That itch to go back to school or pursue a different career path?

Bini

Any of you ever think about going back to school where you left off or pursuing a different career path?

I keep seeing these TV ads for getting a degree in this, or a degree in that. I love being a stay-at-home parent but occasionally I daydream about getting back into the mix of things, you know, having a work schedule and interacting with people. I especially get "the itch" when I see FB friends celebrating a graduation or promotion -- how exciting! Before becoming a parent, I worked in nursing for about 10 years and got my LPN. While it was rewarding and I learned a lot, I don't think I'll ever return to that career. I'd love to go into graphic design professionally but I'm already kind of sort of doing that as a hobby. I do have a friend that is in culinary school, and I think that would be a fun pursuit. After all, I looove baking! :D

My advice... wait until the baby enters kindergarten.

I completed my Masters degree after my last kid was settled in school.

But yes, pursuing interests - educational or career - is a great endeavor. It's something that you can use if you ever have to make an income out of it. And at the same time, it broadens your horizons and keep the noggin exercised.

I went back to school at age 38. I started over again, since it had been so long since I had been in college--my math skills were really lacking. I also decided to have one more baby (7th child) after being back in school. His delivery occurred during finals week. I missed half my finals. The teachers had the option of either rescheduling me for the test, or give me a grade according to what I had already achieved. They all opted to give me a grade according to what I had already earned. So, I managed to attend school full time, and still had a house full of kids! It took me five years to get my bachelors degree. Even though I was full time, I just took the minimum to be full time, so it took me a little extra time to get it done. It was hard, but I kept telling myself "The time is going to go by whether I'm in school or not. Just think what I can accomplish just by plugging away at it". Now, have I ever used my degree for my job? No. But, it's still a great sense of accomplishment, and who knows, I may use it in the future because I'm looking for a new job.

I am currently going back to school at 35 years old. I have discovered the same thing Vort did, I am a better student now verses then.

I'm definitely a better student now than I was in High School. Part of it is learning to focus and study, the other aspect is understanding that I sought it out and I'm paying for it. Not putting in the proper study time and effort would be like paying for an super sized value meal and just drinking the soda.

I started school again at 40. I waited until all my kids were in school and found that being at home alone drove me crazy (well,that's not a long drive). This will be my second year, and looking back, it was worth the wait. I had all the wonderful experiences of being a stay at home mom (and all the ones that made going crazy not a long trip), and now I get to be somewhere where I am not "mom"..I am me.

-Sunshine

Even at my age I'm toying with the idea of going back to school. I would just like to say that before I die I got my degree.

Me too. I would like to go back to school when my grandson gets back in school. I know there is a lot I'll have to repeat but I'm ok with it.

I wanted to be a Certified Nurse Midwife and that's what I started at age 30 (got interrupted with life and health issues). Now, I know I probably won't be a CNM but I'd still like to finish something before I'm 80.

I've gotten the itch to go back twice, haha. As a result I have three degrees. I've finally found something I like doing. I would love to be a Pathologist, but I don't think I could get a high score on the MCAT and I don't think I want to endure 8 or so more years of school.

Me too. I would like to go back to school when my grandson gets back in school. I know there is a lot I'll have to repeat but I'm ok with it.

I wanted to be a Certified Nurse Midwife and that's what I started at age 30 (got interrupted with life and health issues). Now, I know I probably won't be a CNM but I'd still like to finish something before I'm 80.

Apple I'm sure I'd pretty much have to repeat everything. I mean it's been 36 years since I was last in college. :lol:

Apple I'm sure I'd pretty much have to repeat everything. I mean it's been 36 years since I was last in college. :lol:

It's been 20 years since I was last in college when I started my Masters. I was motivated to take my Masters because the university offered a temporary allowance on the GRE (if you've taken it before, you don't need to retake it even if it's expired - I took the GRE 20 years ago). In my experience, I just thought I forgot everything already... I was pleasantly surprised that it's just in the back of my head laying dormant just needing brushing up. And I'm talking differential and integral equations here... yeah, the first few weeks was tough - mostly because I lacked confidence. After getting an okay grade on my first test, I got all my confidence back.

I got my degree in business administration, worked for five years doing software development and eventually got into doing a lot of freelance database architecture work, but you can only deal with managers and clients who don't have a clue for so long... so I packed up, battened down the financial hatches, and went back to school. I'm now in my third year of medical school- my work ethic as a non-trad student is radically different than that of the traditional students (those that go straight through college and into med school), and although I have far less time to devote to my classes, I tend to do better than most- I suspect that most non-trads find this to be true.

If I had it to do all over again, i'm not entire sure I would- granted, i'm STILL in school and not yet reaping the fruits of my labor, but still- it has been a costly endeavor both financially and emotionally. If you're going to do it, thank about why you're doing it- is it because work sucks or some other transient issue? That's a bad reason. Is it because you really feel a calling? Good reason. Discuss the idea with your SO and consider the financial ramifications. Apply for school WELL in advance so that you'll have months to continue thinking about your life change. While you're still working, make the financial changes you'll need to make and live those changes- see what they feel like. Can you handle it for the next 2-4 years? No? Don't go to school, and don't equate aborting the plan to failure- it's not something to be bull-headed about, and it's not failure.

My baby sister is my inspiration. She first did her Bachelor's in Nursing. Then she got her real estate license. Then she got her Broker's license (that was a necessity because her husband started having seizures and if something happened to him she would lose the business.) She volunteers at the Sheriff's Dept. And now she's taking one class a year to get her Master's. She will be 42 in October.

I'm still not sure what I want to be when I grow up. I would love to study anthropology, but I don't see much pragmatic use in that.

what's that song? "I don't want to grow up... duh duh duhduhduhduh..." Toys R Us took the song and changed the lyrics to fit their store and advertising but I like the original.

When I grow up I want to be like my baby sister. :D

My baby sister is my inspiration. She first did her Bachelor's in Nursing. Then she got her real estate license. Then she got her Broker's license (that was a necessity because her husband started having seizures and if something happened to him she would lose the business.) She volunteers at the Sheriff's Dept. And now she's taking one class a year to get her Master's. She will be 42 in October.

That is ambitious! And good for her!

Hmm.. what will I do when I grow up? Do I have to grow up?