Church releases stance on same sex marriage

RipplecutBuddha

Guest LiterateParakeet

Our parents, young adults, teens and children should therefore, of all people, be especially sensitive to the vulnerable in society and be willing to speak out against bullying or intimidation whenever it occurs, including unkindness toward those who are attracted to others of the same sex. This is particularly so in our own Latter-day Saint congregations. Each Latter-day Saint family and individual should carefully consider whether their attitudes and actions toward others properly reflect Jesus Christ’s second great commandment - to love one another.

Thanks for posting this. I particularly appreciated this part of the message.

Guest Godless

Since this thread exists, here's an article that I found very interesting.

I’m Gay and I Oppose Same-Sex Marriage | Public Discourse

M.

It's a very interesting read. It is also a single man's personal experience and views shaped from that experience. I respect the fact that he was able to find happiness as a gay man in a "traditional" marriage, but he seems to be generalizing the issue of gay marriage based entirely on his own personal experience. That's never a good idea.

I also don't like the fact that he discussed "philia" and "ero" as if there's absolutely no room in the middle for both. If a man and a woman can have a deep, meaningful relationship based on both emotional AND physical bonding, why can't two people of the same gender do the same? His view of same-sex attraction seems to be very black-and-white.

I also don't like the fact that he discussed "philia" and "ero" as if there's absolutely no room in the middle for both.

I didn't particularly like this part of his discussion either. It is true that, even in heterosexual marriage, we would say that a marriage based solely on eros with no philia is going to be rocky and unhealthy. On the other hand, a marriage based solely on philia with no eros (like many sexless marriages) is also going to be considered rocky, challenging, and maybe even unhealthy. I am glad that this gentleman and his ex-wife figured out how to live happily together as roommates while they raise their children. I don't think that this model will extend to other committed, romantic relationships, whether heterosexual or homosexual.

While I fully support the church's official position, as described in the attached article, I can empathize with my homosexual brothers and sisters. The church's position does permit and hopefully encourage full fellowship and participation in the church, but it effectively denies them any hope of a shared, healthy sexual relationship. In many ways, I appreciate how difficult and frustrating that denial is.

I find this statement from Elder Oaks laudable,

Our tolerance and respect for others and their beliefs does not cause us to abandon our commitment to the truths we understand and the covenants we have made. That is a third absolute truth. We are cast as combatants in the war between truth and error. There is no middle ground. We must stand up for truth, even while we practice tolerance and respect for beliefs and ideas different from our own and for the people who hold them.