Are there 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom?

ChronoTrigger

I heard it mentioned only once in the scriptures that there are 3 levels of celestial glory, but could celestial glory just mean the Telestial, Terrestrial, and Celestial Kingdoms? Because if there are 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom itself, who goes to what degree? Here would be my guess:

Highest degree- Sealed through marriage in temple.

Middle degree- Endowed in temple, but not married.

Lower degree- Baptized, but not endowed or married.

I heard it mentioned only once in the scriptures that there are 3 levels of celestial glory, but could celestial glory just mean the Telestial, Terrestrial, and Celestial Kingdoms? Because if there are 3 degrees within the Celestial Kingdom itself, who goes to what degree? Here would be my guess:

alright lower degree here I come:lol:

to be serious for a second, from what I understand, why would they split it up even further? If you are deserving enough to be there, you get in...right?

Edited by Lakumi

Well only sealed through marriage people get to be like Heavenly Father and get celestial crowns, so there has to be some separation. What makes you think they wouldn't split it up even further?

I imagine stuff happens, there, that would eliminate the need for that

we look at things with our own eyes and understanding of structure. I would think God and all those in the Celestial Kingdom do it a lot better.

Awesome game btw,

In D&C 131:1-4 it reads:

In the celestial glory there are three heavens or degrees; And in order to obtain the highest, a man must enter into this order of the priesthood [meaning the new and everlasting covenant of marriage]; And if he does not, he cannot obtain it. He may enter into the other, but that is the end of his kingdom; he cannot have an increase.

Are you saying you have to be married in the temple to reach the highest degree, or is sealing after a civil marriage included? If it is marriage in the temple then those saints in the UK aren't going to make it to the higher degree as we cannot get married in the temple.

That's true. I just wish I had a better understanding of which kingdom I am going to.

Not to be too simplistic, the kingdom you go to will be the kingdom you chose to live worthy of in this life.

The kingdom we receive is not about chance but about conscience decisions we make daily that either increase our intelligence -- light and truth (freedom) -- or decrease our intelligence.

Not to be too simplistic, the kingdom you go to will be the kingdom you chose to live worthy of in this life.

The kingdom we receive is not about chance but about conscience decisions we make daily that either increase our intelligence -- light and truth (freedom) -- or decrease our intelligence.

Then I hope it's Celestial Kingdom for me.

Are you saying you have to be married in the temple to reach the highest degree, or is sealing after a civil marriage included? If it is marriage in the temple then those saints in the UK aren't going to make it to the higher degree as we cannot get married in the temple.

You must be sealed. If you had to physically be married in the temple, we would have no need for temple work with proxies etc. It would be a moot point.

The idea that there are three degrees within the celestial kingdom comes from D&C 131:1-4. I read a blog post here about this subject. I think the ideas in it deserve serious consideration. Here is a brief summary in my own words.

It is possible that typical LDS understanding of this scripture is incorrect. It may be that Joseph's meaning was that in order to obtain the highest degree in heaven a man must enter into the highest order of the priesthood (celestial marriage). Not that there are three sub degrees within the celestial kingdom. In other words, to enter the celestial kingdom at all a man must sealed in celestial marriage.

Here is some of the reasoning as to why this may be the case:

Nowhere in scripture are these three subdivisions within the celestial kingdom completely defined. All we know is that in order to obtain the highest degree a man must enter into the highest order of the priesthood (celestial marriage or patriarchal priesthood). What about the first degree, what about the second?

It is very coincidental that there are three degrees defined within the celestial kingdom and also three general degrees of glory.

This comment from Joseph is only recorded by William Clayton. No other record of the discussion exists. Was it recorded accurately? Many of those who recorded sermons of Joseph vary their wording slightly. Can we trust every word of this record?

The meaning of the term "celestial" might be misunderstood by us today. Joseph may have meant the term in it's generic form as in heavenly, not the very specific LDS context.

The idea that there are three degrees within the celestial kingdom comes from D&C 131:1-4. I read a blog post here about this subject. I think the ideas in it deserve serious consideration. Here is a brief summary in my own words.

It is possible that typical LDS understanding of this scripture is incorrect. It may be that Joseph's meaning was that in order to obtain the highest degree in heaven a man must enter into the highest order of the priesthood (celestial marriage). Not that there are three sub degrees within the celestial kingdom. In other words, to enter the celestial kingdom at all a man must sealed in celestial marriage.

Nowhere in scripture are these three subdivisions within the celestial kingdom completely defined. All we know is that in order to obtain the highest degree a man must enter into the highest order of the priesthood (celestial marriage or patriarchal priesthood). What about the first degree, what about the second?

