Where do you live?

Misshalfway

I live outside of Seattle, in what might possibly be the most beautiful area of the world. The mentality and worldview here is left of center and far more leftist than I like, but the laws here also have a "hands-off" attitude toward homeschooling, which I like and find very important. Large LDS presence, though of course nothing approaching a majority or even a significant minority bloc. Cool summers, mild winters. Rains and drizzles a lot, but I don't mind the rain.

I had no idea you were out that way! I lived in Seattle for almost 5 years while at UW.

Do you think the LDS presence there is large? I didn't know any LDS while I was there, tho I admit I wasn't looking. Now I know one person and his family, but I've never gotten an idea on how many Saints there are in the area.

I ditto everything you said about the area. My son is seriously thinking of working out there when he finishes grad school and I would go with him when I retire. We both like the area very much; the beauty, taking the ferry up to Canada, the food (tho I don't like fish). Plus, I agree with you about the politics. Tho most people I knew in person were libs, I listened to a conservative radio station and there seemed to be a good number of conservatives out there, they just weren't as in your face as the libs. Also, gotta love a place where it's so easy to get a CC license. :lol:

I think I am developing a romantic fixation on Utah. I wonder what it would be like to live around mostly LDS? Constricting? Freeing? I don't know. I feel I'm on the edge with the RS ladies here, many of whom went to BYU or BYU-I and are young and naive while I've kinda 'been there and done that' for a bunch of things. I wonder if I would be too different from a born Mormon to be comfortable in Utah, but I'd like to give it a try.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think you are where my niece goes to college. My late husband's people are from Michigan, the Greeks from around Ann Arbor and the Finns from the UP. I went to UM. Michigan can be wonderful if you have an income and can deal with the winters.

We get chocked up at the 'Pure Michigan' commercials. It really is a beautiful place, but I'd be afraid to move there now 1) you need a Rep governor and 2) the job situation - though I've hear if you are in the health field, it may be doable

Well, we finally got rid of Jenny and now have a republican governor and house and senate to go with it, if you can believe that.

If your neice goes to college at Central Michigan, then we are there, I teach for Central, so who knows I might have even had her in class :-)

-RM

I had no idea you were out that way! I lived in Seattle for almost 5 years while at UW.

Do you think the LDS presence there is large? I didn't know any LDS while I was there, tho I admit I wasn't looking. Now I know one person and his family, but I've never gotten an idea on how many Saints there are in the area.

I ditto everything you said about the area. My son is seriously thinking of working out there when he finishes grad school and I would go with him when I retire. We both like the area very much; the beauty, taking the ferry up to Canada, the food (tho I don't like fish). Plus, I agree with you about the politics. Tho most people I knew in person were libs, I listened to a conservative radio station and there seemed to be a good number of conservatives out there, they just weren't as in your face as the libs. Also, gotta love a place where it's so easy to get a CC license. :lol:

I think I am developing a romantic fixation on Utah. I wonder what it would be like to live around mostly LDS? Constricting? Freeing? I don't know. I feel I'm on the edge with the RS ladies here, many of whom went to BYU or BYU-I and are young and naive while I've kinda 'been there and done that' for a bunch of things. I wonder if I would be too different from a born Mormon to be comfortable in Utah, but I'd like to give it a try.

I work in Seattle, but I actually live in Redmond. There is a stake in Redmond, another in Woodinville (actually, I think that's Bothell Stake), another in Kirkland,one in Bellevue, two in Renton. and three in Seattle itself. So that's quite a bunch of Mormons in the area, though as I said, nothing like a majority or a large minority.

Personally, I loved Utah. It took me a year or so to acclimate, but once I learned to see the beauty of the area, I was hooked. Admittedly, I lived in Utah mostly as a BYU student, which is not the same as living there as a regular human being. My wife, who loved the BYU life as much as I did, has no desire to live in Utah. I think she still resents how some of our home teachers insisted on talking with me to set up appointments... My mom is Utah born and bred, and she wouldn't move back there if you paid her. In any case, I thought it was a great place and I would not discourage you from giving it a try. But it's not for everyone. I have also heard Utah can be a lonely place for people of color, but I don't put too much stock in such condescending portrayals of the state. In my experience, you find what you look for.

I have also heard Utah can be a lonely place for people of color, but I don't put too much stock in such condescending portrayals of the state. In my experience, you find what you look for.

I'm light skinned. Maybe I can pass. :lol:

I guess it depends on what you can get used to. I've lived all over - and Seattle isn't exactly Harlem. Now I'm in one of the whitest states in the country. I'm fine. I also wonder if it makes a difference if you are colored and LDS or colored ( I'm pretty much forced to say 'people of color' on campus, so I figure we might as well go back to 'colored' anyway...) and not LDS?

