Radio Contests/Contests in General

fsharp

I know gambling is seen as a no-no because you are getting something for nothing. However, what about a radio contest call in? Is a 50-50 raffle (like they have a school fundraisers) ok? If you guess the number of jelly beans in a jar and win a giftcard ok?

A lot of it has to do with intent.... are you calling the radio station because of your desire for the money? Or are you calling the radio station because it is fun to call the radio station? Would you gain the same enjoyment from it if you give the money you got from the radio station to the DJ?

Know what I mean?

I see absolutely nothing wrong with calling a radio station with the hopes of winning money. What gamble are you making? The only gamble might be if they require you to be caller #10.

I also see nothing wrong with raffles (for legitimate fund raisers) or guessing the number of jelly beans to win a gift card.

I know gambling is seen as a no-no because you are getting something for nothing. However, what about a radio contest call in? Is a 50-50 raffle (like they have a school fundraisers) ok? If you guess the number of jelly beans in a jar and win a giftcard ok?

The problem with gambling isn't just that you're getting something for nothing. If such was the case then gifts would be an issue. The problem is the development of an attitude that is the antithesis of a work ethic. Essentially the concern is the development of a mindset of, "I can do little to nothing and receive my support and desire, no effort need be expended." There is also the issue of addiction and the aforementioned financial problems that arise from it.

That's my take on it anyway.

Edited by Dravin

A lot of it has to do with intent.... are you calling the radio station because of your desire for the money? Or are you calling the radio station because it is fun to call the radio station? Would you gain the same enjoyment from it if you give the money you got from the radio station to the DJ?

Know what I mean?

If it's about intent, then any gambling is potentially okay. I know a lot of people (non-members) who occasionally play the slots or whatever, just for fun. They set a budget, play until that budgeted money is gone, and then quit.

But I've never read where the church teaches that that is okay because their "intent" is just to have fun.

If it's about intent, then any gambling is potentially okay. I know a lot of people (non-members) who occasionally play the slots or whatever, just for fun. They set a budget, play until that budgeted money is gone, and then quit.

But I've never read where the church teaches that that is okay because their "intent" is just to have fun.

My mother sets aside a set amount of money to play mahjong or the slot machines at the karaoke bar. She wins chips that she can then use to play more maj-jong/slot machines with. There is nothing wrong with this.

And yes, I play mahjong or poker with my kids when we get tired of monopoly for family home evening using monopoly money.

The main reason that gambling and lotteries are bad is that the only way you can win is if someone else lose, and even raffles, where you pay to play, are not okay according to the Church. The difference between lotteries and companies using promotions like peel of the wrapper to see if you win money (or similar types of promotions), is that when I pay for the product, or service I want, and not win a prize, I still have the product, or service, that I paid for. I have a hard time believing that any rational person would be willing to pay money for a scrap of paper, without a chance of winning money. Now this is what gets confusing, can you honestly say you would pay for some product, or service, if that promotion wasn’t going on? Would you buy far more product than you need, just for more chance to win? Is this your loophole to bypass the no gambling rule of the Church? If so than it is wrong.

Can someone tell me if gambling is considered a sin by the Church, or just a behavior that one should avoid?

What about church/school raffles? If you work with people who are selling raffle tickets for one of these organizations, would it be wrong to purchase a ticket? I guess this gets to intent - I'd buy one with the intent of donating to the school, not with the hope of wining anything. But if intent doesn't matter, then would it be wrong to support friends/family who sell raffle tickets since it is still gambling, in a way?

Can someone tell me if gambling is considered a sin by the Church, or just a behavior that one should avoid?

Yes, gambling is against Christ's principles.

What about church/school raffles? If you work with people who are selling raffle tickets for one of these organizations, would it be wrong to purchase a ticket? I guess this gets to intent - I'd buy one with the intent of donating to the school, not with the hope of wining anything. But if intent doesn't matter, then would it be wrong to support friends/family who sell raffle tickets since it is still gambling, in a way?

Good question to which I don't know the answer. But, what I do know is our ward sometimes hold raffles for donated gift baskets in ward activities - usually during YM/YW camp fund-raisers - and that the Catholic Church I grew up in is big on bingo fund-raisers.

My Catholic background is having problems here. Opposed to something is not the same as calling it a sin for which one must repent. So, the question remains, is it a sin for LDS or not? In the alternative, if the Church leaders say the Church is opposed to something, does that make it a sin?

This came about because I was listening to the radio and they were advertising Caller Number 101 wins two free tickets to Disneyland! I called, didn't win. Then I thought to myself - Is that ok? I mean, I'm not addicted to radio contests by any means. I'm not really gambling, but I was told the reason we don't gamble is because we are getting something for nothing, which is what this radio contest is.

This came about because I was listening to the radio and they were advertising Caller Number 101 wins two free tickets to Disneyland! I called, didn't win. Then I thought to myself - Is that ok? I mean, I'm not addicted to radio contests by any means. I'm not really gambling, but I was told the reason we don't gamble is because we are getting something for nothing, which is what this radio contest is.

Is that were the logic behind it..simply something for nothing...there would be many things then that we couldn't participate in. I've worked in places where they gave out prizes at company Christmas parties. We didn't pay anything but we were handed a ticket. If our number was called, we won one of the prizes.

I still say there is nothing wrong with calling into a radio station with the chance to win something.

I guess there have been some things put out by church leaders regarding raffles.

LDS Church News - How to help young people refrain from gambling

http://www.askgramps.org/3469/is-it-wrong-for-a-mormon-to-buy-a-raffle-ticket

https://www.lds.org/ensign/1986/03/dont-bet-on-it-a-latter-day-saint-look-at-gambling?lang=eng

Of course raffles don't fall into the "something for nothing" as you are having to put out money to get something.

