Christmas Menu

Suzie

Funeral potatoes, green beans, and rolls usually. And some kind of jello salad, of course. :) She makes a really good pineapple horseradish sauce to go on it. I didn't know that was an unusual thing until I moved away. :)

Love enchiladas! Eowyn, that's sweet. What side dishes are good for ham?

Creamed or scalloped potatoes, or steamed yams/sweet potatoes

Steamed broccoli or asparagus or cauliflower (or combo of all)

Hubby and I are going out to dinner. $21.00 per person, Baked Ham, Baron of Beef & Roasted Turkey (or combo of all three), Baked or mashed potato, glazed sweet potato, turkey stuffing w/gravy, and all you can eat salad bar. If you want more, you can have seconds. No extra charge.

This restaurant has one of the best salad bars. I love their three bean salad; artichoke hearts in vinegrette; marinated mushrooms/olives/sweet bell peppers; as well as salad greens, green, bermuda. and yellow onions; grape tomatoes; cucumbers; bacon bits; ham dices; etc.; etc.

For dessert there is pumpkin pie, mince pie, chocolate torte or small servings of all three.

Funeral potatoes, green beans, and rolls usually. And some kind of jello salad, of course. :) She makes a really good pineapple horseradish sauce to go on it. I didn't know that was an unusual thing until I moved away. :)

Pineapple horseradish sauce to go on the jello salad??? That is different.

I don't like turkey very much, so I always do a ham at Christmas. This is the recipe I typically use: A Year of Slow Cooking: CrockPot Maple Ham Recipe

I've never been much of a stuffing/dressing person, either, but I looooooove this recipe (I bake it all in a casserole dish): Thanksgiving Dinner 101: The Stuffing

I also make my own cranberry sauce, just following the directions on a bag of fresh cranberries.

Christmas Day will be at my FIL's, but Christmas Eve we've started a tradition of doing an 'international' dinner. Last year was Greek, this year is Italian. So...

Christmas Eve:

• Mushroom Parmesan Risotto
  • Salad
  • Bread
  • Zeppole
Christmas Day (at FIL's and going by last year):

• Ham
  • Macaroni
  • Green Beans
  • Mash Potatoes and Gravy
  • Pumkin Pie (which I'll be bringing)

Dravin, please tell me about the macaroni. Macaroni salad?

Macaroni and cheese, it's a Beefche family tradition. She can tell you more about the exact method of construction if you want to know, but it's either American Cheese based or Velveeta based (the later being a corruption according to her).

The problem when I cook is that I notice I make too many side dishes. I LOVE food and I enjoy eating lots but I need a couple of easy side dishes for ham.

Potatoes au gratin is an easy side dish for Ham. As is the traditional (because of Campbells) green been casserole. Though if you make the latter I highly recommend using fresh or frozen green beans, it makes a world of difference and doesn't make the dish much more complicated (you'll probably want to blanch the beans for a quick cooking time though).

Macaroni and cheese, it's a Beefche family tradition. She can tell you more about the exact method of construction if you want to know

Thanks, I would love to know. So far, I'm leaning towards ham, mash potatoes and gravy, green beans and macaroni and cheese. Also thinking in doing some stuffing (Wingnut's link)but I wonder if it's kind of weird to have stuffing if I am not making turkey.

Potatoes au gratin is an easy side dish for Ham. As is the traditional (because of Campbells) green been casserole. Though if you make the latter I highly recommend using fresh or frozen green beans, it makes a world of difference and doesn't make the dish much more complicated (you'll probably want to blanch the beans for a quick cooking time though).

It's funny you mention green bean casserole (I LOVE it) and I also love potatoes au gratin. Geez, hard to choose!.

Thanks, I would love to know. So far, I'm leaning towards ham, mash potatoes and gravy, green beans and macaroni and cheese. Also thinking in doing some stuffing (Wingnut's link)but I wonder if it's kind of weird to have stuffing if I am not making turkey.

I think it's just milk, American cheese, and noodles to reach the proper consistency, no secrets to it. But I'll point her to this thread so she can answer for herself.

It's funny you mention green bean casserole (I LOVE it) and I also love potatoes au gratin. Geez, hard to choose!.

I understand. In some ways, when it comes to holiday meals, I care more about the sides than the main course. Ham and Turkey become mere condiments to the side dishes.

My mom always made mac and cheese and it's so yummy (at least to our family). As Dravin said, we use macaroni (cook it slightly under done, drain). Add about 1/4 cup milk, about a tablespoon of butter (you can omit this) and then lots of American cheese. We aren't fancy, we use the Kraft Singles (or the equivalent) and open them each, one by one. We tend to use a whole package of cheese with a box of macaroni (maybe a few more slices of cheese). And we put all of that together in the same pot the pasta was cooked in. Just slowly heat that all up to melt the cheese. Add milk or cheese to get the consistency you want.

My SIL uses shells and Velveeta with the American cheese. It's ok, but as Dravin said, I'm not a fan of Velveeta.

As a kid, my job was to open all the cheese packets. I was "helping" mom cook!