Anyone NOT cooking/eating homemade Thanksgiving dinner?

Bini

If you are an American and celebrate Thanksgiving but will NOT be cooking or eating Thanksgiving dinner, what are your plans? Are you making restaurant reservations somewhere? Or are you opting out on the traditional feast all together?

We're still deciding what we're going to do.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We go visit my family and eat all their food... yeah, that's the cool thing about Filipinos. Big family dinners are situation-normal events that Thanksgiving is just another one of those things... we just bring what we have to share with the rest of the gang like we always do.

The one thing different is the Turkey - we always have turkey... ever since my sister put turkey in the oven at 400 degrees for 2 hours, we don't quite care anymore if it is store-bought. LOL.

From the movie, Blind Side (a great Thanksgiving movie!):

Thanksgiving Dinner Lessons from The Blind Side (or Why a Pre-Made Thanksgiving Can Be the Best Thanksgiving) : FĂȘte & Feast

We are going to the Branch Thanksgiving pot luck. Taking Mashed potatoes and two Marie Callandar Pies :D

Hopefully two sisters stepped up and volunteered to cook the turkeys.

If we were still in AZ, we would go to either Olive Garden or IHOP for dinner. One year, Mimi's refused to seat couples or single diners. That is what happened to us, so we went to IHOP and had one of the best Thanksgiving dinners.

For Christmas if we don't go out, I may cook up a Turkey roast or breast with all of the works. But I would rather go out. The Adobe Restaurant in Yachats, OR serves a fantastic Christmas dinner, and Georgie's Bar & Grill in Newport, OR does too.

Going to my sisters with the entire family. My assignment? My rainbow jello salad that has 10 layers and takes FOREVER to make. Like about 6-7 hours. They better be thankful that I like them enough to do this.

Last year we were supposed to be with family but got a stomach thing the day before. Costco has a really good turkey breast that you put in the oven right from frozen, and it was delicious. It was enough for about 2 meals for my family. Potato pearls and stove top and a premade pie and it wasn't really homemade at all. But we set the table and made it special, anyway.

I miss having all of the leftovers when I go to another home. So I'm seriously thinking of purchasing a small turkey just so we can have all the turkey sandwiches and such.

That's what we did. We are going to my brother's house and my SIL cooks the majority of the food. So, we wanted some leftovers, but we will do our own turkey dinner sometime in January and I am looking forward to doing a traditional turkey dinner (I wanna see if my cooking skills are comparable to my SIL). :D

Going to my sisters with the entire family. My assignment? My rainbow jello salad that has 10 layers and takes FOREVER to make. Like about 6-7 hours. They better be thankful that I like them enough to do this.

I have very fond memories of my grandma making a similar salad. Bless you for doing this.

Nope, I'm going to sit around my tiny apartment feeling sorry for myself.

I've done that once or twice, but tried not to feel too sorry for myself as I always had a paper to write or something to take my mind off the fact that it is only a day. Can't you go over someone's house from the ward?

I'm not being smart here, but really, Stouffers makes a heck of a good turkey dinner. Clean your house, take your mind off of stuff and have a dinner and wash it down with a pint of Haagen Dazs.

I'm going to my home teacher's house, where there will be many children and I will probably go slightly nuts.

My son is shaming me by staying home (after having accepted the offer to eat out) and watching the Skins play Dallas (go Skins!). Even though I am eating out, I always have something at home for left overs, so I will cook something, but not the full meal.

I'm not being smart here, but really, Stouffers makes a heck of a good turkey dinner.

Stoffers, naw, Costco has this cranberry stuffed turkey dinner that looks pretty good. That, or most likely I'll go get me a couple of rib-eyes. I'll drown my sorrows in beef and potatoes.

I'm going to my home teacher's house, where there will be many children and I will probably go slightly nuts.

If it's any consolation, there will be children at my in-law's driving me nuts. And they will be mine. :mellow:

Get in your car and drive up here to Oregon - You can stay in our guest room and go to Church with us!

All it will cost you is the gas you use.

You do tempt me, but alas, I have to work. Besides, my car won't make it out of the county, let alone the state :mad: