Things You Like About Being A Member Of The Lds Chruch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Yediyd

Strawberry, Of all the Churches I have had the "pleasure" of visiting or becomming a member of....The Lds church is the first who REALLY puts their action where their mouth is...We teach helping our fellow man...and we do...in little as well as huge ways. I know that if I fall on hard times or am hurt or sick, that my RS will be there for me and my kids. I know that the Priesthood is looking out for me...even when I feel that they are not. They made a special point of sceduling another campout so they could make it up to my son about the Father/son thing that he missed. Even though I had to make a fuss about it...they stepped up in a big way.

Only in this church did I feel justified in getting angry that my son was left out of the Father/son campout thing...because I KNEW that we teach our members to be there for the fatherless and it isn't just empty words!!!!

When I am discouraged...I can count on a card or a phone call or a visit from Somebody, My LDS family REALLY cares about me!!! I've never felt that in any other church I have ever been in.

Thanks for asking this qiestion, Strawberry...I too, needed to be reminded of why I love this church so much!!!

Guest Username-Removed

What I like about he church ...

1) I like the fact that a person can progress pretty fast, if that's what a person wants.

2) Its the best place to find the most concentrated source of truth.

3) I like the inspiration; If I cant find the answers I'm looking for, I can simply ask Heavanly Father.

4) While it is true that progress, truth and inspiration can be found anywhere, this is the only place that has the authority of God to act on God behalf - Its the priesthood that makes it true - and thats the biggest difference between our church and the others. One of the best things I like about the church!

not sure if i'm the only one making this distinction, but what i like about the being a part of the chruch (vs. what i like about the gospel/doctrines) would be the member involvment. the skills learned outside of the doctrines learned are invaluable. the opportunities as children to make decisions, to do public speaking, share your thoughts and experiances in classess. i like that we don't just sit there. we are all a part of things. no matter where you go things are similar enough that you can take part even if you are a visitor. there are few surprises in that respect.

when i was rs pres one suday i was late. very late. given circumstances at the time i was to be conducting, and teaching the lesson. we have rs first so my being late was a big problem. there was no one else "called" to officially step up when i was out. i arrived expecting everyone to be upset at me and just sitting around talking. the highcounselman was visiting and his wife had come with him. i walked in to the lesson in progress. after a few min they decided that something must have come up that was unavoidable, without hard feelings, they began picking out songs, the highcounselman's wife cunducted the meeting, they had a prayer and all opened their books and started discussing the lesson. not a beat was missed. i had to sit back and smile, had our roles been reversed i would have done the same for her. what other chruch works that way? what other chruch trains it's ppl that way? where else can you go to a meeting not of your usual attendace and have the oportunity to step up and lead? maybe there are others and i have yet to see them, but it is something i truely love about our chruch.

another example, i had the primary pres tell me she was so impressed that one sunday we got there before her (doesn't usually happen, again primary and such are first) and she came in to find the kids had gotten all the chairs out and arranged them in the order she liked them and were sitting there waiting on her. i had just sent them to primary, didn't even realize she was 5 min behind us.

even if the chruch wasn't true, i find those skills that are fostered to be an amazing oportunity. public speaking, doing your part, finding the needs around you and meeting them, being proactive, involved and leading when necessary. also skills of following and defering to those who are called to lead. all these skills are important when entering the adult world. i think that is awsome.

Guest Yediyd

not sure if i'm the only one making this distinction, but what i like about the being a part of the chruch (vs. what i like about the gospel/doctrines) would be the member involvment. the skills learned outside of the doctrines learned are invaluable. the opportunities as children to make decisions, to do public speaking, share your thoughts and experiances in classess. i like that we don't just sit there. we are all a part of things. no matter where you go things are similar enough that you can take part even if you are a visitor. there are few surprises in that respect.

when i was rs pres one suday i was late. very late. given circumstances at the time i was to be conducting, and teaching the lesson. we have rs first so my being late was a big problem. there was no one else "called" to officially step up when i was out. i arrived expecting everyone to be upset at me and just sitting around talking. the highcounselman was visiting and his wife had come with him. i walked in to the lesson in progress. after a few min they decided that something must have come up that was unavoidable, without hard feelings, they began picking out songs, the highcounselman's wife cunducted the meeting, they had a prayer and all opened their books and started discussing the lesson. not a beat was missed. i had to sit back and smile, had our roles been reversed i would have done the same for her. what other chruch works that way? what other chruch trains it's ppl that way? where else can you go to a meeting not of your usual attendace and have the oportunity to step up and lead? maybe there are others and i have yet to see them, but it is something i truely love about our chruch.

