Any opinions about these cities?

EarlJibbs

I am on the job hunt and have submitted my resume to businesses in these cities. Anyone live nearby? Or anyone been to any of these places?

Littleton CO

Oswego OR

Tysons Corner VA

Fort Worth TX

I will try to stay in Utah, but in my line of work, there is much more potential outside of the state.

I am on the job hunt and have submitted my resume to businesses in these cities. Anyone live nearby? Or anyone been to any of these places?

Littleton CO

Oswego OR

Tysons Corner VA

Fort Worth TX

I will try to stay in Utah, but in my line of work, there is much more potential outside of the state.

I assume you mean Lake Oswego, OR?

That's where the Portland Temple is. It's a bit of a swanky-ish suburb of Portland. Beautiful city. I lived in a suburb SE of Portland, and Lake Oswego is west, so I don't know a whole ton about it.

I assume you mean Lake Oswego, OR?

That's where the Portland Temple is. It's a bit of a swanky-ish suburb of Portland. Beautiful city. I lived in a suburb SE of Portland, and Lake Oswego is west, so I don't know a whole ton about it.

Yes, sorry. Lake Oswego. That is where the office would be. I wouldnt necessarily move by the Lake, probably one of the surrounding areas. Thanks for the input.

I live in the 'burbs of Dallas so close - Ft Worth is a good town as long as you like it hot. Lots to do, a bit more laid back than Dallas. Lots of cultural events (Broadway plays, couple of major art centers, museums, Not to mention the Stockyards) 4 or 5 stakes cover Ft Worth and suburbs - 7 Stakes in Dallas & 'suburbs so a decent amount of LDS for being outside the mountain west. We also have a full size Temple in north Dallas and 3 other Temples in TX.

There is a 6 Flags in between Dallas and Ft Worth if you like that kind of thing and also the Cowboys, Rangers, Stars, and Mavericks make their home here.

Lots of jobs available in the DFW area, many Fortune 500 companies have their headquarters here, Housing is cheap for a major metro area and there is no State income tax

If you have to travel any of the major highways during Rush hour it can be a real pain.

As far as the heat, if you have shade and a breeze its not bad, smart people do not work outside during the heat of the day in the south though. We've been in Texas for 13 years now and love it here.

Edited by mnn727

I know both Fort Worth TX and Lake Oswego Oregon.

I grew up in that area, I'm from West Linn, but my church building was in Lakeridge and then we were moved to Lake Oswego when they built the Stake Center. As Wingnut pointed out it's very upscale area. I have great memories of going to Church dances as a youth. There are allot of members. It's an hour from the Coast and an hour from Hood River (Columbia River Gorge) so great for surfing and windsurfing. Oh and I guess if you like skiing Mount Hood is not far away and it has snow year round. See the movie The Shining to see Timberline Lodge :eek: Portland is just a 15 minute drive from there. I really like the area and would move there if I had the chance. It's going to be expensive, that's for sure. It's a nice area. If I moved there I would live in Wilsonville and commute to Lake Oswego (35-40 Min drive).

Fort Worth is a great place. It's super diverse, much more the Lake Oswego. It's got good schools. Your dollar there will go much further then in Oregon. You will definately be able to afford much much more home and property then in Oregon. Fort Worth and that area has wonderful food. I felt safe there, even though poverty is more apparent in some areas. The people in Fort Worth are definately going to be nicer and more welcoming then the people in Lake Oswego.

edit.. re Fort Worth, I agree they have way more cultural events. My wifes favorite was the Hatch Chilli festival. Fort Worth is definately more laid back. Lake Oswego is all about keeping up with the Joneses it seems.

Wish you the best in whatever you decide.

Edited by Windseeker

Want to know a bit about a prospective city - go online to the grocery stores in the area. Get the zip code, then check out their grocery ads.

Also see if they have a local newspaper online. Quite often they will let you read it for free for about a week. Check out their Homes for Rent, Homes for Sale and current news. I read their court happenings. What crimes had been committed.

That will give you an idea of the *cost of living*, crime rate and how the judges rule. I live on the Central Oregon Coast - when husband and I go to the Temple, we go on Friday, spend the night at a motel just down the street and visit the Temple on Saturday. We then spend Saturday night there too and check out on Sunday.

We got lost trying to find the local Ward, so we just headed home. Everyone we came in contact with (motel employees, grocery store, WinCo, restaurants, gas station, etc.) were very friendly and helpful. BUT in my opinion that is the norm for the Pacific Northwest. I was raised in Seattle - same - it is the Pacific Northwest.

My husband was born in California, raised in AZ - Casa Grande, and he prefers the people from the Pacific Northwest. Believes them to be friendlier, less judgmental, way more helpful without looking for instant payment.

You can also go to: Lake Oswego, Oregon (OR 97034, 97035) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news Want to check out the other cities on your list, scroll down a bit till you see the box on the left that has a City, County, or Zip Code in it. Type in the city and click on search.

Do a search for Realtors by googeling : realtors, city, state. The cost of the homes will give you an idea of the *wealth* of the area also.

Lake Oswego is in a beautiful area. Also close to the Oregon Coast which is gorgeous. So much beauty on the western side of Oregon.

I would agree with this. I live in the Portland area (grew up in the midwest) and it is beautiful here. Mountains and ocean both easy drives.

The biggest grumble I have about living here currently is the cost of housing. It's insane.

I would agree with this. I live in the Portland area (grew up in the midwest) and it is beautiful here. Mountains and ocean both easy drives.

