The World Cup

Talking about Brazil... I understand without Silva and Neymar they lost their top defense and top offense... but, that mess of a game went beyond losing both players... I have to dump the lot on the Coach's head!  How can you have a World Cup team that doesn't have a plan for contingency play?  Especially Brazil!  The entire country takes great pride and joy over their soccer talent!  I was looking at Ronaldo on the screen infront of some microphones and I'm yelling... take Fred out and put Ronaldo in!  He can do a better job even as he is old and heavy!

Come on the organge men is what I am shouting to the announce of my husband. He is supporting the Netherlands I think he objects to the kit comments.

Last night we were watching 1-0 go to put my son to bed and it was 5-0 ! I thought it was a joke!

I'm doing the Blue and White dance at the moment (allegiance to my mission country) but it's almost too painful to watch. Somebody DO something!

I'm running behind... watching it on DVR.  My nails are going to be gone pretty soon.

So there is a joke going around facebook right now:

How many goals will  Germany score in their next game?  A Brazillion?

LOL!!!!  You made me fall off my chair, I was laughing so hard!  :D

I gotta get on FB more...

Your husband was right anatess. lol Well now is Germany against the South Americans. Not sure why everyone is making such a fuss about the Germans though, I don't think anyone should take into account the 7-1 against Brazil because Brazil just...well..didn't play at all. Let's not forget the Germans struggled to beat the US and draw with Ghana.

Your husband was right anatess. lol Well now is Germany against the South Americans. Not sure why everyone is making such a fuss about the Germans though, I don't think anyone should take into account the 7-1 against Brazil because Brazil just...well..didn't play at all. Let's not forget the Germans struggled to beat the US and draw with Ghana.

I noticed long, long time ago that a country's culture seeps into the way their National Football Teams play.  Germany and Netherlands play according to their precision engineering culture.  They play like chess pieces and it is very disciplined.  South American teams play a more lively style in the same manner as their culture.  Lots of fancy footwork, lots of individual runs.  The US is a young team and they started out with what you would expect from an American team - everybody vying for that Star status on the field.  But now, they have so many "imports" including the coach that the precision engineering style has seeped into the play.

So, Germany versus US - same precision play.  It's like watching chess.  And the US Coach is intimate with the German playbook.  Plus a not-too-incentivized match... 1-0 score is within expectations.  Germany versus Argentina... precision play versus fancy footwork... it would be like Netherlands versus Argentina.  Except Netherlands is more quiet while Germany is more bold.   So, in my humble opinion, the winner depends on whether the Argentine defense plays as well as they played against Netherlands... because, I'm fairly certain the Germans already has a set play for tackling Messi.

Who do I think will win?  Germany.  Precision Engineering all the way.  Which means, Argentina is going to win the World Cup because... my picks have been really off the mark this tournament!!!

Who do I think will win?  Germany.  Precision Engineering all the way.  Which means, Argentina is going to win the World Cup because... my picks have been really off the mark this tournament!!!

You sound like a soccer expert! And you made me laugh loud with your last paragraph. LOL!!!

You sound like a soccer expert! And you made me laugh loud with your last paragraph. LOL!!!

LOL.  Not an expert.  Just been following the game for a long time.  My brother played for the Philippine National Team.  I was his #1 fan.

And Germany won.  No surprise there.  Awesome goal on extended time...

Neuer with the Golden Glove - no surprise.  And deserving.  No, no, it wasn't a PK when he raised his knee to Hiquain... The goalie can raise his knee when he's going for the ball... they get special privileges there.  It's a protection for the goalie who is usually meeting a running player on a head-on collision... the player can't play chicken with a goalie.

Messi with the Golden Ball?  Ahh, hmmm... questionable.  That was probably a mercy trophy...

But the best part of the World Cup?  The storm of enraged NY/PA fans hailing on WENY for cutting out the last 6 minutes of the game to air a weatherman giving a tornado warning...  Soccer finally matters in the USA.  Of course, if that happened in Brazil/Argentina - or in Spain/Germany/Portugal - that weatherman could be dead before morning... we're very far from that level of fandom.