How do you keep from being overcome with the wickedness of the world?

Vort

Lots of reasons for pessimism and despair:

• Mormons are openly mocked and hated. People openly and unashamedly wish ill upon us.
  • The wicked tell transparent lies. The consequence of their lies is that they are elected to office.
  • When the innocent are attacked, whether at a football game or at an embassy, the majority cowards quickly proclaim, "There is plenty of blame to go around! BOTH sides are guilty!"
  • Do not bother trying to explain either your beliefs or your viewpoint. To be blunt, most people are too stupid to understand what you're saying, and those who are not too stupid are generally too bigoted and hateful. You are spitting into the wind.
Yet we are told, even commanded, not to despair, but to be hopeful. Given the state of things presently and the likelihood that things will only get worse, how do you personally retain your hope in the face of such overwhelming evil?

The one thing that is most disheartening to me is people claim to be LDS and fight or speak out against LDS doctrine or the Prophet.

The things that help me are the following.

Hymns and other good music such as:

Conference and CES Talks. This one recently: CES Devotional, September 2012

Quotes from GAs and other inspirational people who believe our Nation was built by Heavenly inspired men.

and then this particular quote:

“The future of this world has long been declared; the final outcome between good and evil is already known. There is absolutely no question as to who wins because the victory has already been posted on the scoreboard. The only really strange thing is all of this is that we are still down here on the field trying to decide which teams jersey we want to wear!”

― Jeffrey R. Holland

and most importantly Prayer.

I personally have not dealt with too much oppression--and the majority of that has been via the internet where I can pretend the offender is an overweight middle-aged man in his unwashed underwear living in his mother's basement.

I also don't think about it much. Yes, I remain faithful in my testimony and my gospel duties, but I try not to get wrapped up in drama. If it doesn't concern me directly, I often find it best to state the truth politely and move on.

God's way will win in the end so that is what I think about when people are so confused about things. And yes I prefer to consider them confused rather than wicked or stupid if at all possible. I also try to see how I can change things even if just a little today. I am sure I am rarely successful but the trying is what is important to me.

God's way will win in the end so that is what I think about when people are so confused about things. And yes I prefer to consider them confused rather than wicked or stupid if at all possible. I also try to see how I can change things even if just a little today. I am sure I am rarely successful but the trying is what is important to me.

My Bishop told me Sunday as I discussed family issues with him, that we'll be judged on how hard we are trying not on our success.

I haven't been subjected to a lot of "mormon bashing". But, at one time I had a job where the work environment had a definite anti-mormon sentiment. (And this was in Utah, mind you.) I found that my reaction to this was sorrow, not anger.

I try in all my actions to portray what Christ would have me do. I try to love others as Christ would love them. I try to be an example of love and charity, so that my example will be a "light", shining in the darkness. I admit, I don't always have the right Spirit with me at all times. But, I do make a conscious effort. I want nonmembers or members who are struggling with their testimonies, to be able to look at me, and see me as a good example of the "true believers". I don't ever want to be the cause of someone leaving the church, or to never investigate the church.

Lots of reasons for pessimism and despair:

• Mormons are openly mocked and hated. People openly and unashamedly wish ill upon us.
  • The wicked tell transparent lies. The consequence of their lies is that they are elected to office.
  • When the innocent are attacked, whether at a football game or at an embassy, the majority cowards quickly proclaim, "There is plenty of blame to go around! BOTH sides are guilty!"
  • Do not bother trying to explain either your beliefs or your viewpoint. To be blunt, most people are too stupid to understand what you're saying, and those who are not too stupid are generally too bigoted and hateful. You are spitting into the wind.
Yet we are told, even commanded, not to despair, but to be hopeful. Given the state of things presently and the likelihood that things will only get worse, how do you personally retain your hope in the face of such overwhelming evil?

I am hopeful. It's a sobered hopeful more than an idealistic one.

I guess I believe in the goodness of these last days. I know many of us will take some hits. I've taken some and it'll probably happen again before I get out. But at the end of the day, all really is well. And it's well because of Father and His way of turning everything for our good. It's well because I have sweet relationships with people here and beyond the viel. I trust God's plan, what he is doing with me and my offerings from moment to moment, and I trust that good things....better things.... are coming.

So the world will continue to go to hell in a handbasket. And amongst all the caos there will be a few who remain pure and full of light and connected to each other in oneness. Perhaps they will be like the Helaman's best....suffering many wounds....but saved and preserved in the end. I plan to be one of them.

So....tell Satan to do his worst. Heck...he already has. I've got everything I need to stand firm against any old thing he can throw.

Edited by Misshalfway

I haven't been subjected to a lot of "mormon bashing". But, at one time I had a job where the work environment had a definite anti-mormon sentiment. (And this was in Utah, mind you.) I found that my reaction to this was sorrow, not anger.

I try in all my actions to portray what Christ would have me do. I try to love others as Christ would love them. I try to be an example of love and charity, so that my example will be a "light", shining in the darkness. I admit, I don't always have the right Spirit with me at all times. But, I do make a conscious effort. I want nonmembers or members who are struggling with their testimonies, to be able to look at me, and see me as a good example of the "true believers". I don't ever want to be the cause of someone leaving the church, or to never investigate the church.

That is one of the things I remember about you.

I am striving with all of my heart to make my home a temple. And by a temple, I mean, I am striving to live my life so that when my family and I are home, we enjoy each other's company, we are comforted by each others love and society and most importantly, I mean that the Spirit's influence or presence can be felt there.

I cannot control the way of the world directly. However, I can do my part to bring up a righteous generation. So, I am also comforted and I am honored to be able to teach my family, with all of my might, about God and His plan and about His Son, Jesus Christ. It brings me great joy but it also brings me hope when I see my children understanding the gospel and living it.

