Tell me what you see...

If Buzzfeed is to be believed... this is the exact same dress in the original controversial picture... taken at the wedding:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/the-dress-is-blue-and-black-says-the-girl-who-saw-it-in-pers

tumblr_inline_nkeezsjAuH1svicb3.jpg

I clearly see this dress as bright blue and black.  I asked my sons and they said... Duh!  That's the same colors as the original picture!  So yeah...  I still clearly see the controversial picture as pale lavender and gold.

dress.jpg

The lighter color in the image is clearly a shade of very light purplish blue. But in no world anywhere is the darker color black.

Now that's not to say the original dress wasn't blue and black. My personal take is that if you view the dress as being in bright sunlight then it appears a washed out blue and black, whereas if you perceive it in shadow with the sunlight behind it, then it looks white and gold. Both of those are perceptions, of course. The literal colors are easily seen (as mathematical realities in the likes of Photoshop, etc), and in no world anywhere does even the darkest spot (hex code #4e4026) equate to black! That's brown at best.

So...for all of us that wore white for our wedding dress... are you sure it was white? LOL This really is crazy. So far, out of all the people I have asked the color....they all say black and blue. I am the only one that says gold and white, and I still say gold and white even after seeing the original dress. :eek:

Okay, okay... this is interesting...

My friend swore up and down it was gold and white last night.  She woke up this morning saw all the FB posts on her newsfeed and saw the black and blue.  So she thought it was a different picture than what I showed her (sent via text).  So, she looked at her text again and... she saw black and blue.  She's thinks she just became a zombie.  LOL.

Same thing happened to me when I looked at your first post. But, it only lasted a few seconds then it turned to gold and white again. I don't care what the explanation is... it's just weird!

Before I retired I was a supervisor for Child Protective Services and had to investigate child abuse in home. Sometimes when I would ask a question to a couple different people they would give me different answers even though they were looking at the same exact thing. This now explains in my mind that it really is possible for two or more people to see the same thing only different.

So this made national news this morning.

It's so interesting that the population is seeing different things. I have a friend that just had a baby and she first saw the dress white and gold, but now, the next day, sees black and blue. So for her it changed. I'm wondering if the post pregnancy thing is to explain the two versions she saw.

Here my brother (an art/lighting teacher at BYU) created an image to explain what I was saying before:

11001858_10206017030734368_1279709257402

As you can see, the perception is relative to the shadow/sunlight.

They're both gold/pale lavender... but the eyes are definitely blue with the one on the left definitely contact lenses because a Filipino doesn't have blue eyes.

Edited by anatess

Finally, I can force myself to see the original photo as a blue dress with black trim! Though my brain keeps wanting to revert to a white or cream-colored dress with gold trim.

Btw, in either color scheme, I think the dress is kinda cool, not ugly like I've been reading many people saying. But then, I trust my sartorial tastes even less than my color perception.

On a completely unrelated topic, I noticed that Vort has changed his avatar back to the female (who is it by the way??) picture.  For the first 6 months of membership of the forum I thought he was female and that was an actual picture of him!

It's definitely a better portrait. But my pink bra strap is showing.