Winter Driving in RI, CT, MA, NH, VT

So, I have a front-wheel drive mini-SUV... in Florida.  Florida is very flat - the highest point is the bridge.  Hah.

Now, we're thinking of snow hunting and visiting family and friends in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and several States all the way up to New Hampshire and possibly Vermont.

And so, we are planning to take our car and have a driving tour... in Winter.  I know PA and NJ are doable because we've taken this same car out there before... but we've never gone farther than New York.  My cousin said it would be perilous to drive in anything other than an all-wheel-drive car once you get to Rhode Island even on the freeways and highways.  And her house is up on the mountain...

This is our 6th year of snow hunting.  Interestingly, we've never found snow in all those years.  We've gone to Cleveland, Niagara Falls, Indianapolis, Louisville, even the Smokey Mountains... no snow in December except for the slush piles left behind on the side of the roads and the snow-machine snow on the ski slope and sled hill... But this year is going to be our year... because, my cousin said there has not been a time since she moved there 20 years ago that there isn't snow 9 days out of 10 where she lives... so we're headed there... and my husband will finally experience driving in snow... maybe.

But... what to do with our car?

From my understanding fwd is actually the middle man when it comes to snow driving, rwd the worst, 4wd clearly the best.

But pffffft, I live in California, I've driven in places with snow on the ground like twice, both times the snow wasn't recent and the roads were well clear. So I'm just saying what I've heard, and it makes sense because the weight of the vehicle is primarily on the drive tires in a fwd car, giving you more traction than a rwd would have.

So, I have a front-wheel drive mini-SUV... in Florida.  Florida is very flat - the highest point is the bridge.  Hah.

Now, we're thinking of snow hunting and visiting family and friends in Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and several States all the way up to New Hampshire and possibly Vermont.

And so, we are planning to take our car and have a driving tour... in Winter.  I know PA and NJ are doable because we've taken this same car out there before... but we've never gone farther than New York.  My cousin said it would be perilous to drive in anything other than an all-wheel-drive car once you get to Rhode Island even on the freeways and highways.  And her house is up on the mountain...

This is our 6th year of snow hunting.  Interestingly, we've never found snow in all those years.  We've gone to Cleveland, Niagara Falls, Indianapolis, Louisville, even the Smokey Mountains... no snow in December except for the slush piles left behind on the side of the roads and the snow-machine snow on the ski slope and sled hill... But this year is going to be our year... because, my cousin said there has not been a time since she moved there 20 years ago that there isn't snow 9 days out of 10 where she lives... so we're headed there... and my husband will finally experience driving in snow... maybe.

But... what to do with our car?

Don't feel bad there are some places in Missouri and Illinois and Indiana where if you stood on a tuna fish can you would be able to see about 20-30 miles....:)

I understand Buffalo, New York has snow.

Yes indeed, a meteorologist friend of mine was just talking to me about lake-effect snow and its dangers, which are great this year because of the (ahem) polar vortex.

He said the snow kills a lot of people.  They start driving and pretty soon they're buried in several feet of snow.  Some drivers then keep the car running to stay warm, but they don't keep the exhaust pipe clear, and... well, terrible things happen.

Be careful if you hunt snow in Buffalo.

Yes indeed, a meteorologist friend of mine was just talking to me about lake-effect snow and its dangers, which are great this year because of the (ahem) polar vortex.

He said the snow kills a lot of people.  They start driving and pretty soon they're buried in several feet of snow.  Some drivers then keep the car running to stay warm, but they don't keep the exhaust pipe clear, and... well, terrible things happen.

Be careful if you hunt snow in Buffalo.

I hope you know that my comment was meant to be humor.  :)

Anatess, I live in Northern Utah where we do have snow.  I have done fine with FWD.  AWD is better, but unless you're driving in snow up to your hubcaps, I would think you would be okay.  Just remember to slow down, and don't tailgate!

Here are a few guidelines for driving in the snow

1. Drive slow

2. If you think you are driving slow enough, slow down

3. If the person behind seems to be agitated at the speed you are driving, slow down some more and let them pass

When it is snowing heavily, I rarely get my car up over 20 mph.  It angers a lot of people behind me, but I always get to where I'm going safely.I haven't had an incident in over ten years.  The speed and the lack of incidents are closely related.

You do not need AWD to drive in the snow.  It can help, but won't necessarily.  The success of AWD is dependent on the ability of at least two of your tires to be able to get traction.  This makes AWD helpful in dealing with things like black ice, but in a freezing rain storm or a serious blizzard, it really doesn't do you any good.  What makes the snow difficult to deal with is that when it compresses under the tire, it becomes as slippery as ice.  If this is happening under all four tires, AWD is useless.

So your best option is to drive slow enough that you can come to a natural stop with minimal braking should you lose control.  If you do that, then the biggest threat to you is the impatient idiot behind you.

I'm with MOE.  I have a horrible horrible fear of driving in snow.  So much so that I almost don't breathe while driving and I practically have to pry my hands from the steering wheel when I get to my destination.

I drive slow.  I drive the speed that I am comfortable with.  It sometimes makes me nervous when others (especially those in SUV's) drive so quickly around me.  I wonder if I'm just being a wimp.  But if I speed up my anxiety level goes up and I feel unsafe.  I figure people can go around me.

I haven't always felt this way. It started when I got rear ended from someone sliding on ice. Nothing they could do. We were only going 15 miles an hour at the time. But it scared me enough to think of the possibilities that I've developed probably an unhealthy fear of driving in snow.

It snowed almost 2 feet in Edmonton last week.  Come on up and share the joy.  I am driving the Acura version of a 2010 Civic with all-season tires.  Your little SUV should be okay. You better hurry because they had to spend all the snow clearing budget on this dump so if it snows again, well, you aren't going to be seeing much.

