Will Heavy Petting delay my mission?

korihor11

I am new to the board, but I am dying to ask this question. I have searched online and haven't found anything and I feel this would be the best place to ask. Anyways, over 2 years ago I participated in heavy petting twice, with two different girls. Since then I haven't done anything wrong relating the LOC. I haven't repented of these sins yet and I feel absolutely terrible about them.

In this next week I will be starting my mission papers. I am just curious as to what to expect as a penalty to the heavy petting. I know there is no exact answer to my question and I know a lot of it has to do with if my heart has been softened and if I show true remorse. I am just curious if anyone here as any experience on the matter and if what I need to be expecting. I am willing to face any consequences there may be as long as I will quit feeling this tremendous guilt I've been facing recently. I plan on serving a mission next summer, I am just curious if this will delay me at all.

I would be much more worried about your own conversion at this point than going out and trying to convert others when you have struggled with keeping your own covenants. I'm sorry if this sounds harsh~I'm not meaning it to be. It's more important that you are truly ready to repent (which includes confessing your sins to the proper priesthood authority) at this time then it is trying to teach others concepts you have been unable to keep yourself.

Don't worry too much about your mission, though. As Pam said, your Bishop is the best place to start in getting ready to go right now.

I think that Dove's point is right on target. My son's bishop suggested that he delay his mission--it wasn't about LOC, WoW, or any of the other worthiness things that generally come up. But when he was asked about his father (who left us for another woman when my son was 16) a flood of repressed anger poured out of him. His bishop suggested that he needed to spend some time dealing with his anger and learn forgiveness before he could effectively teach the Gospel of Love and Forgiveness.

It goes back to what Dove said about being converted before you can convert others.

When I prepared for my mission, both my Bishop and Stake President encouraged me to confess anything and everything prior to serving.

Why? To disqualify me or to postpone my mission?

No.

It was to help prevent the feelings of unworthiness that WOULD creep in during my mission service. Without full confession, it'll will gnaw at you and you will not be an effective missionary.

The choice is simple: Do you want to confess before or during your missionary service?

Actually, if I were you, I'd also be concerned about violating the BYU honor code.

Why would you be worried about that? He didn't mention anything about BYU that I saw?

Apropos of nothing at all...every time I see "petting" in regards to the Law of Chastity it cracks me up, not sure why we give fore-play or making out nice euphemisms like "petting." Isn't that something you do to a horse, rabbit, cat, dog, etc?

-RM

I know one boy who had some issues prior to his mission, failed to fully work them out, got sent home from his mission.

I know another boy who messed up big time (in my opinion worse than 1st boy), took care of it in its entirety, and leaves in a couple of months for his mission. No delays (other than that pesky mission age change in the middle of his paperwork, but that isn't really a delay). Granted, his mess-up was a few years ago, so he had time.

But the point is, take care of these matters sooner rather than later.

Another thing: don't think of it as a delay. We have age minimums, yes, but that's really all they are. It's no one else's business how early or late you leave on a mission.

My brother's mission was "delayed", as he left some time after he turned 19. Why did he leave late? Business contract. For all anyone knows, a "delay" is as something as mundane as that.

Apropos of nothing at all...every time I see "petting" in regards to the Law of Chastity it cracks me up, not sure why we give fore-play or making out nice euphemisms like "petting." Isn't that something you do to a horse, rabbit, cat, dog, etc?

Outside of the LDS Church, I don't think that euphemism has been used since the '50s.

One of the oddest experiences in my life was a discussion on petting in the MTC dorm. With the actual phrase being "heavy" petting, the conversation quickly turns to the line between heavy and, the presumably acceptable, "light" petting. It was amazing how many different definitions could come from so few variables. (above or below the waist, over or under clothing) The only thing we all agreed on was that one of the guys definition was definitely wrong. He went down to the Branch President the next morning.

He was allowed to stay in the MTC. (this was 1988, long before the move to improve the quality of men serving that came out several years ago.) Your Bishop will need to make the decision in your case. You need to address it with him immediately. He will take several things into account. What you actually did, how long it has been, and how remorseful you are will all come into play.

Whatever your Bishop decides; accept it, do what is asked, and then serve faithfully.