Why no mention of the Pearl of Great Price?

Something I have noticed as I've been investigating the Church is that there is a heavy emphasis on the Book of Mormon and the missionaries always mention it. But they never mention The Pearl of Great Price? Why is that?

After reading parts of the Gospel Principles book, I noticed many references to the Book of Moses and the Book of Abraham. So it looks like The Pearl of Great Price has a lot of theological importance, so why isn't there any mention of it?

Thanks!

That's a great question!

I think there are two parts to answering this.

1) Emphasis is placed on The Book of Mormon because of its purpose. We can learn of the purpose of The Book of Mormon on its title page (which was written by Moroni himself).

Title PageÂ*

An Account Written by the Hand of Mormon upon Plates Taken from the Plates of Nephi

Wherefore, it is an abridgment of the record of the people of Nephi, and also of the Lamanites—Written to the Lamanites, who are a remnant of the house of Israel; and also to Jew and Gentile—Written by way of commandment, and also by the spirit of prophecy and of revelation—Written and sealed up, and hid up unto the Lord, that they might not be destroyed—To come forth by the gift and power of God unto the interpretation thereof—Sealed by the hand of Moroni, and hid up unto the Lord, to come forth in due time by way of the Gentile—The interpretation thereof by the gift of God.

An abridgment taken from the Book of Ether also, which is a record of the people of Jared, who were scattered at the time the Lord confounded the language of the people, when they were building a tower to get to heaven—Which is to show unto the remnant of the house of Israel what great things the Lord hath done for their fathers; and that they may know the covenants of the Lord, that they are not cast off forever—And also to the convincing of the Jew and Gentile that Jesus is the Christ, the Eternal God, manifesting himself unto all nations—And now, if there are faults they are the mistakes of men; wherefore, condemn not the things of God, that ye may be found spotless at the judgment-seat of Christ.

TRANSLATED BY JOSEPH SMITH, Jun.

2) The Pearl of Great Price is a great volume of scripture. However it isn't written for the purpose of conversion.

What I did as a missionary was for those who were baptized and confirmed a member of the Church, I got them a paperback "triple combination" with The Book of Mormon, Doctrine & Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price. I wanted them to have it, but when it was appropriate. After baptism was a perfect time.

As you can tell, it is mentioned plenty of times in Gospel Principles, so it isn't forgotten scripture. It just isn't as important during the investigation process to help investigators to feel the Spirit of the Lord, make and keep commitments and commandments towards baptism.

Line upon line, precept upon precept.

That's my point of view anyway. Hope it helped. :)

Edited by skippy740

The Mormon missionary effort is preoccupied, first and foremost, with helping people to get to know Christ and also to help them to understand the process by which Christ talks to people. That effort, ideally, culminates in baptism and receipt of the gift of the Holy Spirit.

The Book of Mormon happens to be the most useful book of scripture in attaining that end. Studies of the Doctrine and Covenants, the Pearl of Great Price, and more detailed analyses of the Book of Mormon and the Bible, will be much more productive once the student has learned to recognize revelation and apply it to his/her study of the scriptures. That doesn't mean that, in the interim, those other books should be ignored or hidden from a potential convert. It's just that, given the goals of missionary work, a deep study of those books isn't the most productive use of time.

I totally understand what you are saying. I'm for the most part undecided about converting. On moments I do want to convert, it IS because I feel close to the Lord and want to feel closer, however, I don't want to take conversion likely. For me, converting is saying "Yes, I believe all this" about the religion you are converting to. And personally, I want to know as much as I can about the faith before I become baptized because that's a big step, and from what I've done independently, it seems that the Pearl of Great Price is the source of a lot of LDS theology and personally feel as if that's important information before being baptized and committing myself to a faith.

I can greatly appreciate that. It isn't something to take on lightly.

Have you read 3 Nephi 11?

This is the chapter in The Book of Mormon where Christ visits the American continent.

The end of the chapter has these verses:

37 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and become as a little child, and be baptized in my name, or ye can in nowise receive these things.

38 And again I say unto you, ye must repent, and be baptized in my name, and become as a little child, or ye can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God.

39 Verily, verily, I say unto you, that this is my doctrine, and whoso buildeth upon this buildeth upon my rock, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against them.

40 And whoso shall declare more or less than this, and establish it for my doctrine, the same cometh of evil, and is not built upon my rock; but he buildeth upon a sandy foundation, and the gates of hell stand open to receive such when the floods come and the winds beat upon them.

41 Therefore, go forth unto this people, and declare the words which I have spoken, unto the ends of the earth.

Just a couple of things to point out:

1) Christ discusses becoming as a little child. Children are innocent and they are pure. They are trusting. There is a lot we can learn from children. Maybe we may need to think as a child?

2) It is curious that Christ says "the same cometh of evil" for teaching more or less than this - which is faith, repentance and baptism. What is the evil? For those who are teaching, it is that they are talking too much and not letting the Spirit do His work. It is that they are not inviting all to come unto Christ through baptism. That they are making the gospel more complicated than it needs to be.

It's possible that we may need to ask ourselves if we are making it more difficult for ourselves too?

Just something additional to ponder. :)

I think the Pearl of Great Price is very important but it is named appropriately. It is a pearl. It is not to be cast out into the general population but is to be studied by those having at least basic understanding and testimony of the gospel already.

There is an amazing amount of information there for believers. It is very much like a pearl in so many ways. Pearls are build on a 'pebble' or grain of sand. Layer by ultra thin layer expands from that center bit. Each layer is so fragile and tender. As it grows and becomes sizable it gains strength and value. Before you get to a fully mature sized pearl you have to start with the tiny 'pebble' and build up the layers. Skip the steps and you dont have a pearl. In this case you are not going to get even close to the full beauty and value of a mature pearl. In other words you have to do the basics to get the full benefit of the pearl.

