Pepsi, Coke, Rootbeer... Yes or No?

AngelMarvel

One of the first questions I asked the missionaries, was, "Can I drink Diet Pepsi?" Thankfully, the answer was 'yes,' otherwise, I might be a Druid today.

Kidding aside, I know that some people are more strict than others (tho perhaps the strictness is misplaced since none of this is in the WOW). I have had elders ask for Dr Pepper and Mt Dew, which some members won't drink. When I take sodas to people's houses, I take orange or fruit punch and check the caffeine content so there isn't an issue about cola or caffeine.

It's kinda like a Reform Rabbi I used to know. He kept a kosher kitchen, even tho, as a Reform Jew, he wasn't obliged to. His rationale was that any Jew should feel comfortable in his home. So, for me, I get people what they want and what they feel comfortable with, even though I may keep vats of Diet Pepsi in my basement.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Artificial sweeteners are only safe for consumption at low doses and are synthesized from other chemicals, which means, they carry far more risk than simple sugars. The obvious argument will be made that dosage level of simple sugars is also inherently risky, but they carry less side effects documented and undocumented. Too much sugar is bad , obviously, but at least it can filter it...more or less, whereas synthesized chemicals are suspicious by nature, given their engineered background.

Ironically, Monsanto is a huge producer of Aspartame and if anyone with any fear left in them, should be examining that chemical company with a microscope. Believe me, you'd be afraid.

The food and chemical industry have an obvious vested interest in maintaining that these ingredients are safe. What makes me cringe, is that people are confused that "diet" pop, is a weight loss item, which given the name and due to initial marketing, seems to be adopted as truth. If I was to choose, I would continue to drink less synthesized versions.

This study, by the FDA, points that seizures are possible with many other adverse affects.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

Another issue, is Sodium Nitrite, which is added to most meat and meat products, as it slows down decay by being a preservative. However, it is a known carcinogen, but as always, its considered "safe for human consumption". Add that to regular aspartame usage and other "fit for human consumption", chemicals and the cocktail just needs to be shaken and not stirred for wonderful results.

As always, dosage and life style make a huge difference. I am not attempting to fear monger, but simply encouraging more awareness of what you are consuming. Honestly, its best to avoid pop altogether, which most of us agree. Guilty pleasures, eh?

I appreciate this legitimate response, though it proposes a more concrete conclusion than merited. The 'study', in particular was an agenda driven joke and hard to take very seriously.

I also think your statement, "whereas synthesized chemicals are suspicious by nature, given their engineered background." is just silly. What does engineered have to do with it? Why is does that inherently prescribe suspicion?

As to the "diet" pop not being a weight loss item...um... What are you saying here? Weight loss is about calorie reduction. Diet pop is low calorie. Regular pop is high calorie. How should that not be taken as useful to weight loss?

I have no real interest in defending Aspartame, so I do appreciate this sort of reply rather than the, "my neighbor said so" sort. But, really, what this report read as was, "a whole bunch of neighbors called and complained to the FDA, so it must be true", rather than giving any solid evidence.

I'm not really buying the whole, "I went off Aspartame and it cured all my diseases" thing.

To be fair, I'm also not emphatically demanding that Aspartame has no health risks.

when I joined the church last June, I had to give up coffee, which I used regularly to be awake and alert! I was able to switch to coke, in fact for a few months, I drank my coke in a coffee cup to help condition myself away from coffee..have not even been tempted since...

Well, if you do a google search for "aspartame side effects", you will find plenty of information on why it's bad for you.

There is not enough proof (on the negative) side to surely state that it is bad for you. And when you find something, are the facts enough to apply to you? Even when the feds say so, I would be leery of it.

I give you an example (link below). The feds say that something in the caramel colouring in soda will cause cancer and were going to require Pepsi and Coke to put a warning on their can. Here is the catch, it would take a "person would need to drink more than 1,000 cans of Coke or Pepsi a day to take in the same dose of the chemical that was given to the animals in the lab test." Now we are faced with the question of if the scientific study can even apply to anyone. Someone would take this and slam in your face "Your going to get cancer". But really?

BBC News - Coke and Pepsi change manufacturing process to avoid cancer warning

I am not pro Regular soda, too many calories and too much sugar for me. I am not pro aspartame necessarily, but since it has been around for decades without an epidemic of health issues, I am okay with it....for now.

if I don't have pepsi I feel i will die

that's not a good thing regardless of what church one is in

Maybe not, but I'd rather have a diet Pepsi jones than to need heroin or a cigarette. I don't have to steal, I don't smell of smoke, and I won't lose or get cut off from my family by indulging in the greatest product man has put on this earth. :D

Maybe not, but I'd rather have a diet Pepsi jones than to need heroin or a cigarette. I don't have to steal, I don't smell of smoke, and I won't lose or get cut off from my family by indulging in the greatest product man has put on this earth. :D

ROFL... Hilariously my coke consumption came up in my divorce.

I can only imagine that his attorney / the original judge thought he meant cocaine.

But I was honestly grilled about my soda consumption.

This was toward the end of mediation, and the judge had already had enough hours earlier.

He actually asked my ex if he was insane.

And yet, I had had to prepare an actual statement with reciepts proving purchase, and corroborating witnesses about my soda consumption.

Really.

(I'm pretty sure the judge who ordered it thought cocaine.)

I'm such a terrible mother.

I drink carbonated beverages!

The. Horror.

Q

I can only imagine that his attorney / the original judge thought he meant cocaine.

This was toward the end of mediation, and the judge had already had enough hours earlier.

And yet, I had had to prepare an actual statement with reciepts proving purchase, and corroborating witnesses about my soda consumption.

Really.

The. Horror.

Q

To clarify my "laugh". I laughed at the pure comedy of the situation, but not at the situation of its entirety (the divorce).

Really.

The. Horror.

Q

I can relate. I had never been accused of anything so much as jaywalking until I got divorced. Then I was accused of horrible things, and yet I never once retaliated. Sad that the people who once claimed to love you more than life itself will do everything in their power to destroy you in a divorce, including using your child as a weapon against you.

Edited by Crash
spelling

My Wife did a study as she had to give a lesson to some children. It was the harmful effects of drugs. She had pictures of what would happen if these drugs were given to a spider and what kind of web would it weave. The worst web that was woven was the one that had caffeine. From marijuana to other drugs this was the worst. I am not sure how you could compare this to humans but it's something to think about.