some pretty amazing photos of her clients on her facebook page. The plan costs $300 a month, it's $10/day. I think there's also a book they encourage you to buy which is $50. I've had several friends go through the plan and they said it taught them how to eat differently. They were also able to keep the weight off. Also, you get a free personal trainer of sorts, meaning you can call her whenever you need to and ask her advice or just talk. If you want I can send you her information, just let me know.

The important thing is to remember you are a daughter of God, you have infinite worth. It will be a struggle, but you can change.

For myself, I say don't delete the pictures. They are of you, and they represent you. You need not be ashamed. Obesity is one of the weaknesses and vicissitudes of the flesh that we all struggle against during this life. Those who love you see past the obesity to the soul within. For that matter, any Saint should do the same.

I would suggest that you don't post your pictures as a way to punish yourself. You are a daughter of God and should comport yourself as such, including not trying to expose yourself to ridicule or shame. Please understand that I don't think there is anything ridiculous or shameful about the pictures you posted; my point is that if YOU think there is something shameful about them, you should not post them just to punish yourself.

I have not dealt with the issues you are dealing with, so my advice is very limited. But what I say is: Never forget who you are, and quit beating yourself up over being obese.

[/sermon]

The only thing with actual weight loss programs is that they cost money. If you're able to do the fees, then it isn't a problem but if you've lost your job and are currently unemployed, it may be one.. That's why I recommended a tool that assists you. Lose It is just one, there are many available but I have experience with that one, and it works if you stick with your program. You are still accountable, like I said, there are groups you can network with (many have private groups that do weekly/monthly weigh-ins which you can submit via snapping a photo of yourself downwards standing on a scale). Like with anything, your success greatly depends on whether you stick with your goals. There is no one cure, be it Lose It or Weight Watchers. They're all tools. You got to use them and incorporate them into your life daily for success.

Lastly, Vort has given some pearls of wisdom. I think sometimes we all need to look at ourselves in the mirror and realise - hey, I am who I am and God loves me. I know I have days where I'd rather crawl into a hole.

I don't believe in weight loss programs. I believe in changing your lifestyle and eating habits because you can still be slim and unhealthy. I'm sort of a health freak but I still enjoy pizza and tacos on occasion.

Just to clarify on my post.. Lose It is a changing lifestyle tool - YOU develop it yourself (preferably after consulting your physician, of course). It is a mobile tool that you can keep handy to TRACK progress and weigh-ins. There is no philosophy or motto, alike Jenny Craig or Weight Watchers, in the sense that those programs DO have steps. Lose It only provides what you're willing to put into it. But in the simplest of forms, consider Lose It as a journal to log in your daily progress (be it achievements and goals to conquer after shortcomings). In addition - it's free.

I don't believe in weight loss programs. I believe in changing your lifestyle and eating habits because you can still be slim and unhealthy. I'm sort of a health freak but I still enjoy pizza and tacos on occasion.

Suzie is right. You can still be slim and unhealthy. Although unless you're incredibly underweight, the health risks are higher if you're obese versus slim. Ana, just start with one thing. If you're watching TV, do jumping jacks every time there's a commercial break, or a light jog in place.