Ender's Game Review

Should I read the book first?

I haven't read the book since high school (and still consider it a fave). Perhaps I should brush up...

For this one, I'd say watch the movie, then read the book.

The movie is like one storyline out of the many in the book. Basically, they concentrated only on Ender and nobody else, so the universe is very small and the challenges very targeted. This actually was a great move by the screenwriters/director because it really brought us into Ender's mind completely uninterrupted. And condensing the timeline into less than a year contributed to our connection with Ender as we feel a kind of urgency in Ender's rise to leadership. The book is a lot bigger, the challenges mor complex. So reading it after watching the movie is like getting the backstage pass to a concert.

Edited by anatess

A few of us sneaked out of the SA dance to go see it. Well worth missing two hours of dubstep and line dances.

(And creepy introductions; maybe as a convert I'm just not used to it, but is it really normal for someone to ask if you have a TR, and if not, when you expect to in the first 15 seconds of conversation at a singles event? At least getting names out of the way first might have mitigated the creepiness a bit.)

Edited by NightSG

I also saw Enders Game this weekend and thought it was really good and worth seeing. I don't see how they could cram everything from the book in there and also succeed in translating a book that takes place mainly in the characters mind, into a movie. But it was well done. Congrats Brother Card!

I'm glad it was successfully transferred to screenplay, when I read the book recently I wondered how they could pull it off. Condensing the timeline makes sense, the alternative is to basically turn most of the movie into a series of montages that probably would have:

1) Confused people who haven't read the book.

2) Been disjointed, both due to the multiple transitions but also the need for multiple actors to play the younger characters as they aged.

Nixing subplots is also a standard medium transfer technique, and one often needed. And I mean completely nixing them, sometimes a screenplay will nix subplots but only partially so they can perform fan service but it means the non-fans get little glimpses of what looks like subplots that they don't have the ability to follow.

For the record I'm planning on seeing it this weekend, so while it sounds like they handled it well, I'll have to see if they did handle it well.

So my husband loved it so much (he hasn't read the book!) he is counting the days to the sequel. I told him... you're not going to get a sequel. He's like WHAT???

Card does not want Speaker for the Dead made into a movie. Besides, Speaker for the Dead, though follows the Ender book series, is a completely different tangent from the movie. It's a completely different phase in Ender's life that wouldn't make sense put in the context of that year in the movie. Besides, Card already said, Speaker will not translate good into a movie because it is all talking talking talking interrupted only by lots of intense gore (got this from wikipedia). I'm thinking about it and I never really imagined Ender's Game could translate well into a movie either... so I'm sure somebody is going to surprise us with an excellent adaptation of Speaker... well, maybe Speaker and Xenocide combined into one movie concentrating on Ender saving the piggies and the queen bugger.

Oh! Yeah, it was super cool too that Ender's Game didn't use the word bugger - not even once! I'm sure whoever is going to attempt a sequel will not use piggies either!

I don't know... I could see Jane being a good movie character. But, I don't know how they could explain inter-stellar space travel making Ender 3,000+ years old... among other things.

Edited by anatess

But, I don't know how they could explain inter-stellar space travel making Ender 3,000+ years old...

Did they dodge that in the movie? Relativistic speeds being used to 'slow down' aging pops up in Ender's Game. If they feel they can't find an appropriate moment to give a explanation that if you travel really fast it looks like you are aging really slowly to someone on Earth (time dilation) you could always do a cop out with stasis pods. Though I'm not familiar with the story of Speaker, if a lot of it takes place during said travel then stasis pods might be more trouble than avoiding an explanation is worth.

Edited by Dravin

I recall hearing that most of the Ender sequels just weren't worth reading.... so I never read them.

Completely false. In fact, Card has said numerous times that he wrote Ender's Game just so that he could write the sequel, Speaker for the Dead, the book he originally wanted to write. I personally do think the first book is the strongest, but all of them are worth reading.

I recall hearing that most of the Ender sequels just weren't worth reading.... so I never read them.

WHAT? Speaker for the Dead, in my opinion, is better than Ender's Game. Well, I treat Speaker and Xenocide as one book... so both together is better than Ender's Game.

Actually, from what I understand, Card drafted Speaker first and realized he can't introduce the queen without having a short story inside the book about how Ender ended up as a Speaker. So he wrote Ender's Game intending it to be a short story of the buggers and then, of course, Card ended up writing the whole politics and moral dilemma of Speaker into Ender.

So Speaker is the fulcrum of the series. And it is really good!

