Now I know the world is ending

pooter1

I have been called to my worst fear of callings that I always said i would never do but said yes to anyway.........Gospel Doctrine teacher. I am PETRIFIED!!! I am like moses and can't say my words right.I have made people upset on this very forum because I don't know how to say what I want to say. I am so afraid of being judged with this calling.There are soooooo many educated people in this class and Im not one of them. What is the Lord thinking???!!!!!

Well having had truly awful GD teachers I have to say you can string a thought together so I bet you do fine! It will keep you on your toes and you will learn a lot.

My husband and I subbed one week, dont ask why cuz I dont know, and it was on the Tree of Life. I think I know why the teacher opted out! The thing is I understand it a lot better now. Not sure abut the class! lol.

Remember Moses? He had a problem with words and he did good.

Well, my mom has been on the opposite end of the situation. Sitting in the audience of a lesson she has taught many times throughout the years.......and listening to another teach it.

Have you heard the expression, that sometimes the calling is more for the person being called then those of us called to support him/her in his calling?

I wouldn't worry about the rejection so much as I would studying your tail off for the lesson and then doing your utmost to follow the Spirit. Maybe there is something in the wings for you/others in your teaching this class. Maybe someone will be touched by the way you teach than of any others'.

I'm sorry if this sounds trite. I have always wanted to be called to a teaching position in the church without it being done. I think I will always be in the audience listening.

I remember being in a RS class once where the teacher simply read the lesson to us straight out of the manual. She may have been told at the last minute that she was to teach the lesson. I don't know; but, I don't think it could be done much worse then this.

I now remember that I was called to teach a primary class at the last minute when the regular teacher didn't show up. I remember seeing the lesson and silently chewing that teacher out. I felt so unprepared. But, I just taught the lesson the best I knew how in that moment, focusing on the scriptures it brought out and the concepts outlined by the lesson, as well as bearing my testimony. It worked out in the end.

I also remember one class where the teacher was always so unprepared and letting the class teach themselves by taking all the time talking about whatever concept the lesson was about. That was really disappointing.

Yet, as I write this the thought comes to me that we are a lay church and to accept what others do with gratitude and a grain of salt.

Other then that, I think if you prepare well and go by the Spirit, you'll come through this with flying colors.

Best of luck

Dove

Thank you for the kind words.I went to the training of the new youth program and I think I am going to follow what they are doing. More of a class discussion then me teach you answer questions.What do you think? Bad idea?or Good idea? When the Bishop called me I just started crying in his office. I don't want to do this but maybe you guys are right it is mainly for me and what I will learn. I just wish the thoughts in my head would come right with my words.

Guest LiterateParakeet

I have made people upset on this very forum because I don't know how to say what I want to say. I am so afraid of being judged with this calling.

I have not been aware of you upsetting any one on the forum...but if that did happen, keep in mind that communication is always tricky, and written communication even more so!!! So whatever you feel you said that upset people on the board, might have been much better received in person. :)

Possibly you were called precisely because you are terrified and humbled...and you will be much more likely to lean on the Spirit than those who are more educated. Having the Spirit is the most important thing. The Spirit can help each person receive the message they need...same lesson, many messages! You can do this...just enlist the Spirit.

Guest LiterateParakeet

What do you think? Bad idea?or Good idea?

I haven't heard the training for the new lessons yet, we are doing that this week....that said, it sounds good. More importantly though is for you to listen to the Spirit...so if you feel impressed to do it that way, that is likely the Spirit, so go with it. :) Sometimes the Spirit is very subtle and you don't realize until later that you were following a prompting.

More of a class discussion then me teach you answer questions.What do you think? Bad idea?or Good idea? When the Bishop called me I just started crying in his office. I don't want to do this but maybe you guys are right it is mainly for me and what I will learn. I just wish the thoughts in my head would come right with my words.

