Peacemaker

Anddenex

As you have studied the scriptures, and life's experiences, what exactly is a peacemaker?

Is a peacemaker an individual who always denies self, even when they are right?

What are examples of a peacemaker you have seen in your life, and why do you consider this example as someone who is a peacemaker?

Proctor and Alma Mullen, my grandfathers double cousin and wife. They were Friends and lived their lives with the highest standards of that religion. They were kind, gentle, self effacing, loving, and worshipped God in all they did. Proctor and my grandfather loved each other as brothers. My grandfather was everything Proctor wasnt. Quick to anger, abrasive, two faced, selfish, and unkind. It was such a contrast that only served to emphasize how Proctor carried a sense of peace with him and so did his wife.

When they walked in a room you could not even dream of anger or fighting.

Too me a peacemaker is a person that diffuses arguments and tense situations as much as possible and seldom if ever contributes to them. A peacemaker is a person who can look at a situation in various ways and consider many possible solutions and then will always choose a peaceful way to solve a problem first. A peacemaker will back away from conflict whenever possible and in a way that often eliminates the conflict.

One example of this would be if someone is looking for an argument with the peacemaker then the peacemaker will not speak and so there is no argument. Most times this action reduces tension. A peacemaker can state their opinion and belief and then fall silent if continuing to talk would create an argument.

A peacemaker learns to not use words that will immediately incite non peaceful reactions from others. The same goes for actions and the peacemaker learns how to act in such a way to reduce or eliminate non peaceful reactions in others. Techniques such as redirection can work with anyone to channel anger and aggression away from people and/or animals and often diffuse it completely.

A peacemaker does not seek to find offense from others words or actions even when offense was intended and has the ability to ignore such words or actions.

Guest LiterateParakeet

As you have studied the scriptures, and life's experiences, what exactly is a peacemaker?

Is a peacemaker an individual who always denies self, even when they are right?

In some scenarios, I think of a peacemaker as a really talented mediator...one who can see both sides of a problem, and help the opposing parties to understand each other better so they can find a compromise. At least that is the goal, it is not the fault of the peacemaker if one party chooses not to co-operate. For example, I imagine we had more than one peacemaker in the war in heaven, to no avail.

It becomes more complicated when the peacemaker is one of the involved parties in the dispute. Being a peacemaker is NOT synonymous with being a doormat, though. The peacemaker does not always need to deny self, rather to be open minded and strive to see both sides clearly...then to help the person/people on the other side of the issue to better understand both sides and come to a compromise or understanding. Again, if this does not succeed it is not the fault of the peacemaker, as they cannot take away another person's agency. At other times, perhaps the peacemaker will fail because even though he/she is honestly striving to see both sides of the issue, the fact is, we all have blind spots that we are unaware of.

To be honest, I think peacemakers are rare because to do it requires empathy, and real listening. Listening is becoming a lost art in our culture, and empathy (according to Brene Brown, popular author and researcher) is a talent. (People can cultivate it, but first they have to see a need...which requires listening and overcoming your own blindness.)

To me the best example of a peacemaker is Christ - as someone that is willing to offer themselves in innocence to suffer or even die to end the demands of retaliation from those seeking justice for the wrongs done to them and their loved ones.

I believe that wars can only end when someone is willing to suffer the loss of their dear ones, forgive their enemies, put aside their hate, revenge and sorrow and live in love and peace.

Another example is Jean Valjean in Les Miserable when he released Jovert knowing that he would still come after him.

The Traveler

:D

To me the best example of a peacemaker is Christ - as someone that is willing to offer themselves in innocence to suffer or even die to end the demands of retaliation from those seeking justice for the wrongs done to them and their loved ones.

I believe that wars can only end when someone is willing to suffer the loss of their dear ones, forgive their enemies, put aside their hate, revenge and sorrow and live in love and peace.

Another example is Jean Valjean in Les Miserable when he released Jovert knowing that he would still come after him.

The Traveler

That's so funny, Traveller! As I was thinking about the Q, the first thing that popped into my head was,

"Well. Not the Savior. He cared too much about Justice. And Truth. Turmoil followed him like a shadow. Not to mention dividing Abraham's church for the first time. With enough fallout from that in his own lifetime, even if one ignores all of the individual instances, the schism from Judaeism was... dramatic."

It would be totally unfair to blame him for all the Jihads & genocides, burning times & bloody reformations committed in his name in the following centuries, of course. Although one could, there's more than enough strife during his own life. :(

I think its interesting the different lessons we take from the same stories. I've never gotten peace/peacemaker from Jesus' story. To do the right thing, no matter what... To be true, kind, intentional/ aware. Justice over peace.