Well, see this is the trap when watching the movie before reading the book... because the movie is so targetted, you don't see anything outside the war. So you end up thinking the book is completely about the war when it is much much much bigger than that and Speaker and Xenocide deals with everything outside the war (the politics, social, environmental impacts of that whole universe).

Edited by anatess

So my husband loved it so much (he hasn't read the book!) he is counting the days to the sequel. I told him... you're not going to get a sequel. He's like WHAT???

Card does not want Speaker for the Dead made into a movie. Besides, Speaker for the Dead, though follows the Ender book series, is a completely different tangent from the movie. It's a completely different phase in Ender's life that wouldn't make sense put in the context of that year in the movie. Besides, Card already said, Speaker will not translate good into a movie because it is all talking talking talking interrupted only by lots of intense gore (got this from wikipedia). I'm thinking about it and I never really imagined Ender's Game could translate well into a movie either... so I'm sure somebody is going to surprise us with an excellent adaptation of Speaker... well, maybe Speaker and Xenocide combined into one movie concentrating on Ender saving the piggies and the queen bugger.

Oh! Yeah, it was super cool too that Ender's Game didn't use the word bugger - not even once! I'm sure whoever is going to attempt a sequel will not use piggies either!

I don't know... I could see Jane being a good movie character. But, I don't know how they could explain inter-stellar space travel making Ender 3,000+ years old... among other things.

3 days ago WIRED magazine interview with brother Card.

… but after the movie happens—it’s been 28 years in the making—is Ender’s Game finally over for you?

No, I still have a sequel that I’m working on. In terms of film, Ender’s Game is actually the beginning, not the end. No one will touch anything else of mine until they see how Ender’s Game does. Unless the film absolutely tanks, which I’m not expecting, then the floodgates could open. I have probably a dozen books that are much, much more doable on film than Ender’s Game.

Did they dodge that in the movie? Relativistic speeds being used to 'slow down' aging pops up in Ender's Game. If they feel they can't find an appropriate moment to give a explanation that if you travel really fast it looks like you are aging really slowly to someone on Earth (time dilation) you could always do a cop out with stasis pods. Though I'm not familiar with the story of Speaker, if a lot of it takes place during said travel then stasis pods might be more trouble than avoiding an explanation is worth.

The movie was a span of a year with the start of the war a few decades earlier with stasis pods shown seemingly without much real time lost. There was no need to introduce time dilation (although I'm waiting to watch it again because I think there are some info they put on the digital displays of the travel pod). In any case, the universe is really compressed so that it seems like going from earth to formics space feels the exact same as Anakin Skywalker traveling from Tattooine to Coruscant.

3 days ago WIRED magazine interview with brother Card.

Cool! I guess they can always just skip over Speaker for the Dead, Xenocide, and Children of the Mind (although I don't know how that's going to go over the fans). Those 3 books follow the political, social, philosophical story of Ender's life... has nothing to do with his being a war commander. Which, I don't know how it would tie into the movie because Ender's Game movie is an action-filled war movie whereas those books are philosophical books. But then, I guess they can create an action-movie out of the political network trying to wipe out the piggy planet with Ender trying to save it.

Then I'm thinking... Ender's Shadow is the exact same timeframe of Ender's Game except it is written with Bean as the main character (by the way, Bean is different in the movie! It kinda threw me off for a bit). So, I don't know how they're going to work that into a movie sequel. And War of Gifts is Battle School which already flew by in the movie timeline. So, I don't know how those are going to work into a movie sequel either.

Maybe they'll go jump to the Shadow series. That might work out. But then, we just got Ender and just fell in love with him... I don't think we're ready yet to let go of him to move onto someone else.

I don't know... it was such a surprise how good Ender's Game movie is just because of the way it just carved out Ender the war commander out of the entire book... really brilliant move. But it really limits what we see of Ender and the universe so it gives a challenge to sequels. But then, I'm fairly certain someone else, if not Hood again, will come by and surprise us one more time.

Edited by anatess

Well, I may find out what this is all about...I've got a winning bid so far, over at ebay, on the 7-book series. :-)

Don't you ever travel through Dallas? The Half Price Books flagship store on Northwest is the ultimate crackhouse for sci-fi addicts.

Pretty good selection of everything else, too.

A few of us sneaked out of the SA dance to go see it. Well worth missing two hours of dubstep and line dances.

(And creepy introductions; maybe as a convert I'm just not used to it, but is it really normal for someone to ask if you have a TR, and if not, when you expect to in the first 15 seconds of conversation at a singles event? At least getting names out of the way first might have mitigated the creepiness a bit.)

Maybe I'm just getting old (I do remember when primary was during the week), but what does TR mean?

EDIT: Temple Recommend?