Eternal Marriage

physicswakko

A question on sealing I would like to have a second, or fourteenth, opinion on. So avoiding a complicated story and conditionals within, a couple is sealed and through the transcourse of their life, it becomes possible that to be together, a divorce may be needed. So having been sealed, but civilly divorced, are they still married or are they not? Assuming that they still love each other and haven't cheated, are they still one flesh in God's eyes, seeing how God deems the sealing as valid rather than civil?

Yes, they are still considered sealed even in the case of divorce, unless one of them is excommunicated at some point, or if a sealing cancellation is requested by one of them and is granted.

It is not easy to get a sealing cancellation, and circumstances must be extreme in order to be granted one.

On a side note about sealing cancellations, a friend of mine found herself in the unusual circumstance of having two sealing cancellations. She was sealed in the temple to her first husband, who turned out to be physically abusive. She divorced him and requested a sealing cancellation which was approved.

She then married for a second time and was sealed to her second husband in the temple. He also turned out to be physically abusive. She requested and was granted another sealing cancellation in that case as well.

Edited by Silhouette

A question on sealing I would like to have a second, or fourteenth, opinion on. So avoiding a complicated story and conditionals within, a couple is sealed and through the transcourse of their life, it becomes possible that to be together, a divorce may be needed. So having been sealed, but civilly divorced, are they still married or are they not? Assuming that they still love each other and haven't cheated, are they still one flesh in God's eyes, seeing how God deems the sealing as valid rather than civil?

Words do not seal a person to another. All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, not made, entered into, and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise are of no efficacy or force after the resurrection (see D&C 132:7). A person who has civilly divorced another has not entered into the covenant and so the Holy Spirit cannot ratify that sealing. A covenant not honored is a covenant broken. 

Now, is the opportunity still open at some future time before the resurrection for the couple to make good on their promise? I believe so. But they must abide the Lord's law of marriage in very deed or they will find themselves separate and alone and will remain singly without exaltation through all eternity.

Words do not seal a person to another. All covenants, contracts, bonds, obligations, not made, entered into, and sealed by the Holy Spirit of promise are of no efficacy or force after the resurrection (see D&C 132:7). A person who has civilly divorced another has not entered into the covenant and so the Holy Spirit cannot ratify that sealing. A covenant not honored is a covenant broken. 

Now, is the opportunity still open at some future time before the resurrection for the couple to make good on their promise? I believe so. But they must abide the Lord's law of marriage in very deed or they will find themselves separate and alone and will remain singly without exaltation through all eternity.

... this is also true even if they remained married and did not get a divorce.  The action, not the piece of paper, is what's important.

I asked this question because it is kind of happening in my life. I have been married for 11 years to my lovely wife. Well, a year after marriage, we ran into an issue, and she had to stay in Mexico (she wasn't illegal, just we should have never left the US to visit her family at that time.) Now, having been denied her visa twice over the years, she requested a divorce because, apparently, it is easier to enter being a fiancee rather than a wife. We were married in the temple, but the divorce is superficial rather than really of any efficacy for us.

I asked this question because it is kind of happening in my life. I have been married for 11 years to my lovely wife. Well, a year after marriage, we ran into an issue, and she had to stay in Mexico (she wasn't illegal, just we should have never left the US to visit her family at that time.) Now, having been denied her visa twice over the years, she requested a divorce because, apparently, it is easier to enter being a fiancee rather than a wife. We were married in the temple, but the divorce is superficial rather than really of any efficacy for us.

Sorry, this situation sounds strange. It feels like major details are missing from your explanation. You have allowed this to go on for years? If my wife couldn't be with me in America I would move to Mexico within a matter of months. 

Major details? Yeah, a few years worth. No one wants to read a novel about it. I would not use allow either. Mexico, along with other countries have been worked on, but yet, it is difficult to live with no real income in those places and natives feeling threatened by foreigners in jobs of higher pay.

If the legalities for getting her back into the country really require you two to divorce (and I think you should talk to an immigration lawyer before you take that step), then you need to plan to remarry ASAP; you should talk to your bishop about where this leaves your sealing; and from a cohabitation/sex standpoint I agree with Vort-you should consider yourselves unmarried in the interim. People--including, I believe, at least one apostle--have been excommunicated for using their sealings to justify an ongoing sexual relationship in the absence of a legal marriage.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Major details? Yeah, a few years worth. No one wants to read a novel about it. I would not use allow either. Mexico, along with other countries have been worked on, but yet, it is difficult to live with no real income in those places and natives feeling threatened by foreigners in jobs of higher pay.

You do not need opinions - talk to your bishop or if necessary your Stake President.

I would think that if both parties wanted the Temple Marriage to be valid, then it would be. I'm dealing with the opposite, my wife and I were divorced recently, our temple marriage is still there, but she says that if she were to meet someone in the future and marry him, she would disolve our temple marriage. I made a lot of mistakes, but now things are different. I wish we could still be together, if not in this world, then the next. But it takes two people. I'm sure someday I will be able to see the sun again, but right now, it seems like rain evey day.