<grin> I like hearing how others have different perspective.

A truly amaaaaaazing thing has been happening in Kosovo/Albania in the past couple years:

There has been the HUGE rallies where whole families get up in front of the podium and publicly forgive their blood debt. Honor killings, life for a life, have been rampant in the Balkans. Since before the genocide, but after the genocide? Its been unbelievable. BUT Albanian & Serb have been doing this crazy/unheard of thing... And family by family are forgiving the killers of their children, spouses, siblings, and parents.

I quite frankly don't know if I could do so if I was in their place. If someone killed my son, my mum... I don't know if I could look them in their eye & grant them forgiveness & life.

What these families are doing simply staggers me. Its breathtaking. <3

Edited by BadWolf
Phat phalanges

That's so funny, Traveller! As I was thinking about the Q, the first thing that popped into my head was,

"Well. Not the Savior. He cared too much about Justice. And Truth. Turmoil followed him like a shadow. Not to mention dividing Abraham's church for the first time. With enough fallout from that in his own lifetime, even if one ignores all of the individual instances, the schism from Judaeism was... dramatic."

It would be totally unfair to blame him for all the Jihads & genocides, burning times & bloody reformations committed in his name in the following centuries, of course. Although one could, there's more than enough strife during his own life. :(

I think its interesting the different lessons we take from the same stories. I've never gotten peace/peacemaker from Jesus' story. To do the right thing, no matter what... To be true, kind, intentional/ aware. Justice over peace.

<grin> I like hearing how others have different perspective.

A truly amaaaaaazing thing has been happening in Kosovo/Albania in the past couple years:

There has been the HUGE rallies where whole families get up in front of the podium and publicly forgive their blood debt. Honor killings, life for a life, have been rampant in the Balkans. Since before the genocide, but after the genocide? Its been unbelievable. BUT Albanian & Serb have been doing this crazy/unheard of thing... And family by family are forgiving the killers of their children, spouses, siblings, and parents.

I quite frankly don't know if I could do so if I was in their place. If someone killed my son, my mum... I don't know if I could look them in their eye & grant them forgiveness & life.

What these families are doing simply staggers me. Its breathtaking. <3

There is an interesting book you can purchase through Deseret Book titled "The Peacemaker". The format of the book is a little juvenile and simplistic as a conversation taking place between a grandfather and grandson. The whole book could have been written as a pamphlet. Never-the-less the message is profound, endless and important.

One of the main messages I received that if someone does understand and believe that Jesus paid for all sin - they have no choice but to forgive their enemies for trespasses against them - else they make a mockery of the atonement. The bottom line is that not just your sins that are ransomed but so are the sins of everyone else - weather you forgive them or not. Thus the greater sin - in all cases is to fain and withhold forgiveness despite the atonement - even if the sin against you and you most dear is murder.

The Traveler

Guest LiterateParakeet

There is an interesting book you can purchase through Deseret Book titled "The Peacemaker".

It's The Peacegiver by James Ferrell. He wrote a couple other wonderful books too. In the other two he dispensed with the analogy, and just wrote the book straight.

"Well. Not the Savior.

Now, BadWolf, this is in part the reason for my thread. The main reason is that I am currently trying to understand what a peacemaker is, because peacemakers are "children of God" according to scripture.

We know our Savior was perfect in all character traits and attributes. Yet, at times the Lord doesn't appear to be a peacemaker, but we know he was because he was without sin.

Calling the pharisees "hypocrites" probably didn't bring much peace to the heart of the pharisees.

Thus, can we assume a peacemaker then is one who is willing to point out the hypocrisy within governments, clicks, organizations, etc...

Also, then we are peacemakers, I know I have heard Traveler speak this before and a lesson the spirit taught me myself, when the Lord mentioned a devil was among his apostles, the apostles asked, "Is it I?" when we ask, "Is it I," and if we discover "it is I" we can make the necessary changes to further peace -- truth.

The only way this is possible, is that truth brings peace, and if our hearts are inline with truth, then we will not be offended when our individual weakness is pointed out, thus giving us an opportunity to change...and thus developing more peace in our individual hearts as well as the organizations we are apart of?

Thus, I think a peacemaker is one who accepts "buffetings" from religious leaders as well as other leaders, only if the "buffeting" is inline with truth.

Edited by Anddenex

Now, BadWolf, this is in part the reason for my thread. The main reason is that I am currently trying to understand what a peacemaker is, because peacemakers are "children of God" according to scripture.

