Priesthood questions

Is a blessing from a priesthood holder more likely to be answered than a prayer from a regular man?

• Does a deacon hold more power than other non-LDS religious figures, such as, the Pope?
  • If something were to happen to the patriarch of the family, can a deacon step up to the plate and give a blessing like his father would have?

• Is a blessing from a priesthood holder more likely to be answered than a prayer from a regular man?

In the instance of a blessing given from a Melchezidek Priesthood holder to another, in my opinion, the closer of the faith and lifestyle of both the receiver of the blessing and the giver of the blessing (also known as "being in-tune"), the more I think that our Heavenly Father hears it.

Same principle for a priesthood holder offering a prayer.

• Does a deacon hold more power than other non-LDS religious figures, such as, the Pope?

We want to be careful on this because it can sound pompous to those not familiar with LDS doctrines. However, yes, even a deacon within the Aaronic Priesthood has more priesthood authority than even that of the Pope.

Why? Because we believe that the authority to act in the name of our Father in Heaven was lost and then restored to the Prophet Joseph Smith. Priesthood holders can trace back their "line of authority" back to Joseph Smith, Peter James & John and to the Lord himself.

Authority is different from spirituality and insight. Most 12-year old deacons may not be that spiritually in-tune, while we believe the Pope is a great spiritual leader lacking official priesthood authority.

• If something were to happen to the patriarch of the family, can a deacon step up to the plate and give a blessing like his father would have?

No. A deacon in the Aaronic Priesthood does not have the priesthood authority to give blessings. The closest is that of a Priest who can ordain others to the office of a deacon, teacher or priest. However, a priesthood ordination is different than pronoucing a blessing, which frequently accompanies such an ordination when done by one holding the Melchizedek Priesthood.

Doctrine and Covenants 20:48 

Is a blessing from a priesthood holder more likely to be answered than a prayer from a regular man?

A priesthood blessing can invoke authority that a prayer doesn't, but prayers and blessing are both efficacious. I would suggest though that we wouldn't be given ordinances such as administering to the sick if they were the same. One thing to keep in mind is faith. A prayer with faith on both the giver's and the recipient's part is going to be more efficacious than a blessings without faith on either giver's and recipient's part.

Power and authority aren't quite the same thing, but yes, a deacon holds more priesthood authority than anyone who does not hold any priesthood. A deacon could pass the sacrament, the Pope, or even our own dear PC, would not be able to.

Priesthood Blessings, I assume by which you mean administering to the sick, Father's blessings, blessings of comfort and counsel, are performed by the authority of the Melchizedek priesthood, as such a deacon lacks the requisite authority to perform that ordinance.

Edited by Dravin

• Is a blessing from a priesthood holder more likely to be answered than a prayer from a regular man?

• A Priesthood blessing is not a prayer, which is a conversation with God. A Priesthood blessing is the direct exercise of God's power, done in the name of Christ. Our prayers are petitions and conversations; a Priesthood blessing, when done correctly, is the direct pronouncement of divine will and blessings. The two are not the same thing.
  • In the sense of acting in God's name, a deacon absolutely holds more "power" than the Pope. In a secular sense, no, of course a twelve-year-old boy does not hold more power than the religious leader of over a billion people.
  • No. A deacon holds the Aaronic Priesthood, which does not have the power of the laying on of hands (except in the sense that an Aaronic Priesthood priest can confer the Aaronic Priesthood on others and ordain them to offices in that Priesthood through the laying on of hands). But he most certainly can bless his family through his actions.

Read D&C 13, a very short section, and you will see that one of the "keys" given to those who hold the Aaronic Priesthood is the key to the ministering of angels. If that does not mean the key to being of service to others and acting as an angel in carrying out divine commissions, I don't know what it does mean.

So if I were to break this down, does the Pope have about as much ordained authority/power of God as I do, meaning none?

In the sense of ordained Priesthood power, I would say yes. In the sense of power provided by the Priesthood through covenant, I would say you have a very great deal more of such power than the Pope has. And as a woman married in the new and everlasting covenant, you will be part of the highest order of the Priesthood, with access to all blessings and promises available, something that the Pope, no matter how good a man he might be, has no possible hope of ever obtaining while in his position.