another example, i had the primary pres tell me she was so impressed that one sunday we got there before her (doesn't usually happen, again primary and such are first) and she came in to find the kids had gotten all the chairs out and arranged them in the order she liked them and were sitting there waiting on her. i had just sent them to primary, didn't even realize she was 5 min behind us.

even if the chruch wasn't true, i find those skills that are fostered to be an amazing oportunity. public speaking, doing your part, finding the needs around you and meeting them, being proactive, involved and leading when necessary. also skills of following and defering to those who are called to lead. all these skills are important when entering the adult world. i think that is awsome.

You put my thoughts into your words very nicely!!! That is what I mean about putting our beliefs where our mouths are!!! We put what we believe into action and teach member involvement and responcibility like I have never seen in any other church.

Just this sunday...I was teaching three primary classes together as two teachers were not able to come to church for whatever reason....no problem...we just doubled up and had a great lesson!!!!

Guest Yediyd

The part about eternal salvation is rather intriguing.

Yeah, Jason...but that is not limited to LDS alone...I believed in eternal salvation as a Baptist before I converted to LDS.

Thanks.

I haven't been to church for a long long time. I am trying to decided if I miss it much.... :(

Our faith walk includes both experiences for individual and collective growth.

The Book of Mormon and other scriptures mention how we can worship God anywhere. You can find aspects of gospel living, happiness and worship outside of church. Individually you can communicate with God anytime. This is good news especially if you can't make it to church. Right now, from what your posts show, you've been handed a lot of tough things that demand your time and attention. You have been given the ability to be sensitive to them and try to address them.

On the other hand there's also the social aspect. Christ used the analogy of the church as a body. You are a part of that body. There are aspects that only you can bring and that even the most annoying person can too:) Each person rubs off on others and teaches important things. What happens when you are not there? I know sometimes there are people whose names I don't know or recall. But I notice when they are not at church. Ben said something in one of his posts why church? The response was, to show whose side your on. Also as a LDS there are certain ordinances to take part in and lessons to learn.

Don't know why you haven't been to church. Just weigh your own situation out in your heart. Why aren't you going? Do you harbor anger, impatience or something? Or do you have matters that need your attention? ( like crimson caring for his dad?). If there is a good reason why you are not after having discussed it with God don't be hard on yourself. Just because you are not physically at church does not mean your heart can't be on the right track. Maybe there is something you can work out so you can at least go once in a while. if you are supposed to be at church-get there! You won't be happy unless you do.

Having a living Prophet, and apostles that give unbelievably inspiring talks.

Having that Book of Books, the Book of Mormon. As well as The Doctrine and Covenants, the Pof GP.

Callings. What a truly cool thing that is, the ability to serve others and grow. This is not meant to be a "boast", it really isn't, but I am an outstanding teacher (according to everyone that has been in my classes, both young and old) when it comes to the Gospel. But I've had lots of practice because of the church, thru callings and my mission. And I'm sure that there are a lot of you that have that same gift, because of the church.

The ability to give blessings to my wife and children, as well as others. The thoughts that flow thru you and the spirit that attends that are unbelievable.

HT and VT, to keep track of where everyone is and how they are doing. True, the %s are terrible, but that is our fault, not the Lord's. Those that don't do their HT/VT faithfully really miss out.

Having an understanding of the Plan of Salvation, our part in it, the Atonement, our relationship to HF and Jesus Christ.

Just a couple of things I thought of...

I love the Visiting Teaching program and being part of such a great sisterhood of service. For years I was inactive, but I did my visiting teaching every month...it was my life-line to the church. Maybe life-saving line would be a more appropriate term. Because of my living situation, I would not let my own visiting teachers or home teachers come to my house, but I had a couple of very special ones that always reminded me that they were always there looking out for me and thinking about me. What other place would a single woman have four (non-family member) people looking out for her?

Thanks for your post Rosie and Sixpack.