We know our Savior was perfect in all character traits and attributes. Yet, at times the Lord doesn't appear to be a peacemaker, but we know he was because he was without sin.

Calling the pharisees "hypocrites" probably didn't bring much peace to the heart of the pharisees.

Thus, can we assume a peacemaker then is one who is willing to point out the hypocrisy within governments, clicks, organizations, etc...

Also, then we are peacemakers, I know I have heard Traveler speak this before and a lesson the spirit taught me myself, when the Lord mentioned a devil was among his apostles, the apostles asked, "Is it I?" when we ask, "Is it I," and if we discover "it is I" we can make the necessary changes to further peace -- truth.

The only way this is possible, is that truth brings peace, and if our hearts are inline with truth, then we will not be offended when our individual weakness is pointed out, thus giving us an opportunity to change...and thus developing more peace in our individual hearts as well as the organizations we are apart of?

Thus, I think a peacemaker is one who accepts "buffetings" from religious leaders as well as other leaders, only if the "buffeting" is inline with truth.

It's such a cool concept... But its one I struggle to get my head around.

The B.Y. Quote certainly fits in:

"He who takes offense when it's not intended is a fool, he who takes offense when it IS intended is a greater fool." Brigham Young

But its only a piece.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Yes, I love that aspect of the Savior (along with all the others) because it tells me that you don't have to be a doormat to be a peacemaker. As an abuse survivor, that is important to me. When something was wrong, like the behavior of the Pharisees, or the money changers and those selling animals at the temple, Jesus did not simply ignore it to "keep the peace".

This tells me that fighting for what is right is also a form of keeping the peace. If we didn't fight against evil, Satan would over-run the world and then what peace would we have?

LP,

Your response reminds me of this verse Moses 6: 38-39

And they came forth to hear him, upon the high places, saying unto the tent-keepers: Tarry ye here and keep the tents, while we go yonder to behold the seer, for he prophesieth, and there is a strange thing in the land; a wild man hath come among us.

39 And it came to pass when they heard him, no man laid hands on him; for fear came on all them that heard him; for he walked with God.

It's such a cool concept... But its one I struggle to get my head around.

The B.Y. Quote certainly fits in:

"He who takes offense when it's not intended is a fool, he who takes offense when it IS intended is a greater fool." Brigham Young

But its only a piece.

LOL I researched this quote after my sister threw it in my face. :) Brigham Young did say this in a speech but from what I have been able to find he didn't coin the phrase. Confuscious did. :) If anyone has a better reference for this quote, I'd be interested. ty

Guest LiterateParakeet

LOL I researched this quote after my sister threw it in my face. :) Brigham Young did say this in a speech but from what I have been able to find he didn't coin the phrase. Confuscious did. :) If anyone has a better reference for this quote, I'd be interested. ty

Applepansy, sorry about your sister. :( But if it is any help...we have all been fools, and greater fools too. The world is full of fools and we fit right in. This is not to say that we shouldn't try not to be offended, but it happens...there are worse things.

Thus far into my studies this is what I have gleamed from the scriptures (what I find interesting is how similar my list from scriptures represents what each person who contributed shared)

THEME: Blessed are peacemakers, they become the children of God

PATTERNS:

~ Peacemakers seek to establish peace in the Land -- peace is not obtained without individual and collective efforts.

~ Before any conflict, i.e., war, contention, and spouse they make a call for peace.

~ They eschew evil, they seek to do good

~ They use their voice to edify and to uplift, and they ensue after peace, thus their minds have no intent to injure one another

~ When faced with war, they offer a banner of peace or make first a declaration of peace, if their banner is not accepted, they are willing to defend themselves: their rights, their families, and their way of living.

~ They renounce war and do not delight in it.

~ They repent and call others to repentance in order to keep the commandments of God, which ultimately bring peace.

~ Their lips are without guile and their judgements are in truth.

~ They have a correct desire to end conflict by executing judgements in truth.

CONNECTIONS:

~ Peace is obtained by keeping the commandments of God, and by repenting. (Mosiah 29: 14 & Alma 13: 18)

~ People / Cities which obtained peace by striving for it: Zion (Enoch), the people of Nephi after the risen Lord comes

~ The people of Nephi lost peace after four generations, the younger generations who did not hear The Lord speak during his return, and again Lamanites were upon the earth.

~ The sons of Ammon (Anti-Nephi-Lehi's children), who declared the only reason they fight is because the Lamanites will not leave us alone. They also did not delight in bloodshed or war, they delighted in peace, and in trusting and not doubting God. They kept his commandments in exactness. They were true at all times in whatsoever they were commanded.