A Priesthood blessing is not a prayer, which is a conversation with God. A Priesthood blessing is the direct exercise of God's power, done in the name of Christ. Our prayers are petitions and conversations; a Priesthood blessing, when done correctly, is the direct pronouncement of divine will and blessings. The two are not the same thing.

Okay, I understand that they are different. Am I also correct in these thoughts..

A priesthood blessing is always authoritative, in that, the priesthood holder does not ask but commands of something. Like when you hear blessings given where the priesthood holder will say something along the lines of: You will be strong and go forth.

Eta. If yes, are we still in a phase of humility when commanding of something in the name of Jesus Christ, instead of asking for the Lord's help?

Edited by Bini

So if I were to break this down, does the Pope have about as much ordained authority/power of God as I do, meaning none?

Ditto to Vort, but I would like to add that as a baptized member of the Lord's Church, you have been given the gift of the Holy Ghost. The Pope has the light of Christ. A simple comparison: the Pope holds a candle while you have a spotlight.

Ditto to Vort, but I would like to add that as a baptized member of the Lord's Church, you have been given the gift of the Holy Ghost. The Pope has the light of Christ. A simple comparison: the Pope holds a candle while you have a spotlight.

From this, I'm getting that the Pope does have some degree of acknowledged authority/power of God. So non-LDS religious figures do have some authority - less than a Latter-Day Saint but more than a non-religious person? Or, does the Pope have about as much authority as say, Christian Bale?

Okay, I understand that they are different. Am I also correct in these thoughts..

A priesthood blessing is always authoritative, in that, the priesthood holder does not ask but commands of something. Like when you hear blessings given where the priesthood holder will say something along the lines of: You will be strong and go forth.

Ideally, yes. In reality, Priesthood holders are fallible and weak men, not God. We are still learning. We are trying to live up to our privileges, but we often fail. Some men forget that a Priesthood blessing is supposed to be just that -- a blessing -- and instead of pronouncing blessings, they turn it into a prayer and importune the Lord to intervene.

One thing that every faithful Priesthood holder strives to learn is how to achieve power in the Priesthood. Every General Conference, some of the Priesthood Session speakers address this topic, either implicitly or head-on. Here is an example of President Monson addressing the issue last year.

So it's a learning process.

From this, I'm getting that the Pope does have some degree of acknowledged authority/power of God. So non-LDS religious figures do have some authority - less than a Latter-Day Saint but more than a non-religious person? Or, does the Pope have about as much authority as say, Christian Bale?

Every human being has the light of Christ, including the Pope, Christian Bale, your next-door neighbor, and the bum in the street. Divine power comes only through the Priesthood, which is and can be handled only by covenant and only on principles of righteousness. The lack of either of those two essential elements -- covenants or righteousness -- makes it impossible to exercise real Priesthood power.

In the sense of ordained Priesthood power, I would say yes. In the sense of power provided by the Priesthood through covenant, I would say you have a very great deal more of such power than the Pope has. And as a woman married in the new and everlasting covenant, you will be part of the highest order of the Priesthood, with access to all blessings and promises available, something that the Pope, no matter how good a man he might be, has no possible hope of ever obtaining while in his position.

We should convert a Pope, just to see what happens.

(I mean, think about it; as the effectively unchallengeable head of the Catholic church, his conversion would essentially convert the entire church. Talk about efficient missionary work...)

We should convert a Pope, just to see what happens.

(I mean, think about it; as the effectively unchallengeable head of the Catholic church, his conversion would essentially convert the entire church. Talk about efficient missionary work...)

So, if President Monson converted to Catholicism, you would join as well? And you think that the majority of the LDS would abandon the faith and join him?

So, if President Monson converted to Catholicism, you would join as well? And you think that the majority of the LDS would abandon the faith and join him?

"God will never permit him to lead us astray. As has been said, God would remove us out of our place if we should attempt to do it.” -- Harold B. Lee

There is no process to remove a Pope from office before his death. (Though he could step down of his own accord, IIRC.) In essence, we remember that the President is still just a fallible man. He's free to be wrong on his own time. The Catholic view is simply that God won't let the Pope do anything wrong, period. ("Removed from all possibility of error" I think is the traditional wording.) Thus, if he converted, (and didn't immediately die or resign) it would have to be the right thing to do under the official dogma.

IMO, the actual result of converting a Pope would likely be some sort of split, with the Catholic Church itself figuring out some creative way around Papal Infallibility, while a lot of the members would follow the Pope in whatever he does.