Guest MormonGator

I grew up in NH. 

Stick to main roads. Highways, main streets, etc. They are going to be the most well traveled, plowed and safest. 

Leave extra room between cars. Tailgating up here during snow may get you in an serious accident because you don't have more room to brake. 

Speaking of brakes, pump regular brakes, slam on anti locks if in the rare event you find yourself slipping on ice or sliding in the snow. 

Assume the driving conditions are bad so you can prepare. Don't think "Everyone else seems to be doing fine so I don't have to pay attention" The natives are driving fine because they are cautious and have experience driving in the snow.

Drive slower. Watch other cars. Pay attention.

Above all, when the roads are closed up here, stay off them. They are closed for a reason. Nothing is that important. 

I no longer live in NH and do not miss the snow/cold weather at all. 

Edited by MormonGator

The only fear of driving in the snow that can be classified as unhealthy is the kind of fear that doesn't provoke your response.  

Thanks MOE. That makes me feel better.  It really does.

Make sure your tires are good or get all-weather ones put on.  You could also look at getting those traction (chain?) things if that will make you feel better.  Honestly, except for black ice, I've driven in rainstorms out East that are worse than any snow I drove in in UT.

Have a fun and safe trip!

It snowed almost 2 feet in Edmonton last week.  Come on up and share the joy.  I am driving the Acura version of a 2010 Civic with all-season tires.  Your little SUV should be okay. You better hurry because they had to spend all the snow clearing budget on this dump so if it snows again, well, you aren't going to be seeing much.

I'm familiar with the lovely snow in Edmonton. The roads are in better shape now and the temperature is much nicer than last week. I recommend winter tires, they're the best thing since sliced bread. But for some reason, Anatess and her family seem to have the ability to keep snow at a distance. I can't wait for her to return from her trip and let us know if the snow stayed away again.

M.

Edited by Maureen

No... My cousin guaranteed snow for us on Christmas Eve. She said 20 years of Christmas snow is not going to change just because a certain family of unlucky Floridians decided to come visit... :D

Ok, so I decided to go give my car dealership a visit... And here's what I found out:

My car is not AWD but it has the following features:

1.). Stabilitrak - when the car starts to skid, sensors will sense it and apply the proper amount of brake pressure on individual tires relative to steering wheel position and speed of movement to help correct the skid. But yes, this still requires that the driver knows how to manage a skid... and as a bonus, because I have the rain sense feature on my car (my car wipers turn on and off automagically with rain... it even turns the lights on automatically when the wipers are on for a certain period of time)... the brake system will automatically dry itself up (brake wipers if you can believe that!) when the stabilitrak and traction control sensors are activated...

2.) Traction Control - if the tires go on a free spin, the onboard computer signals the brakes on the free spinning tire and the accelerator to balance the spin and the acceleration to provide the best traction.

3.). Antilock Brakes

4.) All weather tires

The dealership assured me that the car is good to go to Vermont... But that my husband may want to read up on how to drive in northern winter conditions.

I feel a little better about it but still don't know how this car would climb a snowy mountain...

Edited by anatess

Guest MormonGator

No... My cousin guaranteed snow for us on Christmas Eve. She said 20 years of Christmas snow is not going to change just because a certain family of unlucky Floridians decided to come visit... :D

Ok, so I decided to go give my car dealership a visit... And here's what I found out:

My car is not AWD but it has the following features:

1.). Stabilitrak - when the car starts to skid, sensors will sense it and apply the proper amount of brake pressure on individual tires relative to steering wheel position and speed of movement to help correct the skid. But yes, this still requires that the driver knows how to manage a skid... and as a bonus, because I have the rain sense feature on my car (my car wipers turn on and off automagically with rain... it even turns the lights on automatically when the wipers are on for a certain period of time)... the brake system will automatically dry itself up (brake wipers if you can believe that!) when the stabilitrak and traction control sensors are activated...

2.) Traction Control - if the tires go on a free spin, the onboard computer signals the brakes on the free spinning tire and the accelerator to balance the spin and the acceleration to provide the best traction.

3.). Antilock Brakes

4.) All weather tires

The dealership assured me that the car is good to go to Vermont... But that my husband may want to read up on how to drive in northern winter conditions.

I feel a little better about it but still don't know how this car would climb a snowy mountain...

Great advice by the dealership. You'll be fine if you drive slow, really

Don't stop on an incline if the roads aren't cleared and put plenty of space between you and everyone else.

If the roads aren't cleared I will disobey lots of traffic laws just so I don't have to stop on an incline so I put plenty of space between myself and others. Stopping on an incline in ice or slush is a sure fire way to get stuck or lose control and smash into somebody.

And if you start to slide, turn the opposite direction, i.e. if the front is sliding left, turn to the right

Edited by yjacket

Ohhh, do I have a great story for y'all...

So, I used to work in Mentor Ohio which is a stone's throw from the Kirtland Temple. This was before I met my husband which is well before I knew what a Mormon is...

So, on the way home from work, I'd be super tired and have to drive up the hill towards the turn into that Whitney store. On the top of the hill is the Kirtland Temple that in those days I just thought of as this really pretty sparkly white old building. In the winter, it would snow and sometimes that road up the hill would be iced up. I had a stick shift peanut wagon of a car and it's always a struggle going up that hill and I've been on accidents several times on that spot (hey, this was my first year ever in temperatures below 70 degrees!)...

After a few accidents, I got into the habit of looking at that pretty sparkly white building going up that hill as my goal and hope... and I'd breathe a big sigh of relief when I finally reach it because I know I'm home free...

Years later, I learned it was the very first LDS temple and that feeling of hope and goal has been what I would feel when looking at any temple.

Crazy, huh?