Yes you can read it and ask questions about it. It is there and not hidden. Its lots better to find that grain of sand from the Book of Mormon, Bible, etc before hand.

Someone once told me that if you pick any one of the Synoptic Gospels and any one other book of the New Testament, study them, know them and live them fully, you'll be a better Christian than 99% of the people who claim that title. You can't really do that with the OT, nor the Pearl of Great Price, but there's plenty of the Book of Mormon that would work for a "two book summary" like that.

So what it boils down to is that the New Testament and much of the Book of Mormon are the "how to manuals" while the Old Testament and Pearl of Great Price (and the first part of the BoM) are more background information explaining why.

I see what you guys are saying. I think the issue is a difference of opinion. From what I've read here (correct me if I'm wrong) baptism and conversion is a personal thing in which we are atoned through Christ's sacrifice. While I agree with that 100%, but personally, I'm a very theological person, meaning that I love and am interested in theology and intellectual theological thought. Give me Thomas Aquinas, Agustine, and Joseph Ratzinger, anyday, I love the theological heavy weights.

From my readings, it seems that that is what the Pearl of Great Price is more of, theological.

So I'm realizing it's a personal thing.

I see what you guys are saying. I think the issue is a difference of opinion. From what I've read here (correct me if I'm wrong) baptism and conversion is a personal thing in which we are atoned through Christ's sacrifice. While I agree with that 100%, but personally, I'm a very theological person, meaning that I love and am interested in theology and intellectual theological thought. Give me Thomas Aquinas, Agustine, and Joseph Ratzinger, anyday, I love the theological heavy weights.

From my readings, it seems that that is what the Pearl of Great Price is more of, theological.

There is no predefined method. Go with what the Spirit prompts you. I would tell you to proceed prayerfully and ask questions. Ask these questions to yourself, then ask God. If you ask in faith, with real intent, you will receive an answer. I know by experience.

I am happy to know that you are investigating the Church. It is a wonderful organization. I have truly felt the love of God as I have tried to align my life more completely with the principles found in the Church. I have found my way to Jesus. I have felt my sins, my pains, my sorrows, wiped away so I am free of those burdens. I rely on the atonement and know that without God I am truly nothing. I am a sinful, weak man with an undying hope in a glorious future where I can sit with Adam, Enoch, Noah, and all the others who sit with the Savior at the right hand of the Father. My hope and faith causes me to strive every day to purge away darkness by trying to emulate the works of the Son, even Jesus Christ. This is why I love this Church. It is my honor and privilege to testify of this in the name of Jesus Christ.

Respectfully,

Finrock

Edited by Finrock
Spelling

Something I have noticed as I've been investigating the Church is that there is a heavy emphasis on the Book of Mormon and the missionaries always mention it. But they never mention The Pearl of Great Price? Why is that?

After reading parts of the Gospel Principles book, I noticed many references to the Book of Moses and the Book of Abraham. So it looks like The Pearl of Great Price has a lot of theological importance, so why isn't there any mention of it?

Thanks!

it gets lumped with the doctrine and covenants. most likely because its the Book of Mormon that makes or breaks the deal- either we are what we say we are or we're really off our rocker. It comes down to the Book of Mormon and Joseph smith 99% of the time and so that's generally what we push to the outside world.

• 2 weeks later...

it gets lumped with the doctrine and covenants. most likely because its the Book of Mormon that makes or breaks the deal- either we are what we say we are or we're really off our rocker. It comes down to the Book of Mormon and Joseph smith 99% of the time and so that's generally what we push to the outside world.

Doesn't the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price have a lot of LDS theology in it (such as exaltation, three degrees of heaven, rules, etc)? More so then the Book of Mormon?

Doesn't the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price have a lot of LDS theology in it (such as exaltation, three degrees of heaven, rules, etc)? More so then the Book of Mormon?

Actually, the Bible has the most to say about those doctrines. The Book of Mormon says very little about exaltation and nothing about the degrees of heaven.

it has more information on what happened before the world was and some new insights heaven more so than other books of scripture. Mostly its Abrahams dealings with God more than there is in the bible. It also has some more of what would have been part of what we have as genesis.

the book that has the most information on the three degrees of glory would first be the doctrine and covenants followed by the new testament.

AS for how much lds theology is in it, there is tons, but the same could be said for all the other books of scripture (Bible, book of Mormon, doctrine and covenants).

It really does amaze me that with four collections of scriptures all coming through different means and written at different times and places, how cohesive they are with each other. I don't know many doctrines where you only look at one book for your answer. Sunday School lessons bounce around a lot. Truly they act as witnesses of each other in truth.

Maybe a quick exercise would be to use the Topical Guide (online or in your Bible index) and see how different topics are covered in the various books.

I love the idea that conversion is a personal thing. My spiritual journey has been absolutely that and I wouldn't have had it any other way, even if much of it has been unexpected.

I love that you know yourself...and that you know what intrigues you. Perhaps God will work with that and speak to you in ways that mean the most to you. It would be interesting to see how God challenges a person like you. :)

I remember working with one man. He did end up joining the church but only after a great deal of study. For him, it was the Doctrine and Covenants that opened his heart. An appreciation for the Book of Mormon and Pearl of Great Price came later. While I generally believe that houses are best build with a foundation, and that the Book of Mormon is the foundation for much of the LDS faith, I can't prioritize the LDS canon. It's all there and it's all important.

On a personal note, I do agree that the Pearl is "theological". But I've also come to know more about the nature and personality of God in a personal and intimate way. My study of the book has been a rather tender experience as I've come to understand things in my heart as well as my mind. For these insights, its hard to find words.

Best wishes in your studies. I hope you find what it is you are looking for.