Missionary age: How does this change things in your family?

Vort

I love the enthusiasm of the members for the announcement and support the change. I think it's good.

But I'm also noticing an interesting phenomenon.

Here is what was said:

“I am not suggesting that all young men will—or should—serve at this earlier age,” President Monson said. Rather, he said, the option is now available based on individual circumstances, as well as upon a determination by local Church leaders.

What I'm noticing on social media:

(Paraphrasing) "Oh my word - I have two teenage boys that I've only got 1 year to financially and spiritually prepare them for missionary service!"

I didn't get the impression that the age of 18 was the new mandate, but rather an option for timing missionary service.

Just seeing an interesting difference between what was said and how it is being interpreted.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that this is also an option. It doesn't mean they have to go at age 18 or at the age of 19 for young women.

Russell M. Nelson in a news conference right now states that we are not suggesting that all young men and women go at these ages. Many will prefer to serve at the original ages.

Elder Russell also went on to say that those that are financially and emotionally ready to serve at a younger age will now have this option.

Edited by pam

Keep in mind that this is also an option. It doesn't mean they have to go at age 18 or at the age of 19 for young women.

Russell M. Nelson in a news conference right now states that we are not suggesting that all young men and women go at these ages. Many will prefer to serve at the original ages.

I'm watching it and I know it is an option. I like the option and I feel a lot of people may go at those ages.

I love the enthusiasm of the members for the announcement and support the change. I think it's good.

But I'm also noticing an interesting phenomenon.

Here is what was said:

“I am not suggesting that all young men will—or should—serve at this earlier age,” President Monson said. Rather, he said, the option is now available based on individual circumstances, as well as upon a determination by local Church leaders.

What I'm noticing on social media:

(Paraphrasing) "Oh my word - I have two teenage boys that I've only got 1 year to financially and spiritually prepare them for missionary service!"

I didn't get the impression that the age of 18 was the new mandate, but rather an option for timing missionary service.

Just seeing an interesting difference between what was said and how it is being interpreted.

I read that on another forum. I have to say I personally would like to serve 19 rather than 21.

LOL! Pres Holland just said that BYU Pres Samuelson got no forewarning. He must be in panic mode. Good question in the press conference. Will the BYU incoming freshman class be all female?

And yeah, this is probably a great year to apply to BYU.

Edited by mikbone

Very few young men are ready for life when the finish high school. When my boys finished high school they had no clue what to do with their lives and to be quite honest that first year of college before their mission ended up a grand waste of time – either because of poor grades or change in what they intended to do for a profession following their mission.

I am thinking that this will encourage later marriages after both young men and women settle down a little a figure things out. Because most young men will be returning from their missions to find the best of young women for marriage serving missions many young men will be able to ease into social life without so much pressure to marry right away.

I think this may work out quite well but I am still glad to have served when I did. I am glad I was able to serve both a mission and in the military.

The Traveler

Very few young men are ready for life when the finish high school. When my boys finished high school they had no clue what to do with their lives and to be quite honest that first year of college before their mission ended up a grand waste of time – either because of poor grades or change in what they intended to do for a profession following their mission.

I am thinking that this will encourage later marriages after both young men and women settle down a little a figure things out. Because most young men will be returning from their missions to find the best of young women for marriage serving missions many young men will be able to ease into social life without so much pressure to marry right away.

I think this may work out quite well but I am still glad to have served when I did. I am glad I was able to serve both a mission and in the military.

The Traveler

That is true. Plus, I think it will help them with becoming less likely to deal with temptations or leaving the church. I also agree that it may make marriages later in life or after missions for male and female. I think that a lot of YW get married early and all.

I'm just thinking about my soon to be 5-year old son. He's not ready for kindergarten yet. He should be ready next year.

But in our church culture, once a young man was 19, there was a lot of "peer pressure" to get him to serve a mission. I know, I felt it. I didn't serve my mission until age 21. I don't regret it.

I support the decision! It is a good thing! I just think it's presumptuous to think that after watching the announcement that every single young man is saying "Yes! Let's go at 18!".

