Is It Alright If Lds Member's Drink Decaffinated Coffee?

when my dad went to germany on his mission when he explained the wow to people they had to be real specific that it was black tea that was not to be had, and that the herbal tea without black tea were ok. at the time there was a real big herbal tea crazy in germany.

Back in Joseph Smiths day and up until recently- coffee and tea were drank boiling hot. Not "piss warm" like it is today. As it was boiling they poured it into a cup and drank. I know - that is how my Dad, Grandma, and Cowboy Uncles drank coffee and tea.

Know what that boiling beverage does to your tongue, throat, mouth, etc?

They didn't drink chocolate that hot because it was made with milk and boiled milk tastes horrible. Same with soup - those boiling hot chunks of food stick to the mouth and throat and cause immediate damage, plus they never fed their children food that was that hot.

Shan and Maureen why would you even care about this? You are not LDS, you have not Covenanted with Father to obey Him, to obey His Prophets as we have. What is it to you whether we are commanded to do something or not? What are your feelings about those who do not eat pork because of their religious beliefs? Or those who do not mix milk with meat? Or those who will not give or receive blood for their health sake, etc.? Would you question and argue and make comments to them as you do to us regarding our Word of Wisdom? Is it not enough of a reason to be told: Father has told us not to?

What would you do if an older child or adult told your child that being told by their parent to not cross the busy street was a silly and stupid thing, that of course they can cross the street. Or told them that their parent did not mean they could not go with them, a complete stranger. That it is okay to come play games in my home. Or, your parent is wrong telling you not to accept candy and food from me, they don't know me, they don't know how nice I am. You would go with your child to confront these people and inform them that your child MUST do what you say. Well Father guides us, He gives us commandments and then has given us the agency to obey Him or to not obey him. He has given us Prophets to tell us what new things we need to steer away from, and also to admonish us to be more righteous, in other words Straighten up and do the right things. Choose the Right. He has also made it clear via his Latter-day Prophets the consequences of obeying and disobeying any covenant we have made with Him.

When I was baptized into the LDS Church, when I freely went and received my Endowments and freely made my Covenants with Father - I chose to listen to Him and to His chosen Prophets. Not to mere mortals as they express their philosophies and ideas.

I do not argue with you or nit pick your reasons, whys and wherefores for your beliefs. I do not argue that your must believe the way I believe. I am just asking why must you argue and debate my beliefs. I do not care that Wikipeadea has all this man made information on the goodness of tea, coffee, alcohol, wine, etc. Father trumps mortal man every time and in every way in that debate.

It has been my experience that those members of the LDS Church who question all of the modern revelations, the commandments in the D & C, and the words of the Latter-day Prophets, have yet to find their own strong testimony as to the truthfulness of His Gospel and His Latter-day Prophets. They nit pick at the most mundane things. If you can not obey even the simplest of commandments, then what is to say that you will be able to obey any and all of Father's commandments? Do they not have the faith required to trust Father?

How many of you who question the new commandments also question, nit pick, and plain ignore the 10 commandments?

1) Thou shalt have no other gods before me

2) Thou shalt not make any graven image

3) Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

4) Remember the Sabbath Day, to keep it holy

5) Honour thy father and thy mother

6) Thou shalt not kill

7) Thou shalt not commit adultery

8) Thou shalt not steal

9) Thou shalt not bear false witness

10)Thou shalt not covet

Why not iced tea and coffee - because they didn't have ice to put into drinks back then.

Herbal teas are not teas. They are really infusions, you bring water to just the boiling point, pour into a teapot, then you add mint leaves, rose hips, leaves, stems, flowers, roots of other plants and let this "Steep" for 10 minutes. In 10 minutes time the drink has cooled considerably.

Any one who drinks a variety of Herbal drinks knows that you have to be careful not to mix some herbs as they react unfavorably with each other. I have lost my list of herbs of what goes with what and what does not mix. So now if I start with mint I stay with it during the day. Or if I have camomile I don't drink anything else other than mint. Until I get another list, I am not going to risk it. Plus I also need to council with my herbist (herbologist?) regarding the medications I am currently on and the various herbs that I like to drink.

when my dad went to germany on his mission when he explained the wow to people they had to be real specific that it was black tea that was not to be had, and that the herbal tea without black tea were ok. at the time there was a real big herbal tea crazy in germany.

It is both black and green tea. Herbal teas are really infusions. They do not use the Tea plant. So check the ingredients, if it says green, oolong, black, pekoe TEA then it is not 100% Herbal.

I just want some of those 'mild drinks' made from barley and also other grain in verse 17.

The issue isn't interpretation or understanding the reasons why, but we must follow the counsel of the LORD's anointed servants. I could argue that the LORD's revelation to Joseph Smith explicitly permits beer in D&C 89:17, but the Elders of Israel today will not allow me to participate in temple ordinances if I am to partake of it. Can I argue with them?

