How would you respond to a plea for help from an inactive member?

Backroads

Background of this question: I'm not the only cute pregnant girl in my office--Co-worker is the other cute pregnant girl. We were discussing our plans for heading-back-to-work-or-not, and she believes she will most likely have to return to work and is starting to look at childcare options. Another co-worker suggested she avoid expensive daycares and see if someone in her ward would be up for babysitting at a more reasonable price. Co-worker does not feel comfortable with that due to her inactive status. Other Co-worker and I feel that probably wouldn't matter too much.

Question: Would you be more or less likely to help out an inactive ward member? Why?

Depend on why they doing the babysitting... The most likely reason I can think of to watch someone else's kids on a steady basis is if they are trying to earn a little extra money. In this case its less selfless service and more of a job. I see very little reason why activity level would be a big factor if everything else can be worked out

If my wife or I ever did a daycare or babysitting or whatever, "good standing in the church" would certainly not be a requirement. The requirement would be that we know the family personally, that they could make and keep their end of the agreement, and we figure it's a good thing to do.

Now, if I were outside the church looking in, I wouldn't expect to be able to use the church as a way to network or find babysitting. But if I knew someone who was a mormon and did babysitting, I wouldn't hesitate to call them.

The last thing I would want to be or encounter, is someone looking for someone else to take care of their baby for cheap or free so they can work, and they figure they can just call a churchy person to do it, because that's what churchy people are supposed to do.

Background of this question: I'm not the only cute pregnant girl in my office--Co-worker is the other cute pregnant girl. We were discussing our plans for heading-back-to-work-or-not, and she believes she will most likely have to return to work and is starting to look at childcare options. Another co-worker suggested she avoid expensive daycares and see if someone in her ward would be up for babysitting at a more reasonable price. Co-worker does not feel comfortable with that due to her inactive status. Other Co-worker and I feel that probably wouldn't matter too much.

Question: Would you be more or less likely to help out an inactive ward member? Why?

That would make no difference to me either. I am not sure why a person would see it that way anyways. Does she think that LDS only help if they are active members? That is too bad she sees it that way.

There is a difference between giving charitable service, and a service ordinated job. No one should expect a person who happens to be an active member of the church to be paid, or pay, less just because you are a member too. I worked at a Deseret Industries (a thrift store owned by the Church) some time ago, and one of the managers said there sometimes be people come in, flash their temple recommend, and expect to pay less for things. I don’t think that is right.

There is a difference between giving charitable service, and a service ordinated job. No one should expect a person who happens to be an active member of the church to be paid, or pay, less just because you are a member too. I worked at a Deseret Industries (a thrift store owned by the Church) some time ago, and one of the managers said there sometimes be people come in, flash their temple recommend, and expect to pay less for things. I don’t think that is right.

Personally I think just the opposite. I would think a good temple recommend holding member would like to add a small donation to DI along with their purchase.

The way I see Co-worker's situation is that she is simply seeking someone in the neighborhood for a business transaction--and that using ward connections might be a handy way of finding someone. I don't think it's reasonable she should worry her inactive status would be the deciding factor in such a deal.

Personally I think just the opposite. I would think a good temple recommend holding member would like to add a small donation to DI along with their purchase.

I don't think I was clear, there was people that came into the DI and instead of paying $4 for a pair of pants, wanted to pay ONLY $2, just because he, or she, is an active, temple recommend holding, member.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the DI can directly accept cash donations.

I think a lot depends on why she is inactive. IF it is because she just doesn't want to go to church, feels guilty for not paying tithing, or something along those lines...then I agree it shouldn't make a difference. She could approach anyone and see if they were interested in babysitting. That individual might need the money and it could be of mutual benefit to both parties.

IF on the other hand, she is inactive because she does not believe in the church, then she may not want to have her child indoctrinated by a member of the church and may just be using her own inactivity as a way to avoid hurting yours or your co-workers feelings.

-RM

I don't think I was clear, there was people that came into the DI and instead of paying $4 for a pair of pants, wanted to pay ONLY $2, just because he, or she, is an active, temple recommend holding, member.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that the DI can directly accept cash donations.

I did understand that some people think they deserve a discount. When I shop at DI I'm glad to be able to contribute to the good work, couldn't imagine expecting a discount. I don't know about the cash donation thing either, but I do try to bring something to donate when I go.

I was surprised that DI is no longer asking for volunteers as a ward assignment. Anyone know if that's church wide or just in the Phoenix, Arizona area. Sorry for moving off topic.