"Orthodox" Mormons

Backroads

I am not close minded about this, but my opinion is that this type of labeling each other will not help the saints uplift one another.

Yeah, I think Earl wins the thread. It is most charitable to see each other as sons and daughters of God, inheritors of a divine birthright. For that matter, it helps go through life to see people in general like this, lds or non.

Also, it's really hard to draw a circle and figure out who to include and who to exclude. For example:

I talk about 'orthodox' Mormons all of the time - people who won't have a TV in the house (unless it's connected to Netflix), who don't have caffeinated drinks even though there's no WOW against it, women who spend inordinate amounts of time crafting, etc., or who never say 'no,' even when they are overwhelmed with children and callings.

Me and my house actually fits the first 3 here. But, it's no caffeine because of health reasons, everything on TV is crap not worth watching, and wife is always crafting because doing something with her fingers allows her ADD brain to remain in conversations with people. I think most people who have known us more than 5 minutes would get a chuckle at being grouped with these folks.

At the end of the day, folks just have odd LDS-related experiences in Utah (and maybe Idaho) that you just don't have anywhere else. And lighthearted talking about such things can, well, lighten hearts if gone about the right way.

It seems that over time, Blacks have preferred the term "African American", and so that's what I tend to use.

Now, the only way that I see that a person would be offended being called a "Liberal Mormon" was if he were a conservative, and vice versa. It can be tricky because we interpret others in our own light and not necessarily how they see themselves. I lean towards being less conventional, so it's only fitting for others to refer to me as being a Liberal, etc -- it's not offensive. But if someone said, "Hey, you're really conservative," I'd be like what!? -- I am not! Really? It would be a first, I admit.

If you refer to black people as 'blacks' dont walk unprotected in Harlem. that has slavery connotations you just really dont want to use. Its like calling black men 'boy'.

I have been called conservative by my son back when he was trying to reconcile my faith with my liberal politics. He was TRYING to be nice but I was insulted.

Orthodox LDS dont try to reconcile the world to their beliefs. I consider myself orthodox even though I wont stand at a restaurant table and refuse to be seated until the coffee cups are removed. My husbands first wife's parents actually did that. Very embarrassing I hear.

If you refer to black people as 'blacks' dont walk unprotected in Harlem. that has slavery connotations you just really dont want to use. Its like calling black men 'boy'.

I have been called conservative by my son back when he was trying to reconcile my faith with my liberal politics. He was TRYING to be nice but I was insulted.

Orthodox LDS dont try to reconcile the world to their beliefs. I consider myself orthodox even though I wont stand at a restaurant table and refuse to be seated until the coffee cups are removed. My husbands first wife's parents actually did that. Very embarrassing I hear.

I had to use "Black" because I was already highlighting the usage of "African American" and its difference from less savoury words (to most) like "Negro" or "N-Word".

In my situation, I always considered myself a "Utah Mormon". I freely admit to happily living in Utah, to enjoy the large Mormon community, like "the bubble", etc. But in the Ogden/Logan areas where I have spent my life, there is a fair amount of "Gentiles" as well.

But still, I was a Utah Mormon!

And this little trip... still in Utah! I couldn't believe how the attitude was.

Once again, with no intention of offending those who feel this way (though I still am astounded by it) we stayed at a place where the hostess believed the Holy Spirit had guided her family. She wished it to remain a spiritual center. One group of guests had fled early in the morning, and she believes this was because the Spirit was too strong for them. I just kept thinking "this ain't the temple".

This was just one example.

My sister had spent some time in the area and said many people there were kind of like that.

Not saying it's wrong. But it made me wonder if my personal definition of Utah Mormon and "the Bubble" was off.

everything on TV is crap not worth watching

Broad brush, my friend. Everything on TV is NOT crap. There are travel and animal shows, classic movies, music, news, and specials from the Church on BYUTV. Personally, there's very little on broadcast TV that interests me, but I think it's more because it's aimed at 15-25 yr olds. On cable, however, I find a wealth of worthwhile TV that educates and entertains me.

btw re other comments - i refer to black people as 'blacks.' I don't believe in hyphenated Americans.

It is still in my mind to go to Utah. It's kinda like a Catholic going to the Vatican, I suppose. I need to see it and feel it. If it's different from the LDS experience in other parts of the country, I want to experience it. Maybe I'll feel uncomfortable, maybe I'll love it.