If the First Presidency sent out a declaration that Recommends are not to be issued to members eating ice cream could we argue against it? If we ask why and get no answer should we eat ice cream anyway? Perhaps a 'scientific explanation' would soon demonstrate that ice cream is hazardous, would this then justify the ban?

Obedience is the issue. Our First Presidency has told us to partake of no coffee or tea, and no alcohol even though it be a mild drink of barley. We are not here to determine why, but "to see if [we] will do all things whatsoever the Lord [our] God shall command [us]." (Abr 3:25)

-a-train

Guest redruby

<div class='quotemain'>

debate is rampant as to whether these mildly stimulating drinks are banned....perhaps you should speculate where the debate is at..........part of the country I live in there is no debate.....

Hummmm so if there's no debate on this subject where you live where's that? Bluesaphires_n_diamonds :hmmm:

Well Bluesaphires...looks like I'm still on this lovely forum, (I signed on just to check) it will probably be just as difficult to get my name removed from this forum as it was getting my name removed from the church records! :rolleyes: but I just want to be removed from here!! :angry:

Mrs. S, it's just conversation... that's all. It's just interesting to see all the different excuses that everyone has... Some say caffiene is the culprit, some say the heat, some say tannic acid, but none of that is consistent bc you have other things with caffeine, heat, and tannic acid. I guess it's just a subject that I'm still trying to figure out even though I'm no longer LDS.

As far as just respecting someone's choices, that's fine. But why can't LDS just say they do it bc they were told not to, and admit that they don't know why?

As far as me not having a reason to have this conversation, why have ANY conversation about something that doesn't directly affect me? I just like to have discussions, I guess. I do it with a ton of topics... it's interesting to me.

I have a testimony of the power of obeying the Word of Wisdom.

After my dad was hit by a driver having a seizure, he was in a coma and had extensive skeletal and brain damage.

Despite all the expectations of the doctors, he did not develop pneumonia (sp?) or a host of other "complications" they expected him to develop. The doctors commented repeatedly that my dad was in great health for a then 51 year old.

He has obeyed the Word of Wisdom his whole life.

God blessed him with health in his navel and marrow in his bones (D&C 89:18), even after a horrific car crash. God promised my father that He would do this if my father obeyed the Word of Wisdom. My father obeyed. God came through.

I don't care why we aren't to drink coffee or teas, alcohol, etc...

I only care about acquiring the blessings God has promised the obedient.

And God does bless the obedient. We either choose to be blessed or we forfeit the riches of God's bounty.

Well Bluesaphires...looks like I'm still on this lovely forum, (I signed on just to check) it will probably be just as difficult to get my name removed from this forum as it was getting my name removed from the church records! but I just want to be removed from here!!

Red Ruby , don't you know we just can't cast our brothers and sisters into the outer realms?

BTW Its too late. You've been here. Everyone knows you. Like it or not you'll never be fully removed or forgotton. Too many people already know your name. :P

*******************LDS HIDDEN SECRET REVEALED****************************************

LDS spend all their time hunting down people who've escaped full brainwashing. People are not let go easily. You will be hunted, you will be found if you try to leave:) Every effort will be made to force you to stay where you want to be despite driving the other members crazy. After all the church needs all the tithe money it can get. Right? :rolleyes::sparklygrin::D:P

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously though if you hate the LDS church so bad why did you sign up in the first place if you couldn't stand it? To cause trouble? Find it didn't work? Maybe your punishment should be to forever have the name LDS talk stamped on your brain :rolleyes::D . You can be non LDS and still enjoy this site. Anti's and troublemakers might not enjoy it so much though.

Admit it. Theres a part of you that just likes it here though. That's why you just had to drop in and check and finding your name still on just had to make a post. :hmmm:

Shan and Maureen why would you even care about this? You are not LDS, you have not Covenanted with Father to obey Him, to obey His Prophets as we have. What is it to you whether we are commanded to do something or not?

First off MrsS, I think you’re blowing this out of proportion. Why are you so offended that I replied to the thread. I believe in free speech, therefore I don’t need to be LDS to reply on a WofW thread. If I have an opinion or wish to share information, I will do that.

What are your feelings about those who do not eat pork because of their religious beliefs? Or those who do not mix milk with meat? Or those who will not give or receive blood for their health sake, etc.?

I’m indifferent towards eating or not eating pork. I think it’s a misunderstanding of the importance of blood products.

Would you question and argue and make comments to them as you do to us regarding our Word of Wisdom? Is it not enough of a reason to be told: Father has told us not to?

Show me where I have argued with anyone on this thread regarding the WofW. And as a matter of fact, I’ve mentioned before on other threads that I don’t believe the WofW is a health commandment but an obedience commandment.