Regards,

Finrock

If we continue to dwell on the negatives then despair sets in.

We can decide to dwell more on the positives. There are so many great and wonderful things happening in this world that you don't hear about in regular media because it's not sensational enough. But, if you look for those stories, you will find them. Even the ones about other people's responses to the LDS faith. And even those right there in your neighborhood. The Catholic Church and the LDS Church in my town are always holding some charitable cooperative thing.

Try this one on for size:

Happy News - Real News. Compelling Stories. Always Positive.

Psalms 46:10

God is our refuge and strength—He dwells in... ...city, does marvelous things, and says, Be still and know that I am God.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

2 Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea;

3 Though the waters thereof roar and be troubled, though the mountains shake with the swelling thereof. Selah.

4 There is a river, the streams whereof shall make glad the city of God, the holy place of the tabernacles of the most High.

5 God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved: God shall help her, and that right early.

6 The heathen raged, the kingdoms were moved: he uttered his voice, the earth melted.

7 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

8 Come, behold the works of the Lord, what desolations he hath made in the earth.

9 He maketh wars to cease unto the end of the earth; he breaketh the bow, and cutteth the spear in sunder; he burneth the chariot in the fire.

10 Be still, and know that I am God: I will be exalted among the heathen, I will be exalted in the earth.

11 The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our refuge. Selah.

I worry about what my children will face in this wicked world. I worry about the way the world is deteriorating. I worry about the breakdown of the family. I worry about EVERYTHING! This scripture block helps me with my worry. ANother one that comes to mind is found in Doctrine and Covenants 121

1 O God, where art thou? And where is the pavilion that covereth thy hiding place?

2 How long shall thy hand be stayed, and thine eye, yea thy pure eye, behold from the eternal heavens the wrongs of thy people and of thy servants, and thine ear be penetrated with their cries?

3 Yea, O Lord, how long shall they suffer these wrongs and unlawful oppressions, before thine heart shall be softened toward them, and thy bowels be moved with compassion toward them?

4 O Lord God Almighty, maker of heaven, earth, and seas, and of all things that in them are, and who controllest and subjectest the devil, and the dark and benighted dominion of Sheol—stretch forth thy hand; let thine eye pierce; let thy pavilion be taken up; let thy hiding place no longer be covered; let thine ear be inclined; let thine heart be softened, and thy bowels moved with compassion toward us.

5 Let thine anger be kindled against our enemies; and, in the fury of thine heart, with thy sword avenge us of our wrongs.

6 Remember thy suffering saints, O our God; and thy servants will rejoice in thy name forever.

7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.

So I guess my answer is I find comfort in the words of the scriptures.

Just my thoughts,

Mags

Guest LiterateParakeet

Ecellent question...it is something I have really struggled with...there is so much suffering in the world.

I hold on to the Lord's promise that "thy suffering will be but a small moment".

There is a video that has been my rock recently. It is Pres. Holland's testimony and the closing song, My kindness shall not depart from thee" From the CES Fireside Lessons from Liberty Jail

My Kindness Shall Not Depart From Thee - YouTube

Enjoy!

I prefer to think the glass is overflowing with cliches.

If I convince myself that my co-workers are heathens and beyond redemption as they discuss the latest episode of Big Brother, then I won't be surprised if they distance themselves from me. Even better, I could live under a rock, convinced the world is again'st me and live my life with an inferiority complex, instead of understanding that all I need to do is look for the positives in life.

Great thread Vort. Whenever I am reminded of this question, with my own despondency or discouragement I take comfort in the words of Lehi, Mormon to his son Moroni, and the life of our beloved prophet Joseph Smith.

In the Book of Mormon we read, 1 Nephi 15: 27,

And I said unto them that the water which my father saw was filthiness; and so much was his mind swallowed up in other things that he beheld not the filthiness of the water.

What was Lehi's mind "swallowed up in" that he could not behold the filthiness of the water, or the wickedness of the world?

I am then reminded of Mormon's epistle to his son Moroni when the Nephites were being destroyed by the Lamanites. As an army captain Moroni witnessed and caused the death of others, even his whole nation. I have been impressed by Mormon's plea to his son, in Moroni 9: 25,

My son, be faithful in Christ; and may not the things which I have written grieve thee, to weigh thee down unto death; but may Christ lift thee up, and may his sufferings and death, and the showing his body unto our fathers, and his mercy and long-suffering, and the hope of his glory and of eternal life, rest in your mind forever.

Despite the chaos within Moroni's life and experiences as a young man, his father quickly put life into perspective by saying, "may Christ life thee up..." and let this thought, this idea, this truth, "rest in your mind forever".

I am then reminded of Nephi's desire and prayer to know what his father saw and witnessed in 1 Nephi 11. The angel appears to Nephi and asks him a slur of questions. I have always like the question by the angel to Nephi, "Knowest thou the condescension of God?"

Nephi response is so insightful,

17 And I said unto him: I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things.

Despite the wickedness something I believe which entertains the minds of all prophets and disciples of Christ, or "rests in [their] minds forever" is this:

1. They know God loveth his children

2. They recognize they do not know the meaning of all things

With this, they place Faith, Hope, and Charity by which they can turn their focus to what matters.

1. Despite the wickedness of the world, God's merciful plan will succeed and prevail.

2. They can either whine, wimper, and loose hope, or be men of valor, and stand up and be determined to serve God as others have gone before them. Do what is right and let the consequence follow.

3. As Joseph Smith wrote, paraphrased, "Shall we not move forward in such a great cause?"

These are my thoughts. Thanks for the reminder.