I think more PARENTS are responding saying "We need to make sure our boys are ready at 18." Well, it's not about the age, but about when they are ready.

It's simply nice to have the option to pursue missionary service earlier.

Imagine the conversations happening at high schools when young men are talking about putting in their papers for missionary service for right after high school!

That is true. Plus, I think it will help them with becoming less likely to deal with temptations or leaving the church. I also agree that it may make marriages later in life or after missions for male and female. I think that a lot of YW get married early and all.

I think more sisters will desire to serve and can now make "arrangements" for both their missionary man and themselves to wait until BOTH have served missions prior to marriage.

I think the number of serving missionary sisters will SURGE!

I'm just thinking about my soon to be 5-year old son. He's not ready for kindergarten yet. He should be ready next year.

But in our church culture, once a young man was 19, there was a lot of "peer pressure" to get him to serve a mission. I know, I felt it. I didn't serve my mission until age 21. I don't regret it.

I support the decision! It is a good thing! I just think it's presumptuous to think that after watching the announcement that every single young man is saying "Yes! Let's go at 18!".

I think more PARENTS are responding saying "We need to make sure our boys are ready at 18." Well, it's not about the age, but about when they are ready.

It's simply nice to have the option to pursue missionary service earlier.

Imagine the conversations happening at high schools when young men are talking about putting in their papers for missionary service for right after high school!

True some YM will probably want to serve at 18 and others at 19. I think maybe the pressure will be on them for going at 18 or 19. Parents probably will be encouraging their sons to serve earlier and possibly bishops may encourage it also.

I think more sisters will desire to serve and can now make "arrangements" for both their missionary man and themselves to wait until BOTH have served missions prior to marriage.

I think the number of serving missionary sisters will SURGE!

I think that there will be tons of sister missionaries and can wait for their missionaries now without any other temptation of men, well they will have elders near them, but still.

I think marriages and families will be strengthened with the greater opportunity for both parents who have served missions.

I think the greater opportunity is for sisters to serve at 19, versus 21... than the announcement for young men to serve at 18. I think there is a great opportunity here. I think of my 9 year old daughter. I will strongly encourage her to serve a mission prior to marriage. It'll be a great gospel and life experience for her.

Another strange thought of mine: with more missionaries, there may be less of a need for mission cars. This is good when the cost of fuel continues to rise. So, get more missionaries to ride bikes in smaller areas, and they'll do a better job and keep mission costs lower!

(Just my creative financing brain working!)

I think marriages and families will be strengthened with the greater opportunity for both parents who have served missions.

I think the greater opportunity is for sisters to serve at 19, versus 21... than the announcement for young men to serve at 18. I think there is a great opportunity here. I think of my 9 year old daughter. I will strongly encourage her to serve a mission prior to marriage. It'll be a great gospel and life experience for her.

I agree it will strengthen marriage and family. I think that the YM and YW when the come off his/her mission they will be looking for high standards in his/her future spouse. Plus, it shows to the couples children that they also should serve a mission. I think that some marriages will take place after the age of 20's. When I hear about BYU and BYU Idaho, I hear about how girls marry at 18-19 yrs old.

I'm all for it. I rather shrug off comments about "but it's too early for maturity/what about money?" because I don't think it's at all "You will serve at 18 and 19 and after that it's too late".

I think that if you are ready at 18 for a YM and 19 for a YW then serve, if you don't have the money your ward may help.:D

I'm not going to question the decision or even debate it. This decision is by revelation and is inspired. Just my thoughts on it.

I didn't get the feeling that this was a decision driven by revelation so much as it was confirmed by revelation. In the press conference between sessions, Elder Holland spoke of pilot programs, demand for missionaries, demand for new missions, etc...and went on to say that they considered several options (including having sisters serve two year terms--an option he said might still come down the road). This just happened to be the decision that seemed like it would provide the largest possible missionary force without completely disrupting "education, career, and marital goals." (his words)

(I realize you're probably completely okay with that--I only bring it up because the way you phrased it made it feel like someone woke up one morning and proclaimed they had a revelation)

Good time to be a guy at BYU too :wub:~

Unless your 19 years old. (what's wrong with him?)