The biggest grumble I have about living here currently is the cost of housing. It's insane.

What's insane to you? What's the average cost?

The apartment I had to move out of about a year and a half ago - 2 bedroom, average apartment, nice but nothing fancy - is now renting for over one thousand dollars a month. And it's one of the cheaper ones in the area.

Littleton CO

If you end up in CO for work, you'll be in good company. We came to CO from UT in the late '90's. We lived within 20 miles of Littleton for about a year, before heading to parts south.

Littleton is technically a southern suburb of Denver, but basically it's Denver. If you get a job there, make sure you plan life (housing, etc) to the south and southwest of the city, otherwise you will curse your fate trying to commute through Denver regularly.

Other than big-city-traffic commute issues, we liked the area.

Anyone live nearby? Or anyone been to any of these places?

Tysons Corner VA

I live in Vienna, VA, which is next door to Tysons Corner. Tysons Corner is technically not a city but an unincorporated location in Fairfax County (you can say its a collection of office buildings and a shopping mall). The cities and towns in this area has pretty much grown into eachother and its difficult to tell them apart. You might be working in Tysons Corner, but your house next block over might have a Falls Church address and, at the same time, be located in Fairfax county outside the city limits. What do you want to know?

I live in Vienna, VA, which is next door to Tysons Corner. Tysons Corner is technically not a city but an unincorporated location in Fairfax County (you can say its a collection of office buildings and a shopping mall). The cities and towns in this area has pretty much grown into eachother and its difficult to tell them apart. You might be working in Tysons Corner, but your house next block over might have a Falls Church address and, at the same time, be located in Fairfax county outside the city limits. What do you want to know?

Thanks Swiper! I think I added VA to my list of "would move to" places because of the cultural (colonial) spots that the area has to offer. However I am terrified of being so far from the west. I also get a little nervous when thinking about what a road system looks like that has no structure whatsoever (from a western perspective anyway).

I understand that it would be a ton more humid than Utah and more green... which I welcome. My wife and two of my children have some pretty bad Eczema, that the dry climate doesnt help.

Want to know a bit about a prospective city - go online to the grocery stores in the area. Get the zip code, then check out their grocery ads.

Also see if they have a local newspaper online. Quite often they will let you read it for free for about a week. Check out their Homes for Rent, Homes for Sale and current news. I read their court happenings. What crimes had been committed.

That will give you an idea of the *cost of living*, crime rate and how the judges rule. I live on the Central Oregon Coast - when husband and I go to the Temple, we go on Friday, spend the night at a motel just down the street and visit the Temple on Saturday. We then spend Saturday night there too and check out on Sunday.

We got lost trying to find the local Ward, so we just headed home. Everyone we came in contact with (motel employees, grocery store, WinCo, restaurants, gas station, etc.) were very friendly and helpful. BUT in my opinion that is the norm for the Pacific Northwest. I was raised in Seattle - same - it is the Pacific Northwest.

My husband was born in California, raised in AZ - Casa Grande, and he prefers the people from the Pacific Northwest. Believes them to be friendlier, less judgmental, way more helpful without looking for instant payment.

You can also go to: Lake Oswego, Oregon (OR 97034, 97035) profile: population, maps, real estate, averages, homes, statistics, relocation, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, moving, houses, news Want to check out the other cities on your list, scroll down a bit till you see the box on the left that has a City, County, or Zip Code in it. Type in the city and click on search.

Do a search for Realtors by googeling : realtors, city, state. The cost of the homes will give you an idea of the *wealth* of the area also.

Thanks Iggy. I did look up some cost of living sites already. Utah has a cheaper cost of living than most places. Oswego Lake showed about a 20% + raise in costs, especially in housing. VA had about a 43% cost of living increase and TX was lower, slightly, but has killer home prices. I didnt get around to CO yet. Thanks for the advice!

I looked around the area (casually) online and I couldnt find anything under $200,000 that was built after 1990 that had more than 1,800 SF.

Now in TX, I could snatch up a 2,500 SF home built after 2000 for $165,000.

I dont know about insane, but it is very expensive when compairing them. But you would also expect a higher average income which would level out the insaness IMO.

I looked around the area (casually) online and I couldnt find anything under $200,000 that was built after 1990 that had more than 1,800 SF.

Now in TX, I could snatch up a 2,500 SF home built after 2000 for $165,000.

I dont know about insane, but it is very expensive when compairing them. But you would also expect a higher average income which would level out the insaness IMO.

I'm not sure what the "official" statistics are, but I would not say there is a higher average income among most people I know. But the large presence of Intel, Nike, etc. might skew the numbers a bit.

Finding anything other than a condo for under $200,000 would be a challenge. But depending on what your income will be, the area might not present a challenge to you. My take-home pay is $1400 a month. that is a real challenge here. Even run-down studios will go for over $700 a month. I never even had a house payment that high.

But I would say the Portland area is generally a friendly place to live, with lots of activities and beautiful scenery.

Just remember Portland's motto, though 'Keep Portland Weird'. They take it seriously here! :D

and TX was lower, slightly, but has killer home prices.

killer as in low? That is what I have found.

I would love to stick to the mountains.

Well, you'd be out of luck in TX, this part of the state is mainly flat as a pancake, but we have tree's and a few hills.

Edited by mnn727

• 1 month later...

BiL lives in Houston so we're there once or twice a year - traffic is a nightmare - period - there's no other word for it.

Humidity is high, Parts of Houston are very nice, much is not.

I hope you're asking for a lot of $$. It would take at least double my salary to get me to move there.