When Nick was in the accident that almost took his life, almost 3 years ago, our lives became very complex. I lost myself in service to my son and almost everything went by the wayside. We have a 2ed home four hours away which we go to often and a calling became a difficult thing to do. We worked as member of the activities committee for a few years, which still allowed us to serve without the huge time constraint as some of the other callings we have had. This went well for a few years and then it was in our best interest for my daughter to relocated to another school Nicks accident had taken a toll on the entire family and my daughter being the youngest, needed some special time to become her own person. Last April her and I moved to our 2ed home and she went to high school there were she completed her requirement early but graduated in May.

While we were living there we went occasionally to the ward there and when we were in town we went to our ward here (we are all living together again). We would get together with my hubby and Nick every weekend they would come our way we my daughter and I would go there direction. I was a difficult time being apart during the week but the rewards paid off in a big way for all of us in different ways. We all love being together but something is defiantly different in our lives. My children who are 20 and almost 18 now have very little interest in the church. I have an older son who was married in the temple two weeks before Nick's accident and he has a solid foundation in the church.

Now that we are all back together our lives have not gotten any calmer. We have two very sick fathers, mine has Alzheimer’s along with Prostrate Cancer and my hubbies’ father is in the hospital and he has made it into Rehab following brain surgery. I spend 3-4 days a week at the hospital supporting my MIL and helping my FIL. I go to my father's appointments with him and we have been getting our home ready to sell, Part of the reason for putting our home on the markets is to see if it will sell and give ourselves a new opportunity in a new area. We fell very disconnected with our ward after so long of being away.

I would like very to have the feelings that we used to have on Sunday after being at church. I miss that a lot. I don’t think our situation of traveling to our other home will change any time soon. That home is a real place of serenity after a long week of trails that we seem to have had for years. It maybe that we need to create a home like atmosphere when we attend each ward might be a little difficult to do but if we want it bad enough we can do it.

Our home will have a For Sale sign placed on it by tomorrow...

SF,

My heart goes out to you. Sometimes things are thrown at us that cause a lot of side effects, as it were. Unfortunately, you were not able to really attend church, and you feel this has caused some problems.

I served in my last ward with a very wise man as the other counselor that said a very profound thing that has never left me. We had a YM that had gotten his GF pregnant. He did the right thing and married her, but she was kind of anti church (not because of us being Mormons but rather I think she was very shy). Anyway, we were discussing how to help this YM during a Bishopric meeting and this counselor said "he needs to focus on his family now. Church can come later, but he needs to be helping his wife and be there for her. There will be time later to be at church and serve." And you know what? Within about 4 months, he was coming to church regularly again, now with his wife and little girl.

I loved that kid. He is a good kid that made a mistake, but he is rectifying it and will be a strong member, and I believe will bring his wife with him. But he needed to not have the church worries at that time. That time was for making a strong bond with his wife and taking care of those things.

So if you have things that are more important (and what is more important than family?) church attendance can wait, IMHO. But scripture study, FHE, praying, can all go on in the home and testimony can be strengthened.

I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks again Sixpack. :)

Our bishop is a wonderful friend of ours and I know he has his eyes and ears looking out for us. When he calls us he calls us on our cell phone because we are so busy and we can feel the love from him and some of our ward members.

I forgot to mention that on Sunday when were were at the hospital the elders came around to give the sacrament. My FIL has been on a feeding tube for 3-4 weeks now. My hubby and I knew that if it was at all possible he should take the sacrament. I went to find his nurse and ask her if it was possible for him to take the sacrament. She said that she had just learned that he could take it through his feeding tube and she explained how to do this to the elders. It was such a nice experience as this nurse who didn't understand the process of the tow blessings and how they worked worked with the six of us in that hospital room. It was such a nice thing for us to be able to take the sacrament along with my FIL in his hospital room.... Simple but just as meaningful.

I love everything about the church. It is just so awesome! I have not even been baptized yet (will be this coming Sunday though) but I have already fell in love with all the doctrines and such of the church. I also love how you're treated like family in the LDS church. Everybody is so friendly!

Since i have moved from Utah to New Zealand the church has been a great strength for me.

I remember what my husband told me as we were preparing to move here.

That the church is the same no matter where in the world you live.

my children sing the same songs, and we have the same lessons.

So I am happy that I am in the church. Particularly for my kids as there was one thing that

stayed the same for them.