How Much $$$ (Automotive Question)

slamjet

Ok, I got myself a new (to me) set of wheels and I've run into a dilemma... The spark plugs.

This will be the first vehicle I've owned where I cannot change out the plugs on my own. The backside of the engine (V-6) is up against the firewall and under some stuff and even if I disassemble the back half, I can't get my big paws in there :mad: So to not snap the plugs, and every thing else back there, I'm going to have to take it in. My issue is how much do I need to budget for and how much is way over the top (I bought the plugs and cables already)?

Yea, call me frustrated. I hate not being able to do the basics.

Can't help you with your question Slamjet, but I want to add my rant. I grew up where we could always do our own repairs on our vehicles. It just seems so difficult now days to do basic repairs. I hate taking my car into a shop with a basic problem that we used to be able to do on our own. Rant done.

I am joining in on the ranting. Its just plain stupid when you cant even change spark plugs or oil etc. On top of that there are lots of local ordinances FORBIDDING doing either or anything else for that matter.

We are all losing our minds not to mention our basic survival abilities. Its bad enough when we just dont bother but when we just cant no matter what we want to do about it.

Any newer V6 or V8 car is going to have this issue. What I have is a 1997 Buick Century but to get to the back plugs I would have to take out the coil pack. But there still isn't enough room for my big hands. On my Honda, I had to disassemble the air intake system to a broken heater hose. Mine is a mid-sized car but compacts are impossible, minivans even more so. But $300 just for plugs and cables has my skin crawling.

The #1 reason why it is now so difficult and expensive: EMISSION CONTROL.

But it could be worse. If you bought a new Ford diesel truck, to change the injectors they have to lift the whole chassis off the frame.

Slam,

Is there a backyard mechanic in your ward or stake? I have always been fortunate in that my Home Teacher is a mechanic. He has retired, and again I lucked out and found another local mechanic - Shepard Performance Shepard Performance - Waldport, OR

I know Shep from my previous life - when he was working for the car dealer in the next town. He finally took the leap about 8 years ago and went out on his own.

Ask around at church. Oh, how about calling Oil Can Henry? Or Fast Lube?

In both my cars, you have to take out the entire front bumpers to replace any of the front lightbulbs. Waaa.

But slamjet... don't despair... if you really want to, you can change those spark plugs and cables yourself! When they're unreachable, just spend an afternoon removing the parts blocking it. One by one. It's usually the air intake that's sitting on top of it... and a slew of electrical connections. Take one of those colored stickers (from the garage sale pricing or some such) and stick a sticker around the electrical wire and a matching sticker to where it goes and just unplug those suckers one by one. Oh, take pictures too so you can have something to guide you when you plug them all back.

And yes, I'll never attempt this on my car. Only on my father-in-law's junkers... :D

According to MItchell (they produce time guides for these kinds of things) it should only take around 1.1 hours to change the spark plugs on your Century. But that assumes you have the correct tools to do the job and all the parts necessary at hand. And sometimes the time guides are wildly inaccurate too.

1.1 hours? Yea, sure thing. But I'm going to try this myself before I take it to a mechanic. I'm so adverse to paying someone to do something I've been doing since I was 12 (yea, my old man made me). I figured cracking my knuckles while scratching up my hand and arms is worth the money.

1.1 hours? Yea, sure thing. But I'm going to try this myself before I take it to a mechanic. I'm so adverse to paying someone to do something I've been doing since I was 12 (yea, my old man made me). I figured cracking my knuckles while scratching up my hand and arms is worth the money.

Yep, if the shop were to charge $150 for it and it takes you 6 hours to do it yourself you've basically 'paid' yourself $25/hour in savings.

Slam,

You may be able to loosen the front dogbone and rock the engine forward to access those plugs. Most plugs in new vehicles are good for 100,000 miles, but being a 97 is probably due no matter what.

-RM

The engine is a bit rough so replacements are due. I'm going to put AC Delco Rapidfire's and cables in so that I don't have to worry about it for another few years. In looking at it, I can unbolt the two forward engine mounts but I'd rather not do that. I don't have a 2X4 nor a 4X4 to pry the engine forward and hold it there. Besides, the only place I can get any leverage is using the firewall and the alternator. I'm pretty ham-fisted so I know with my luck I'll break something. I was able to dig up my universal joints so I just may be able to pull this off.

Slam good luck...You may want to check online to make sure that the rapid fires will be ok..the 3.1's are pretty forgiving, and since they are delco's you should be ok...we put a set of bosch platinums in a 3400 once and got nothing but error codes and misfires. I would hate for you do do that work and then have to redo it.

Beefche, Kathryn would be there in a heartbeat...she loves grease! Weird girl...lol!

-RM

Slam good luck...You may want to check online to make sure that the rapid fires will be ok..the 3.1's are pretty forgiving, and since they are delco's you should be ok...we put a set of bosch platinums in a 3400 once and got nothing but error codes and misfires. I would hate for you do do that work and then have to redo it.

Beefche, Kathryn would be there in a heartbeat...she loves grease! Weird girl...lol!

-RM

Does she have a cousin named Vinny?

:)

Well, it is done. I changed them myself. I had to unbolt the coil pack but that was not the worst of it. The engine is rotated backwards a few degrees towards the firewall. So I had to really reach back there and work by feel to get it done. But it starts up and runs very nice. I have a meeting tonight so I'll get to try it out then.

So why change them? Well, the engine was running a bit rough and the cables looked eerily original so I was thinking they were never changed out. Well, check out the gap on these puppies:

Posted Image

Specs say it should be .060. I believe those are a bit more. But yes, they do look like the original plugs from 104,+++ miles ago.

And the obligatory car shot:

Posted Image

Funny thing, it's very, very close to the same color as my truck, the one that caught the eye of my then-wife. I dunno but I doubt an old Buick is a head-turner. :rolleyes: