Things You Like About Being A Member Of The Lds Chruch

I love that even if there are negative or rude people in church, the church itself is not. I love the redemption and modern revelation (like the WoW). I love that the Savior died for us and then gave us a mission to not only receive his redemption, but help the world find it as well.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are many things I like:

1. the involvment of members in callings and service - including youth.

2. The focus on living correctly (living by covenant).

3. The fullness of understanding of gospel principles.

4. The stright forward logic.

5. Openness to new ideas.

6. Vast variety of members.

7. The sameness through the world and differing societies.

8. Up holding of the family.

9. The freshness and insight brought by newly converted members.

10. That we all have a divine purpose.

11. Willingness to accept new scripture.

to mention a few

The Traveler

<div class='quotemain'>

Nobody mentioned the WoW. :-)

Are you mentioning it PC? :D

There is an old book written by a Norwegian immigrant to the U.S. It details a pretty typical experience for these folk, who settled in the Minnesota-Wisconsin, and N/S Dakota areas. The title? First We Have Coffee.

Ancestry is important, so the WoW would be my "cross to bare," not my favorite thing. :blush:

Guest Yediyd

The title? First We Have Coffee.

Ancestry is important, so the WoW would be my "cross to bare," not my favorite thing. :blush:

I heard that!!!!!!

If I didn't know Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the Restoration is real, I'd have left the Church long ago due to "thanktimony meetings" (the members' fault, not the Church's). :angry: Can't stand 'em!!!

BTW...I'm with you on this one, too. :angry:

I call them..."Testiphony" meetings...Hated them in the Baptist church, too.

Thanktimony/Testiphony meetings? Are those the ones where people say things like, "And I thank God for giving me the opportunity to provide for my family ... especially through a new home-based networking opportunity. BTW, if anyone is interested, see my after church--I'm sure God wants to bless you too?"

<div class='quotemain'>

The title? First We Have Coffee.

I heard that!!!!!!

If I didn't know Joseph Smith was a prophet and that the Restoration is real, I'd have left the Church long ago due to "thanktimony meetings" (the members' fault, not the Church's). :angry: Can't stand 'em!!!

BTW...I'm with you on this one, too. :angry:

I call them..."Testiphony" meetings...Hated them in the Baptist church, too.

We quelled the "I know my roommate is true" type of testimonies in my last ward by reading a prepared statement after the sacrament was passed that basically said: fast day is for fasting and gaining the spirit; we give money as offerings for the poor, and testimony was about Jesus Christ, his church, the BOM, Joseph Smith, etc. We didn't have to add that it wasn't about your latest vacation, etc., and our meetings were really good.

Also, we encouraged parents to have testimony meetings at home so that their children could bare testimony there. We strongly encouraged parents to not come up with their little ones and tell them what to say. This cut down on the "Primary portion" of testimony meeting, which always bugged me. The young ones that bore testimony then stated their thoughts, not parroted their parents, which was a lot better and, IMO, added to the spirit...

Guest Yediyd

I'm not so annoyed by the kids as I am by the same six tissue toting, blubbering, "Mollys" and "Peters" that slink up there every other month. Sometimes...I SWARE they go up three or four months in a row!!!!!

Thanktimony/Testiphony meetings? Are those the ones where people say things like, "And I thank God for giving me the opportunity to provide for my family ... especially through a new home-based networking opportunity. BTW, if anyone is interested, see my after church--I'm sure God wants to bless you too?"

Hahahahaha, not quite, though that too would turn me off.

The "thanktimony" meeting is a bastardized version of the once-monthly testimony meeting we have on Fast Sunday, during Sacrament meeting. Instead of talks, anyone can go up to the pulpit and share their witness of the gospel or Christ or prophets or whatever they feel prompted to testify about. Unfortunately, it's all too common for people to get up and act like it's the Emmies or something:

"And I'd just like to thank my family for...*sob*...for always being there for me. *sob* Even when I come home l-l-late from...*sob*...from a date and totally stay out past my c-c-c-curfew...*sob*...they still love me. Oh, and I know the Church is true. Amen."

Drives me nuts!

<div class='quotemain'>

The "thanktimony" meeting is a bastardized version of the once-monthly testimony meeting we have on Fast Sunday, during Sacrament meeting. Instead of talks, anyone can go up to the pulpit and share their witness of the gospel or Christ or prophets or whatever they feel prompted to testify about. Unfortunately, it's all too common for people to get up and act like it's the Emmies or something:

"And I'd just like to thank my family for...*sob*...for always being there for me. *sob* Even when I come home l-l-late from...*sob*...from a date and totally stay out past my c-c-c-curfew...*sob*...they still love me. Oh, and I know the Church is true. Amen."

Drives me nuts!

CK,

I will never look at an emotional testimony the same. :wow:

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

Drives me nuts!

Hey, Ck...are you a member of my ward? :o

I would like to bury my testimony that the church is true and that H-venly F-ther has blessed my family when my scrapebook shop--Pebbles in My Pocket on State Street just across from the University Mall--was added to the national scraping tour and that my daughter Tiffany has been accept to BYU where she will be able to find a husband and eternal companion. . .

So do you own Pebbles in my Pocket in Orem?

Nope, like I said "fictionalized," but the truth is amazingly similar. I don't own anything of value besides this computer, a '69 F250, student loans, and socks with holes in them.

Besides, you might know said Tiffany (not her real name).

<div class='quotemain'>

So do you own Pebbles in my Pocket in Orem?

Nope, like I said "fictionalized," but the truth is amazingly similar. I don't own anything of value besides this computer, a '69 F250, student loans, and socks with holes in them.

You "own" a great sense of humor and that in itself is extremely valuable.