I do not argue with you or nit pick your reasons, whys and wherefores for your beliefs. I do not argue that your must believe the way I believe. I am just asking why must you argue and debate my beliefs.

Again, show me where I have done that.

M.

Can't drink coffee, but is it okay to drink decaf coffee?

Hmmm. Why not ask:

I know we're not supposed to have sex with anyone outside of marriage...but what if it's "dry sex" (a.k.a. Levi-lovin', et al). After all, it's not really sex...

:wacko:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well Bluesaphires...looks like I'm still on this lovely forum, (I signed on just to check) it will probably be just as difficult to get my name removed from this forum as it was getting my name removed from the church records! but I just want to be removed from here!!

Then why post anything? :dontknow:

Back to the topic. Hot drinks, tannic acid,ice, etc. It is about addicting substances.

As far as Shan and Maureen caring about this subject, they have their opinion and I understood this site to allow non-members opinions so I think that we shouldn't make that part of the discussion. A Latter-Day Saint knows what to use and what not to use. I think that Maureen's and Shan's opnions are valuable. They didn't come right out and tell us to disobey our prophets and Father. There were simply expressing their opinion. If they were to tell anyone to disobey no LDS person would respect that or follow that advice.

I think for the sake of debate these issues are raised. I obey the WoW because I know that when I didn't I didn't feel as well as I do now. I obey the WoW because if I keep my end of the deal Father blesses me with the promises he makes if we are obedient. I used to drink coffee, 4 double quads of espresso to get one eye open and now I wake up and get out of bed and am alert, more so than I ever was with caffeine. I don't need an addictive substance to wake up. If it weren't addicting why do we go through the headache/withdrawl and such. I love the freedom this WoW brings. When I smoked, I could forget everything else when I left the house to go somewhere, but I NEVER forgot my cigarettes. Now my house doesn't stink, my hair and clothes and car don't reek, my teeth aren't yellow, I am not coughing and hacking. The Wow is a good thang. I like being addiction free...well except for typing in forums. :sparklygrin:

Back to the topic. Hot drinks, tannic acid,ice, etc. It is about addicting substances.

As far as Shan and Maureen caring about this subject, they have their opinion and I understood this site to allow non-members opinions so I think that we shouldn't make that part of the discussion. A Latter-Day Saint knows what to use and what not to use. I think that Maureen's and Shan's opnions are valuable. They didn't come right out and tell us to disobey our prophets and Father. There were simply expressing their opinion. If they were to tell anyone to disobey no LDS person would respect that or follow that advice.

I think for the sake of debate these issues are raised. I obey the WoW because I know that when I didn't I didn't feel as well as I do now. I obey the WoW because if I keep my end of the deal Father blesses me with the promises he makes if we are obedient. I used to drink coffee, 4 double quads of espresso to get one eye open and now I wake up and get out of bed and am alert, more so than I ever was with caffeine. I don't need an addictive substance to wake up. If it weren't addicting why do we go through the headache/withdrawl and such. I love the freedom this WoW brings. When I smoked, I could forget everything else when I left the house to go somewhere, but I NEVER forgot my cigarettes. Now my house doesn't stink, my hair and clothes and car don't reek, my teeth aren't yellow, I am not coughing and hacking. The Wow is a good thang. I like being addiction free...well except for typing in forums. :sparklygrin:

Thanks Sugarbay. So, it looks like you think the WoW is talking about the caffeine. Do you believe that's the offending substance? If so, do you think drinking coke is ok? What about decaf coffee? Is that OK? BTW, anything that bans smoking has its merits! Talk about a disgusting habit!

<div class='quotemain'>

Thanks Sugarbay. So, it looks like you think the WoW is talking about the caffeine. Do you believe that's the offending substance? If so, do you think drinking coke is ok? What about decaf coffee? Is that OK? BTW, anything that bans smoking has its merits! Talk about a disgusting habit!

You're welcome. Yes, I believe the caffeine is the offending substance...addicting. No, Coke isn't okay, or Mt. Dew, etc. If I go overboard on chocolate I get buzzed. I had a hard time with that but I used to be a comfirmed chocoholic. I couldn't believe something so wonderful as a Godiva chocolate could have caffeine in it. Talk about grim. So, I take it easy in the choco dept, too. I dont want to be addicted to anything that creates it's own need. I like the freedom from being addicted.

Re: decaf coffee. As I stated in an earlier post it is the appearance of drinking it. What if I were in a restaurant drinking decaf and someone saw me that knew I was LDS? What if they were interested in the church? They dont know it is decaf. What if my Bishop or Stake Prez were to come in and see me drinking "coffee" and they have just signed my temple recommend? :o

Smoking is a filthy habit. I can't believe I ever smoked. I was at a friends house today and she smokes outside but when she came back into her own house she just reeked. But, I sympathize. Been there, got that t-shirt.