Raffles, or calling into a radio station, could possibly lead to an addiction, so I think ya gotta be careful with that. One of the things about addiction is that it can be hard to see or admit when you're starting to develop an addiction.

I think another thing wrong with those, is that you're hoping to get a prize without really doing anything worthwhile to society to earn it.

I think in general that it's ok to graciously receive gifts offered to us, but to not go seek after too many freebies.

From 'How to help young people refrain from gambling,' "Remove face cards and games of chance from our homes - out of our cupboards and from computers and into the garbage."

Wait - so no playing solitaire on the computer while on hold with customer service?

My stepfather was against card playing as he felt we should be reading or doing something useful. But c'mon people. Are we so weak we can't play a game of solitaire without falling into addiction?

From 'How to help young people refrain from gambling,' "Remove face cards and games of chance from our homes - out of our cupboards and from computers and into the garbage."

Wait - so no playing solitaire on the computer while on hold with customer service?

You'd have to ask the author, I find a lot of members seem to forget that face cards are used for solitaire when talking about face cards in the context of gambling.

Are we so weak we can't play a game of solitaire without falling into addiction?

I rather doubt the line of thought is, "They might play a game of solitaire and fall into addiction." It is more likely centered in the idea that if face cards are handy one might decide to play a little poker, and if one is playing for fun to start with you might move on to playing for money. One can of course ponder the likelihood of that particular scenario but I suspect it's probably the reasoning being employed rather than there being some particular issue with solitaire itself leading to gambling.

That said, you'll find a lot of odd ideas out there concerning face cards. My mother used to insist there was something unsavory over the filigree patterns on the back of face cards such as you see on a pack of cheap cards from Walmart (or the classic deck in Windows 7 Solitaire). I can dig up a picture if you don't know what I'm talking about (as I don't know the proper term for such designs, thus filigree).

Edited by Dravin

I once won a radio contest. It wasn't really a gamble--it was one of those trivia questions. I was getting ready for class, knew the answer (because of a Gerald N. Lund novel, of all things), immediately called in and won concert tickets, all within two minutes.

I don't consider it gambling because it was something that required useless fact information. But the Caller X stuff... no thanks. It's a waste of time.

My Catholic background is having problems here. Opposed to something is not the same as calling it a sin for which one must repent.

Yes, it is. With one caveat. Repentance is predicated on understanding. You can't repent for something you don't know is sinful. So, first of all, you have to listen to the moral principles of the Church, pray for personal revelation, then repent of the sin.

So, the question remains, is it a sin for LDS or not? In the alternative, if the Church leaders say the Church is opposed to something, does that make it a sin?

I believe it was President Hinckley that told a story about one of the US Presidents. He came home from Church one day and his wife asked him what the priest talked about in church. The President answered, "Sin.". His wife asked, "What did he say about it?", and he answered, "He's against it.".

Basically, the Church being in opposition of something is an indicator that if you pursue that avenue you might be in the path of sin. Sin, as defined by LDS, is a willful disobedience of God's commandments - which means one must first have knowledge of right and wrong, then go against that which is righteous.

I read one of the links given before and this really stood out to me

“It is opposed to any game of chance, occupation, or so-called business, which takes money from the person who may be possessed of it without giving value received in return."

In my understanding, this means a deck of cards to play solitaire is fine. There is no exchange of money. With this new knowledge and understanding, I do not believe I should do 50-50 raffles in addition to lotteries, or go to the casio. However, games with dice or cards that do not involve money and the intention is for wholesome recreation, it is ok. This is by no means official and subject to change, but I feel as this was the answer I was looking for.

Radio contests might lead to addiction and no-no to Solitaire..really folks? :huh: What do some of you do for fun? Hoop rolling? :blink:

Honestly, giving up Solitaire was one of the best decisions for time management that I have ever made in my life.

For ME (cap'd me=personal viewpoint=random reminder brought to you by those with too much time on their hands tonight)...

Gambling is predicated on loss.

Whether that's lost time, wages, life, family, values, morals, etc.

Meaning I'll cheerfully donate $ to my kids school, or the firefighter's gala, or whatever... And if my ticket comes with a thankyou gift, sweet. If not? It's money I'd cheerfully donate even if they didn't have a raffle.

Meaning I'll gladly wager push-ups or schlepping to get the laundry, or cooking Mexican on Tuesdays for a month or whatever else that i would do anyway.

What I won't do... Accept a bet or dare for anything I would NOT do. Like jump off a bridge, or not spend the week with my kids, or give someone cash (unless it was someone I could only give cash to in that fashion: I've fed some hungry friends that way!)

To ME, the radio call is a no-brainer* ... As I lose nothing by calling, nor stand to lose anything. They have something to give away to their listeners. I'm listening. Therefore I qualify.

* That happy little asterisk? If I STAND to lose something, it ceases to be a no brained, as it becomes truly gambling / risking the loss of one thing for the gain of another. If I'm calling while driving (risking my life & others), it would make me late for work, or picking up the kids, or in any other way cause me to lose face, time, or money... Then nada.

But if a place I frequent wants to do a customer appreciation thing? Whether it's free lunch or a trip to Disneyland, or a concert gratis? Sho'nuff. No worries.

Customer appreciation isn't gambling... Unless they ask you to put something up that you can lose in order to win it.

It is, however, why I also do NOT invest in the stock market.

At all.

Ever.

Only invest what you can afford to lose.

The only higher staked game out there is Russian roulette.

Q