Broad brush, my friend. Everything on TV is NOT crap. There are travel and animal shows, classic movies, music, news, and specials from the Church on BYUTV. Personally, there's very little on broadcast TV that interests me, but I think it's more because it's aimed at 15-25 yr olds. On cable, however, I find a wealth of worthwhile TV that educates and entertains me.

Exactly. If it wasn't for my childhood of watching The Price is Right I think I still wouldn't know how to say "one dollar!"

Good morning Backroads. I hope you have been doing well! :)

And this little trip... still in Utah! I couldn't believe how the attitude was.

Once again, with no intention of offending those who feel this way (though I still am astounded by it) we stayed at a place where the hostess believed the Holy Spirit had guided her family. She wished it to remain a spiritual center. One group of guests had fled early in the morning, and she believes this was because the Spirit was too strong for them. I just kept thinking "this ain't the temple".

If I were to take issue with anything here it would not be with the fact that the woman wanted and even could have made her abode a temple. Indeed “only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness” (BD:Temples).

Our homes should be sacred and holy places where the Spirit can reside unrestrained. It should be a refuge from the world for your family and others.

As you center your home on the Savior, it will naturally become a refuge not only to your own family but also to friends who live in more difficult circumstances. They will be drawn to the serenity they feel there. Welcome such friends into your home. They will blossom in that Christ-centered environment. Become friends with your children’s friends. Be a worthy example to them.

One of the greatest blessings we can offer to the world is the power of a Christ-centered home where the gospel is taught, covenants are kept, and love abounds. (For Peace at Home)

If anything I can see where someone might feel that she is being a bit boastful or prideful and if this is a place of business it also comes off as maybe she is trying to use the story to boost profits.

Then again, what do I know about this woman? Not a hill of beans.

Regards,

Finrock

Edited by Finrock
Minor clarification; Added link to Elder Scott article.

I thought we all lived in the mission field. :confused:

I'm just a Mormon. I happen to live in a particular state, but my belief's are no different, doctrinally, then any other state or country. What I find most interesting about "Utah Mormons" as a label is when I press people for what they mean, they usually can't answer. When they eventually find something to say, always derogatory, I have had the exact same experiences in every state I've attended LDS services. I have found the behaviors they pin on "Utah Mormons" in Utah, California, New Jersey, Nevada, Arizona, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Kansas, Delaware, Idaho, Wyoming, Maryland and Oregon (those being the states I have most often gone to LDS services in). The worst offenders (in alphabetical order) have been Arizona, California, Delaware and Utah.

I'll be in AZ for a couple of weeks. The ward I attend there has stopped using that term when I am in attendance. I hope because they have matured as opposed to being afraid of what I will say when they use that term.

Edited by mirkwood

Good morning Backroads. I hope you have been doing well! :)

If I were to take issue with anything here it would not be with the fact that the woman wanted and even could have made her abode a temple. Indeed “only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness” (BD:Temples).

Our homes should be sacred and holy places where the Spirit can reside unrestrained. It should be a refuge from the world for your family and others.

If anything I can see where someone might feel that she is being a bit boastful or prideful and if this is a place of business it also comes off as maybe she is trying to use the story to boost profits.

Then again, what do I know about this woman? Not a hill of beans.

Regards,

Finrock

I don't see myself taking issue with it, really; I was just surprised at her attitude about it. I had never seen anyone speak of their home that way.

The main difference with the classic 'Utah Mormon', as opposed to, say, the classic 'Idaho Mormon', is that Utah Mormons tend to drive I-84 like it's the Indy 500 and us locals are still pushing/pulling handcarts. But this might be an unfair generalization :D

Well, what if your from California but when people meet you they think you are either "Idaho Mormon" or "Utah Mormon" -- what does that make me?

Orthodox, but not Orthodox, luke warm (spew me out), not connected to Netflix, but have Hulu+ (but this is more due to a lack of funds and my wife wins this war).

I am then an "Ortho-Cali-Mormon" :D

Yep, genius I just coined a phrase, feel free to use it anytime.

Hey Mon!

What about Or-Cali-Mon

...you know,... ol' Joe Pokemon?

Oh.... c'mon mon!

:D