I've always looked upon the role of teaching classes in church as fostering meaningful discussion on the topic. Depending on who is involved you may need to teach in the more traditional sense of, "I have information, here it is." but if you're dealing with an average group of longish time members (as opposed to teaching a Gospel Essentials class) collectively they know more about the lesson topic, and more importantly have more experience with its application, than you do. I always felt that the best thing I could do was lead discussion and draw out experiences and applications from the class even if that meant we spent the whole time only covering 1/3rd of the lesson material in the manual.

Congratulations! Great calling! I echo what Dravin said: Your job is primarily as facilitator. That means that you study the material and prepare a lesson to cover what you see as the important parts, but you ask questions to draw the class into the discussion. Then your job becomes to rein in some of the more exuberant participants so that they don't inadvertently take over the lesson.

You may occasionally have to say something like, "I see lots of hands and would love to hear your comments, but we need to move on to [whatever]." In reality, it is seldom that you will "need" to move on -- if the discussion is involving the class and the Spirit is present, what difference does it make if you only cover 1/5 of the lesson? -- but it's a good way to get off of a controversial or contentious topic, or to sidestep Sister Jones' recitation of her theories on proxy atonement and multiple mortalities.

I have been called to my worst fear of callings that I always said i would never do but said yes to anyway.........Gospel Doctrine teacher. I am PETRIFIED!!! I am like moses and can't say my words right.I have made people upset on this very forum because I don't know how to say what I want to say. I am so afraid of being judged with this calling.There are soooooo many educated people in this class and Im not one of them. What is the Lord thinking???!!!!!

The L-rd is thinking that you would never volunteer to teach the gospel doctrine class on your own - therefore in order to get you to do it or even try to do work with him to do it - he would have to call you formally.

The Traveler

I suggest you study the videos on the new Youth program. Learn to ask questions of your audience and let them answer and teach the class for you. You don't have to know, understand, or speak well, as long as you can facilitate the class. This is especially true if you have a lot of educated people in there. Ask them ahead of time to prepare some thoughts on an issue in the lesson plan, etc.

I would rather teach than any other calling. I consider teaching the most important calling and a calling that draws one closer to Christ. But I seldom get called to teach - I keep getting called to "administrative" callings that reveal what an inept nerd and engineer (the opposite of management) I am.

What is it about serving G-d that requires us to accept calling outside of our comfort zone and do thing we really are not that excited about? :(

I guess it has something to do about worshiping and appreciating Jesus - that he really was not that excited about his calling either.

The Traveler

More of a class discussion then me teach you answer questions.What do you think? Bad idea?or Good idea? When the Bishop called me I just started crying in his office. I don't want to do this but maybe you guys are right it is mainly for me and what I will learn. I just wish the thoughts in my head would come right with my words.

Yeah, the point of the teacher is to facilitate, like Dravin and Vort said. I feel like the best lessons have been the ones where everyone in the room teaches each other. When one person drones on, everyone else seems to go to sleep.

If the Spirit is the teacher, then your job is to introduce the subject and help create an atmosphere will the Spirit can be present. Preparation, prayer, and love for class members are all key parts of that.

I am liking all these ideas. Prepare,Pray,Class discussion,Rein them in when getting off topic,study the new youth program,follow the spirit.......I guess Pray should be first on this list. Did I forget anything?

Nope, I think you will do fine and agree with everyone's comments. I taught GD class for 6 years in one ward. I think the thing that took the edge off for me at least was at the beginning of each class I would express my gratitude that I was called to such a position so that I could learn the gospel more than I ever had before and that I realized that there were many in the class that could give the lesson with more insight than I had and therefore appreciative of carrying that stewardship so I had the chance to grow. Then, the class would participate more, knowing they had more to add than probably I was going to provide alone. That also took the edge off any feeling I had that I had to perform greater than I was capable of. Those years were the best for me in terms of growing in the gospel. I learned more in those years than I ever did in primary, or seminary (oh yeah, I slept through seminary) haha. You will do fine, teach through the spirit, not yourself.

Nope, I think you will do fine and agree with everyone's comments. I taught GD class for 6 years in one ward. I think the thing that took the edge off for me at least was at the beginning of each class I would express my gratitude that I was called to such a position so that I could learn the gospel more than I ever had before and that

I didn't know out last GD teacher was posting here.