Foreclosed, empty homes

There are 3 houses is our neighborhood sitting empty, with the stickers on the door regarding foreclosure. Two of them have been empty a couple of years, one (the one we'd be most interested in) just a couple of months. Does anyone know how we can find out how we might try to purchase one of them?

My agent, who is usually very helpful, isn't being responsive. The market in our area has blown up this spring and I think she has bigger fish to fry. :(

I didn't think of calling the city. Thanks.

We are actively in the midst of purchasing a new home. HUD/Short Sales/Foreclosures require you contact and work with an agent. There should be a contact number posted somewhere.. Via an agent, you can access all MLS properties in your state and receive alerts when new ones that fit your criteria pop up. In some instances, you can see properties before they are even listed!

We have an agent but we are not under contract with him. So we get the best of both worlds, we can inquire about HUD/SS/Foreclosures and also checkout For Sale By Owner properties. (But our agent will likely sell our home.)

Now is a great time to buy! Homes are super cheap but prices are rising.. Come summer, the market will sky rocket.

Call a different agent.... unless you signed something saying if you bought in the next 6 months it had to be with them..... never sign anything like that.

Maybe I'm naive on both following counts, but I have never heard of such a thing, and I seriously doubt it would be enforceable.

We switched realtors because the lady was unethical and the first thing the new realtor asked was if we signed anything like that. I told her I wouldn't knowingly and if she tricked me into it I'd wait 6 months to buy a house just so she wouldn't get the sale. lol

Our realtor was enormously helpful in helping us find an investment property we could afford last year. It took several months, and I don't think she made much off of it. Yesterday she posted on Facebook that she was excited to be working with so many new clients. We've been a lot of work and not much profit, so I can understand that she would focus on people that are going to bring her a paycheck.

We've been trying to buy a house from someone in our ward and that's falling through. Another long story. . . but she spent a lot of time walking me through some things and then it never worked out.

In short, I'd feel really badly dropping her at this point.

Yes, agents can be sneaky. If an agent refuses to work with you unless you (1) sign a contract right-off-the-bat or (2) charges to do a CMA on your home - those are red flags - get rid of the agent!

Our agent has driven us all over, from South Jordan up to Fruit Heights and back - we've seen about 25 homes and he hasn't demanded we sign a contract nor has he charged us to conduct a CMA on our home. He continues to send me new listings that have just hit the market too.. There are so many agents out there, you can afford to be choosy.

And we're not in a hurry to move. . . we're just feeling a bit too "cozy" in our house, which we bought when we had 2 children. Now we have 5, and they keep getting bigger. :) We also want to stay in our ward and if possible, our neighborhood, and we don't have a lot of money to work with, so we are kind of a pain in the kiester.

In my county, you can get all that information online - no need to go to the courthouse. Most counties have their property appraiser's database on a website now. The property card has the name and contact info of the owner. Those that are repossessed by the bank will show the bank's name and contact info on the card. Basically, whoever is paying the property taxes on that property is going to be on that card.

But usually, banks will not deal with individual callers. They only deal with realtors or put the house on auction.

Edited by anatess

Even if you sign such an agreement, I bet* they can't enforce it.

*I don't really bet any such thing. But I bet** if you took them to court over it, you would win.

**I don't really bet any such thing.

I used Zillow quite a bit when looking at houses. Was a great asset and it's free. I ended up buying a house that was unlived in for about 8 months. The bank did not budge on price, and they woudn't offer to do any repairs. it was bought as-is. It was worth it though. I had to replace a small broken window, and the main plumbing line needed a clean out but we had home owners insurance that covered most of the bills, so I highly recommend getting that. And don't buy at the top of your budget. You will need some money for fixing things up. The little things add up even when it's move in ready.

I used Zillow quite a bit when looking at houses. Was a great asset and it's free.

Zillow is a terrible site. Most of those home are already sold and yet the agents keep them online to lure in new clients. There are better sites that will help you avoid scams of listed homes that don't exist (be it that they're already sold or were never on sale to begin with).

Selling bank owned properties is what I do.

Check with the County Tax department. If it has already been foreclosed on, it will say who the current owner is. It will not have a lien if it has been foreclosed already.

As far as getting in contact with them, they will normally have an agent assigned. If there is no sign up, or you cannot find it on the web, then they are most likely not interested or ready to sell it yet. You do not need to have an agent to buy it. But honestly, you are not really going to save anything by not having an agent represent you. The Bank normally is not going to slash 3% if you do not have one. They simply pocket more money. On the flip side, they do not ask for more money if you do have an agent. They prefer that you do. It helps things go along smoothly. This is common in REO (Real Estate Owned) practices.

I am more than happy to answer any questions you have.