It is very coincidental that there are three degrees defined within the celestial kingdom and also three general degrees of glory.

This comment from Joseph is only recorded by William Clayton. No other record of the discussion exists. Was it recorded accurately? Many of those who recorded sermons of Joseph vary their wording slightly. Can we trust every word of this record?

The meaning of the term "celestial" might be misunderstood by us today. Joseph may have meant the term in it's generic form as in heavenly, not the very specific LDS context.

That's why I'm so interested on the subject.

ChronoTrigger: D&C 131 really explains that there are three sub-degrees within Celestial Kingdom. It does not mean they are split realms (like paradise and prison). All "citizens" of Heavenly Kingdom will be living within the same plane as Heavenly Father, Christ and other heavelny beings. But there will just be a major difference in destiny of eternally married couples (who righteously kept all covenants and promises made in connection with this bond) and those who did not join with any spouse. It is revealed and explained in D&C 132 that only righteous couples may reach to the highest blessing of Exaltation. The reason is simple; God the Father could not be called a father if He would not be joined with a Mother to have us as spirit children (see also Family Proclamation, that we are children of heavenly parents) - that is his greatest joy and happiness. And He wants for his children to obtain all He has, that also includes being able eventually join in creating spiritual children and create worlds without end for them so that also they may reach this kind of highest joy. That is why marriage and family is so important and why Satan tries to destroy this sacret institution.

That is what is meant by "increase" in D&C 131:4. It means eternal increase of posterity, which is only possible if a man and a woman are sealed by God's priesthood power and then ressurected to celestial bodies - that is a stipulation of being able to have spiritual children forever. Logically this is not possible for an individual alone.

ChronoTrigger: D&C 131 really explains that there are three sub-degrees within Celestial Kingdom. It does not mean they are split realms (like paradise and prison). All "citizens" of Heavenly Kingdom will be living within the same plane as Heavenly Father, Christ and other heavelny beings. But there will just be a major difference in destiny of eternally married couples (who righteously kept all covenants and promises made in connection with this bond) and those who did not join with any spouse. It is revealed and explained in D&C 132 that only righteous couples may reach to the highest blessing of Exaltation. The reason is simple; God the Father could not be called a father if He would not be joined with a Mother to have us as spirit children (see also Family Proclamation, that we are children of heavenly parents) - that is his greatest joy and happiness. And He wants for his children to obtain all He has, that also includes being able eventually join in creating spiritual children and create worlds without end for them so that also they may reach this kind of highest joy. That is why marriage and family is so important and why Satan tries to destroy this sacret institution.

That is what is meant by "increase" in D&C 131:4. It means eternal increase of posterity, which is only possible if a man and a woman are sealed by God's priesthood power and then ressurected to celestial bodies - that is a stipulation of being able to have spiritual children forever. Logically this is not possible for an individual alone.

I don't think Satan made me an angry loner...I think its more me then anything:lol:

What if I'm a good person, but was never able to get married? Will I not get the same blessings just because I couldn't find a wife, or will I get a wife in heaven?

I consider this relevant:

Some who are listening to this message are probably saying, “But what about me?” We know that many worthy and wonderful Latter-day Saints currently lack the ideal opportunities and essential requirements for their progress. Singleness, childlessness, death, and divorce frustrate ideals and postpone the fulfillment of promised blessings. In addition, some women who desire to be full-time mothers and homemakers have been literally compelled to enter the full-time work force. But these frustrations are only temporary. The Lord has promised that in the eternities no blessing will be denied his sons and daughters who keep the commandments, are true to their covenants, and desire what is right.

Link: https://www.lds.org/general-conference/1993/10/the-great-plan-of-happiness?lang=eng

What if I'm a good person, but was never able to get married? Will I not get the same blessings just because I couldn't find a wife, or will I get a wife in heaven?

are you choosing not to get married or is that just a what if, I imagine if there is a difference you won't get punished for that (say, someone has a fiancée and get killed by a falling piano 14 days before their wedding, vs someone like me who refuses to ever get married)

That's true. I just wish I had a better understanding of which kingdom I am going to.

Read this:

"For now we see through a glass, darkly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; but then shall I know, even as also I am known." -- I Corinthians 13:12

"For I know nothing by myself, yet am I not hereby justified; but He that judgeth me is the Lord. Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord come, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness, and will make manifest the counsels of the hearts; and then shall every man have praise of God." -- I Corinthians 4:4-5

I have tentatively held to this supposition for years, without realizing anyone else ever thought it, too. In fact, your post and reference to this blog entry is the first I've ever heard of anyone outside of Vort wondering about this issue. Kind of nice to know I'm not the only one wondering if the simpler interpretation is the correct one.