The Catholic view is simply that God won't let the Pope do anything wrong, period.

No it isn't. You need to read up on Papal Infallibility: Papal infallibility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Papal infallibility is a dogma of the Catholic Church which states that, in virtue of the promise of Jesus to Peter, the Pope is preserved from the possibility of error[1] "when, in the exercise of his office as shepherd and teacher of all Christians, in virtue of his supreme apostolic authority, he defines a doctrine concerning faith or morals to be held by the whole Church". Papal infallibility thus does not extend to declarations by the Pope—even on faith or morals, and still less, of course, on other matters—not solemnly proposed as dogmas to be professed by the whole Church. Nor is infallibility to be confused with impeccability, as if the Pope were immune from sin.

It's a little more nuanced and specific than, "God won't let the Pope do anything wrong. Period."

Hi Bini! I hope you are having a good day today. :)

My comments may or may not add to what has already been written in this thread but I provide my input in the event it does add something helpful to your understanding.

There are two important aspects about the priesthood to understand. There is priesthood authority and there is priesthood power.

We can have authority but have no power. Priesthood authority comes by the laying on of hands. Priesthood power comes from obedience and the righteous exercise of priesthood authority.

Any person who has received the priesthood can have more authority than one who has not, but God has said that we can lose our authority when we act unrighteously.

Anyone, in the most general sense, can receive power from God to act and to do, but priesthood authority and priesthood power are uniquely LDS things. No other organization on this earth has the priesthood.

Aaronic priesthood holders can exercise the priesthood only within the bounds set by God. They would not be authorized, for instance, to give priesthood blessings. However, Aaronic priesthood authority and power are real and the righteous exercise of this priesthood will bless the life of the one exercising the priesthood and the lives of those the priesthood holder is serving.

One final note, priesthood power is really just the power to bless others. It is God's power, wielded by righteous men, to bring about God's purposes here on this earth which purpose is to bring to pass the immortality and the eternal life of mankind.

Regards,

Finrock

Blessings are predicated on faith.

One way to show faith is to go to priesthood leaders as a show of faith in the power and authority. When no priesthood is available, God knows the faith of those who pray to Him, but when priesthood is available, we can demonstrate our faith by going to our leaders.

God's plan is to allow us to help each other, and serve and love one another. We can participate in the salvation of others. It is a beautiful plan that helps us learn, not just rely on Him for everything, but realize that through others, His work can be accomplished.

Priesthood is a way to help priesthood holders exercise their faith and be willing to serve other and be worthy, and for others to faithfully seek help from their priesthood leaders...a house of order.

So, to answer the 3 questions directly:

No, it is more likely to be answered depending on the faith of those involved. Priesthood can be a catalyst, but faith is the power.

Does a deacon hold more power than other non-LDS religious figures, such as, the Pope?

Depends on what you mean by power. There may be more authority with that deacon to pass the sacrament, but the Pope may have greater power and influence over millions of people to do God's work.

If something were to happen to the patriarch of the family, can a deacon step up to the plate and give a blessing like his father would have?

deacons are not authorized to bless, or teachers. The matriarch of the home would have greater authority than a deacon for blessings, done through prayer not the priesthood. When someone steps outside the bounds of the priesthood order, amen to that priesthood.

So, are priesthood blessings commands? No, the faith of the priesthood holder and those receiving the blessings seek God's will, and if it is God's will, it will be done. Priesthood can help us find God's will, but it does not dictate God's will.

The Light of Christ will grow in a person to the extent that the person attempts to live according to the light he has received. To the extent that any ordained minister of any denomination is trying to do the right thing, I think his spiritual influence will increase. But without the Aaronic/Melchizedek priesthood, it is not his prerogative to administer the ordinances that pertain to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Also, I think anyone in a position of influence over others--a parent, a head of a social organization, a political figure--has a God-given responsibility to attempt to use that position for good. I think God knows that Catholics will pay more attention to Benedict XVI than to just about any deacon in the LDS Church; and I'd like to think that God therefore does occasionally work through His Holiness in order to bring about His purposes.

• 4 weeks later...

It's a little more nuanced and specific than, "God won't let the Pope do anything wrong. Period."

Why are we even discussing this when it would be so much more fun to determine experimentally? What's the point of having missionaries in Italy if they won't try for the big prize? :D