Underappreciated Church hymns, overlooked or unknown

Vort

Another hymn to add to the list: I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. I know so many people who "hate" it because it's depressing. It's only one verse that is depressing. After that verse it's all hope and renewal! That's what people get into at the Christmas season, and that's what the Atonement is about.

Another hymn to add to the list: I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day. I know so many people who "hate" it because it's depressing. It's only one verse that is depressing. After that verse it's all hope and renewal! That's what people get into at the Christmas season, and that's what the Atonement is about.

This is one of my favorite songs. Yes it starts out sad and has to be sung all the way through! So much of what this iife is about in it.

I think

does a somewhat better job of showing the point of that song than the arrangement in our hymnbook. In his version, verses 1 and 2 are sung together, then verses 3 and 4. It becomes a more introspective moral story and is a bit more optimistic than the hymnbook arrangement is. I'd recommend giving it a listen. :)

This sent me on a quest to find more versions on YouTube. I have versions by Casting Crowns, MercyMe, and Jars of Clay (love theirs!) already.

does a beautiful version, so peaceful.
have a lovely version as well, though it's a little breathy. Also, there's a creepy "preview" moment (or two) in the middle of the recording, presumably to prevent YouTube downloading. Also,
, live, with a gospel choir behind him. He uses the tune in the LDS hymnbook (I think). (Speaking of big time poppy R&B artists doing Christmas music, did you know that Cee-lo Green has a Christmas album??)

Interesting thread! I am ward chorister and put the date in my hymnbook when I plan and we sing a song so I don't repeat it too often. We are singing I heard the bells on Christmas Day this coming Sunday.

When I first was called to this position, we seemed to sing the same songs over and over, so I try to keep it interesting. I do admit though, I wish we had more Sacrament songs to choose from.

This is the best calling ever !!:D

I don't have a hymn off the top of my head, as the one I was thinking of has already been mentioned.

Oh, yeah, "How Firm a Foundation" has special significance to me. This was the first hymn the Lord used to give me messages in/from. It happened on my mission...which was quite a trial by fire for me. I remember sitting in an empty chapel at a piano looking at the hymn. The verses were so significant to me. Especially the ones at the bottom that are not usually sung;

"When thru the deep waters, I call thee to go, the rivers of sorrow shall not thee o'er flow.

For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless, and sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

When thru fiery trials, thy pathway shall lie, my grace all sufficient, shall be thy supply.

The flame will not hurt thee, I only design, thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine."

The Lord often speaks to me thru hymns. Lyrics will start running thru my mind over and over again until I finally look up that particular hymn. There will always be a sweet and appropo message for me in the lyrics. It's a beautiful gift. I believe He gave it to me because I have been a musician for so many years. I don't know. Just so grateful for this gift.

Dove

A BEAUTIFUL hymn that I never heard my ward singing is "As the Dew from Heaven Distilling". I love both, the music and the lyrics.

1. As the dew, from heaven distilling,

Gently on the grass descends,

And revives it, thus fulfilling

What thy providence intends.

Let thy doctrine, Lord, so gracious,

Thus descending from above,

Blest by thee, prove efficacious,

To fulfil thy work of love.

2. Lord, behold this congregation;

Precious promises fulfil,

From thy holy habitation

Let the dews of life distil.