Mandatory retirement age

RMGuy

There has been some discussion that one of the big announcements may be an implementation of mandatory retirement age for general authorities including members of the 12, or that there may be a change in the manner of selection. Does anyone put any credence in this?

-RM

There has been some discussion that one of the big announcements may be an implementation of mandatory retirement age for general authorities including members of the 12, or that there may be a change in the manner of selection. Does anyone put any credence in this?

-RM

never heard of this, and i don't put much credence in this.

once an apostle, only death or apostacy will remove you.

Blackmarch,

I get what you are saying. As I have heard it, it wouldn't remove the ordination, but rather would extend emeritus status to members of the 12, in much the same way that is currently done with the 70. Remember that until 1978 the members of the 70 also served life appointments. So there is some precedent for a change such as this.

-RM

-RM

No, no more so than elevator revelations one heard from a friend of a friend of a friend's 2nd cousin.

:lol:

Highly unlikely, however anything within doctrine is possible. The church has evolved in many practices, but I wouldn't put much credence in this rumor being shared.

It could be another Quorum of the Seventy being added, or a temple being built in a historic place.

I also hear they'll be turning sunday church into a 2 hour block, alternating Priesthood/Relief Society and Sunday School.

A change to the music program - phasing out organs because nobody plays them any more.

Missionaries to Saudi Arabia (ten years ago it was China, ten years before that it was the USSR).

Callout to all saints to travel by foot and gather in the rocky mountains to sit out the world's tribulation for a winter (always being preached from the pulpit of a certain subscription-required message board).

I tend to hear such things a few weeks before every conference.

-RM

No.

Those that serve in the Seventy are generally granted "emeritus" status upon reaching the age of 70.

Those that serve in the twelve will continue to serve as it is a lifetime calling of service.

Selection will continue by the three "tions": Inspiration, Desperation, Relation! :lol:

(borrowed from J. Golden Kimball)

A change to the music program - phasing out organs because nobody plays them any more.

Is this also becoming true in the US? I've noticed that in my country, it is becoming slightly more common, although still a little unusual, for meetings to be accompanied by a pianist rather than an organist, but I thought that was more a local aberration, primarily due to the smallness of our stake.