That last stretch of school before Christmas

Backroads

This morning I head forth to the school where as of precisely 12:10 PM of last Thursday the students felt that mighty touch of the Christmas spirit. We shall make it to Friday on slowly paced lesson plans, read alouds, and cute writing and art projects. My head teacher advised teaching nothing new and not bothering with spelling. So we will perfect our subtraction skills and chanel energy into writing. I am only glad my own child doesn't get there's much more than a pretty tree and new music.

Parents, how are your kids doing?

My kids are champing at the bit to get to Christmas break. They're still doing their homework and such, though. The secondary grades have finals all week, so we YW leaders gave them a finals survival kit (mostly snacks with cute or inspirational stories attached) and they were very grateful! 

Technically, I don't fit this category, but since my daughter's preschool and extracurricular activities follow the school district's calendar schedule, I'm chiming in ha. Uhhh, she's only three but she's super hyped up and excited about this last week of preschool because the next two days are mainly going to be holiday focused. Granted, preschool is generally fun but I think Thursday, especially, is just going to be holiday themed games and craft activities - no alphabet or maths :) As for her EA's, her recital is coming up this weekend, as well, and she's been very enthusiastic about it and can't wait to perform for her grandparents.

I've heard from teachers that teenageritis generally hits after winter break in the 6th grade. Prepare yourself anatess!

My loins are girded and I got my sword and shield...

Today I find out my 6th grader's Science Project is due tomorrow (who puts Science Project deadlines in the last day of school before Christmas break????)... and all he has done with the project is write a hypothesis.  Hah hah hah...

But... what makes this worse... I also find out today that my 8th Grader's piano recital (he goes to an Arts Middle School) is TONIGHT!  So.... I'm fairly certain this Science Project is going to be an all-nighter... Sigh.

And still, I absolutely REFUSE to go to the school website to get a list of all their homeworks and projects, etc.  They figure it out themselves or they get a bad grade.

In my house, A = Awesome, B = Bad, C = Catastrophic, D = Disastrous, F = Flipping Burgers is going to be higher than your pay grade...  LOL!

I hate my kids' public school. I'm so glad when it's over, whether for a vacation break or (better yet) done in the summer. My kids belong at home with their mother and me, not crammed in with 25 other same-aged kids, learning government-approved, politically-correct pablum along with all the other unseemly lessons that are taught in school.

I sometimes rethink my (our) decision to let our children chart their own educational course. I have been sorely tempted several times to pull my daughter completely out of school. And we have a pretty darn good school district, relatively speaking. Christmas vacation can't come soon enough.

We continue homeschooling them, especially in some subjects (e.g. math -- public school math is worse than useless).

Amen!

My 6th grader has a retired military officer for a Math teacher... he is awesome!  But other than him, every math teacher my kids have had all just follow the public school curriculum which is tailored to pass a test!  I had a completely different math experience from the Philippines so I teach my kids the way I was taught which, for a while there, confused them because it is different from the method taught by their teacher.  But they've gotten a good grasp of how to make use of what I teach them to supplement what they learn in school to get a broader understanding of the concept.

My 6th grader does not have math as his strong suit because he is a visual/tactile learner.  So, doing "paper math" (public school's method of choice) does not register in his brain - he ends up just memorizing steps instead of understanding the steps.  His brain doesn't work the same way as mine so we also have a challenge at home.  But, he went to a Montessori Elementary School that basically encourages mathematical self-discovery which really helped him out a lot in building a strong foundation.

My 8th grader... he's a math genius (takes after my dad)... and he hates math!  Math teacher skills are really very important to learning math.  It takes him a while to "get" his math teachers... so he would go to lala land in math class and comes home to ask me to show him how to answer his homework because his brain works the same way as mine so he can "get" what I tell him in a snap.

Edited by anatess

My loins are girded and I got my sword and shield...

Today I find out my 6th grader's Science Project is due tomorrow (who puts Science Project deadlines in the last day of school before Christmas break????)... and all he has done with the project is write a hypothesis.  Hah hah hah...

But... what makes this worse... I also find out today that my 8th Grader's piano recital (he goes to an Arts Middle School) is TONIGHT!  So.... I'm fairly certain this Science Project is going to be an all-nighter... Sigh.

And still, I absolutely REFUSE to go to the school website to get a list of all their homeworks and projects, etc.  They figure it out themselves or they get a bad grade.

In my house, A = Awesome, B = Bad, C = Catastrophic, D = Disastrous, F = Flipping Burgers is going to be higher than your pay grade...  LOL!

You and I must be having the same week.  We worked science fair last night until late and we have a like a million recitals, school concerts, and stuff the kids forgot to tell me until 5 mins before it's due.

And I'm with the rest of you on wanting my babies home with me and out of all the school environment.  I will say I'm happier this year than ever.  I've found two charter schools that are excellent and my kids are really thriving.  My older two are doing a hybrid schedule with half homeschool and half local school.  That seems to be working well.  I actually think my kids are learning and thinking!  Not all that going through the motion drone training stuff.

You and I must be having the same week.  We worked science fair last night until late and we have a like a million recitals, school concerts, and stuff the kids forgot to tell me until 5 mins before it's due.

My kid was able to finish the report for the Science Project at 11PM... no time to make the board.  So.... I stayed up all night making the display board.  I better get an A.

I love the online school my oldest attends. It's awesome. But we love vacations, too. :)

My niece failed at this miserably... instead of doing schoolwork she's messaging a thousand people she doesn't know all day long and told her grandmother (who is her guardian) it's part of school.  Since her grandmother can barely figure out her email, she believed her.  Hah.

That's part of the reason i really like her school.  They are really good about helping the kids learn about scheduling, prioritizing and letting them know how to succeed in the online environment.  But, yes, it definitely helps when you have an adult who knows what is going on and able to step in and help where needed.  My daughter needed me quite a bit during her first semester.  But she has really thrived and has needed me less and less.  The only thing i've done this semester is ask how it's going and check her grades.  She knows i'm there if she needs me.  She does her share of messaging though.  She meets with a writing group once a week in google.  She's met one girl in particular from the next state over that she messages a lot.  They write stories together and share their drawings.  I don't mind as long as she keeps up with her assignments.

It will be interesting to see what happens when the next sibling down goes.  He's not as responsible or mature as his big sister.  My kids don't start online school until age 12.  We homeschool before that.