Anchorage, AK. Got all of the benefits of a major city while still living 15 minutes from the edge of the world and last frontier. We have parks bigger than most states. Texas would fit inside of Alaska, comfortably. We have a thriving and accepting LDS community. We have wild life, tons of it. Some people go to the park to feed the pigeons. Up here, you can feed the bald eagles (may be illegal). They are everywhere. We have glaciers you can walk right up to and have a picnic on, if you like. We have more lakes, rivers, waterfalls, and trails than you can shake a stick at. All of it is just a few minutes away. We have wonderful restaurants and shopping. Seattle and Hawaii are a short plane ride away. It's easier to find a job as the economic downturn didn't hit up here. We even have our very own temple 10 mins away Anchorage Alaska LDS (Mormon) Temple and http://webspace.webring.com/people/or/rgpassey/pages/anchorage/anch1.jpg and The Anchorage Alaska Temple (HD) - Mormon Temples - YouTube.

Edited by AlaskaJoe

Let's just say that my hometown's airport is the closest Jet Blue hub to Disneyland, so you can tell the ones getting on the SLC flight. No, I don't have an annual pass to Disneyland as I don't go there enough to make it worth it, as I'm happy with maybe going once a year at the most. Average for me is once every 5 years or so. As mentioned on another thread, people go trick or treating even when Halloween falls on Sunday, and when the 4th of July is on Sunday, the fireworks shows still go on.

Let's just say that my hometown's airport is the closest Jet Blue hub to Disneyland, so you can tell the ones getting on the SLC flight. No, I don't have an annual pass to Disneyland as I don't go there enough to make it worth it, as I'm happy with maybe going once a year at the most. Average for me is once every 5 years or so. As mentioned on another thread, people go trick or treating even when Halloween falls on Sunday, and when the 4th of July is on Sunday, the fireworks shows still go on.

I grew up in Anaheim, with an annual pass to Disneyland. I hear you -- when you live there, it just isn't fun after age 10. I've never been to California Adventure, though.

Halloween is falling on a Sunday for me this year, though. All the towns where I live have specific trick-or-treating hours, and most of them are postponing until Sunday due to Frankenstorm.

Well, my husband lost his job today. Company not making enough pesos. Soooo......looks like moving out of Utah might actually happen.

Whoa! Sorry to hear this Miss1/2!

Let me introduce you to North Dakota... the shining beacon for the unemployed. There are more jobs than there are people in certain places in ND that McDonald's pay their burger flippers $15/hour just so they won't be tempted to find a job elsewhere.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Sorry Miss 1/2, that is so stressful.

Whoa! Sorry to hear this Miss1/2!

Let me introduce you to North Dakota... the shining beacon for the unemployed. There are more jobs than there are people in certain places in ND that McDonald's pay their burger flippers $15/hour just so they won't be tempted to find a job elsewhere.

Dang, makes me want to come to North Dakota!!!

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Guest LiterateParakeet

AlaskaJoe, I am green with envy...I lived in Anchorage for a year and I loved it. I swore I would live there the rest of my life.

So what happened? Well, first I was offered I job I couldn't resist in Bethel. All I want to say about that is consider the last syllable! But to be fair the regulars there love it. It wasn't for me though. However, while in Bethel a did meet a woman who would become my mother-in-law, then I moved to Oregon to chase her son (at least that is how he tells it)....18 yrs and 5 kids later, I have no regrets.

I do miss Anchorage though...sigh.

I currently live near Seattle and next to Anchorage, I think it is the best place on earth.

I lived in Utah (in Happy Valley...not as a student) for years. When I was there, I really liked it, but now I have no desire to go back. Seattle is home.

I spent a few years of my life in portland, most of it as a teen and adult in Washington not to far from Tacoma a better part of my life and the last ten in Vancouver BC Canada.

We all have the rain issue. You get used to it after all, it is what makes everything here green and gives us cheap hydro power.

Winters are mid where most days in the 40s with rain or snow in the 30s. We have salmon, forestry,mountains and the ocean at my back door with one of the biggest rivers down the hill from me. We have the largest Sturgon in the world. If you like wildlife, down town shopping, skiing, or being on the beach, everything is within 30-40 min from here. Not unusall to see kids with skiis on the city buses in a city of 1.2 million.

The down side of course, is since Vancouver was rated #1 most livable city in the world to live in the mid 2000s, is the cost of real-estate skyrocketed to one of the most unaffordable. My city grew 70 percent in ten years. Traffic is getting horrible now.

Guest SquidMom

You guys are making me miss Oregon, too! Lived near Portland, OR and just outside of Spokane, Wa as a teenager. Would LOVE to go back, but husband is from the Texas panhandle and gets clausrophobic around too many actual trees. sigh. Stuck in Texas. Not too bad, though.

You guys are making me miss Oregon, too! Lived near Portland, OR and just outside of Spokane, Wa as a teenager. Would LOVE to go back, but husband is from the Texas panhandle and gets clausrophobic around too many actual trees. sigh. Stuck in Texas. Not too bad, though.

Where in OR?

Guest SquidMom

No way! I lived in Oregon City. I don't know how old you are or when you lived there, but it's possible we knew each other in the youth/young adult years.

OC was nice. went there a few times. Only lived there about a year, though, in 8th grade. I am 31. (ssshhhh! Don't tell!):eek: