Testimony Meeting and Texting

Backroads

james, I appreciate the sentiment and understand where you're coming from. I still think we should avoid such hard and fast rules. The Church is already very much an extrovert's church, and fast and testimony meeting is a manifestation of that culture. I would guess that the vast majority of the people who actually get up to share testimonies are more on the extroverted side. A wise leader understands that the introverts often have strong testimonies that can uplift others; and the introvert often needs a little extra push to get up and speak.

Not texting but also annoying, 3 different peoples cell phone rang during Sacrament meeting yesterday, including that of the Priest while he was giving the sacrament prayer.

Come on people, turn the ringer off or leave the phone in the car or at home!

james, I appreciate the sentiment and understand where you're coming from. I still think we should avoid such hard and fast rules. The Church is already very much an extrovert's church, and fast and testimony meeting is a manifestation of that culture. I would guess that the vast majority of the people who actually get up to share testimonies are more on the extroverted side. A wise leader understands that the introverts often have strong testimonies that can uplift others; and the introvert often needs a little extra push to get up and speak.

Perhaps your right but even in that case it is a sad situation. What you are saying is that the introvert will ignore the promptings of the Spirit but will head a push from the Bishop. Why would such a person ingnore the Spirit but listen to the Bishop or one of his councilors?

Perhaps your right but even in that case it is a sad situation. What you are saying is that the introvert will ignore the promptings of the Spirit but will head a push from the Bishop. Why would such a person ingnore the Spirit but listen to the Bishop or one of his councilors?

I'm guessing you're not an introvert, and don't understand the discomfort and distress that introverts feel when they become the center of attention in a large group.

Very often, I would say that when an introvert feels the promptings of the Spirit, they typically feel satisfied and complete. They don't feel a need to share what they feel because 1) it's against their nature, and 2) for them, the revelatory process is complete. Many introverts wouldn't even have the thought cross their minds that they could get up in front of 100 people and share what they are feeling.

So I wouldn't say that introverts are ignoring the Spirit. I'd say that they need additional encouragement to go against their nature and perform an extroverted task.

If you're going to come back and say that it is a sad state of affairs that introverts behave this way, and they need to pluck up the courage to behave more like extroverts, I'll come right back and say that perhaps the extroverts in the Church need to stop demanding the everyone worship on the extroverts terms and recognize that often worship needs to happen on the individual's terms to bring true conversion.

Good Morning james12. I hope you are doing well! :)

As I recall it was advice from Brigham Young to leaders of youth. I have seen testimony meetings with youth where only one person bore a testimony and all the others sat for about 1/2 an hour. In cases like these, unfortunately a leader might need to march down the list and ask the youth to get up. However, I see a significant difference between one who stands because he is prompted of the Spirit and one who stands because a leader told him he needs to get up. One is directly following the Lord and the other is directly following a man or woman.

The way I see it is this: If a leader asks you to testify, testify. We sustain them as leaders. We profess with our mouths that we believe that they have been called of God to their position of leadership. Whether by God's mouth or the mouth of His servants, it is the same.

It doesn't much matter what we say if we have the Spirit with us. If the Spirit carries our words to the heart of man, then our words will have power. If a leader asks you to testify and you do, God will bless you for your obedience.

It really comes down to the individual. We should all be ready to testify at a moments notice with power. How do we do this? By searching the scriptures, praying ernestly, and practicing the principles of truth EVERY DAY! If we fill ourselves with truth, we will be filled with light and we will be in a position to be an example to others regardless of circumstance.

Regards,

Finrock

I'm guessing you're not an introvert, and don't understand the discomfort and distress that introverts feel when they become the center of attention in a large group.

Very often, I would say that when an introvert feels the promptings of the Spirit, they typically feel satisfied and complete. They don't feel a need to share what they feel because 1) it's against their nature, and 2) for them, the revelatory process is complete. Many introverts wouldn't even have the thought cross their minds that they could get up in front of 100 people and share what they are feeling.

So I wouldn't say that introverts are ignoring the Spirit. I'd say that they need additional encouragement to go against their nature and perform an extroverted task.

If you're going to come back and say that it is a sad state of affairs that introverts behave this way, and they need to pluck up the courage to behave more like extroverts, I'll come right back and say that perhaps the extroverts in the Church need to stop demanding the everyone worship on the extroverts terms and recognize that often worship needs to happen on the individual's terms to bring true conversion.

Amen.

Try having social anxiety disorder.

I agree with you that an introvert may not be prompted to get up and share. Nephi promised, “for the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way to accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” If a person is currently unable to bear testimony then the Spirit does not require it of them. Inspiration comes line upon line according to our capacity.

So, if the person is unable to go up, and the Spirit will not ask it of them, why then would a request from the bishopric help the situation? Why are we afraid of letting the Spirit direct in this simple case?

I agree with you that an introvert may not be prompted to get up and share. Nephi promised, “for the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way to accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.” If a person is currently unable to bear testimony then the Spirit does not require it of them. Inspiration comes line upon line according to our capacity.

So, if the person is unable to go up, and the Spirit will not ask it of them, why then would a request from the bishopric help the situation? Why are we afraid of letting the Spirit direct in this simple case?

James, I understand where you are coming from. However, in a perfect world, everyone would listen to the promtings of the spirit and act right away, but we are not in a perfect world. We are humans who ignore promtings from time to time. There have been times when I felt promted to get up and share my testimony but have stayed seated. This is the human condition. There's nothing wrong with it, it is what it is. Should we listen and act everytime? Of course. Do we? No. Would a public request be more effective than a spiritual one? Most certainly. This is the way it is.

So I learned an interesting tidbit yesterday. One of our bishopric counselors is a modern, technology-savvy lawyer with a cellphone. Apparently if there is too much of a lull, or the testimonies starting getting weird, he texts a few chosen ward members to "get up there and get us back on track."

I couldn't help but think if this is a common technique.

Being the traditionalist I am, he should get up to the pulpit and invite them from there if he's so inspired. otherwise I believe its quite ok to have long periods of silence to reflect and think. IMO.