Utah and LDS

David13

I want to make moving to Utah a goal this year (southern Utah).

I was raised as a Catholic, but have exercised no religion in my adult life. 

I do believe I am a Christian and that I fit, or could fit into the LDS church.  That I could convert.

I have been told that to live and work in a Utah town that is mostly LDS, I would perhaps be an "outsider".

That they would prefer LDS in employment, thus, possibly leaving me out.

I don't want to move in and be an outsider, but a part of the community.

Is it honest to join or convert for that purpose?

Traveling in Utah, people seem to openly accept me as seeming to be "one of them".

So I feel welcome and invited there.

It seems I would fit in with the politics, the restrictions, the freedoms, the ideas. 

But would I really be considered "not one of us" by the small town people?

Maybe I'm just over thinking the thing.  My grandmother, moving to Michigan from Europe (Germany or points east and south) said "we joined the Catholic church as that's what the other immigrants were doing."

Do I need to convert?  I think I want to.

dc

You should join Church of Jesus Christ because you have faith in Jesus Christ, not a desire to just fit in.  

There are plenty of non-Mormons in Utah (45% of the pop).  So you won't be the only one.

Regardless or not you join the church, I would recommend learning about it when moving to Utah, because it does affect the culture.  For instance, if you have kids and none of the other kids want to play with them on Sunday, that's not because your kids are bad, but because Sunday is the Sabbath and Mormons spend it with their families.  Learning about the culture any place you live can ease the transition and prevent misunderstandings. 

One particular thing you should know: Mormon congregations are assigned geographically.  So your entire block goes to church at the exact same time, they have summer barbecues at church together, Christmas parties etc.  For that reason, if an area is heavily Mormon (>80%) the church summer barbecue can take quasi be the neighborhood one too.  That's not because anyone's trying to exclude non-Mormon folks, its just largely the same crowd.  If you want to get to know your neighbors, it might be a good idea to go to the barbecue even if you're not-Mormon (barbecues are social events, not spiritual).  

Thank you.

I ask people to pray.  If someone expresses any religion, I sometimes ask them to pray.

Not strangers, but yes, I ask them.

Catholics are Christians.  Baptized, confirmed, previously active, I don't think I ever became un-Catholic, or un-Christian.

Just inactive.

Thanks for the responses. 

Anyone else, please let me know what you think about my issue.

David

I want to make moving to Utah a goal this year (southern Utah).

I was raised as a Catholic, but have exercised no religion in my adult life. 

I do believe I am a Christian and that I fit, or could fit into the LDS church.  That I could convert.

I have been told that to live and work in a Utah town that is mostly LDS, I would perhaps be an "outsider".

That they would prefer LDS in employment, thus, possibly leaving me out.

I don't want to move in and be an outsider, but a part of the community.

Is it honest to join or convert for that purpose?

Traveling in Utah, people seem to openly accept me as seeming to be "one of them".

So I feel welcome and invited there.

It seems I would fit in with the politics, the restrictions, the freedoms, the ideas. 

But would I really be considered "not one of us" by the small town people?

Maybe I'm just over thinking the thing.  My grandmother, moving to Michigan from Europe (Germany or points east and south) said "we joined the Catholic church as that's what the other immigrants were doing."

Do I need to convert?  I think I want to.

dc

that is an honest reason to join or convert…. but i would caution against doing so solely for such a reason; the only time a person should convert to any religion dealing with God is because they have had some sort of revelation or divination from the heavens to do so- i.e. you join because you know in some form or another that God wants you to be with them rather than to be just part of the group. And no you don't need to convert to join a community or even go to the lds social events- altho should you do go to those there will likely be some pressure to some extent or another to join (some people are really gung-ho)

as for the utah culture you'll find quite a few different types with all types of quirks and each place will have its pros and cons. I don't think you shouldn't be running into that sort of problem too much tho. and while the ldd populations do have some of the major groups in utah locales, they certainly aren't the only ones- there are plenty of other religious groups and etc within most communities.

Thanks Blackmarch

What is being called?

I do think I am being called, drawn, enticed, lured.  I think I see signs.

But is it just my desire?

Is there a difference?

I think someone else posted there has to be a reason.  And the only way to know is to go and see. 

That's about the only way I can go.

Go and do it, trust God, and make it work.

dc

Thanks Blackmarch

What is being called?

Is there a difference?

I think someone else posted there has to be a reason.  And the only way to know is to go and see. 

dc

Sounds good. make sure to pray always, be humble and patient. Sometimes that is what you have to do- the red sea didn't part until after people started getting wet. (I'd probably hazard a guess and say that it probably didn't happen till folks were up to their necks).

Thanks Blackmarch

What is being called?

Is there a difference?

dc

There's a big difference between the Catholic CCD and the LDS investigatory steps. In Catholic CCD, you must have already made the decision to be Catholic to attend CCD. In LDS, you can meet and have lessons with missionaries, attend Church services, go to Sunday School and Priesthood Quorums, join Activities, etc. without any intention to be baptized and convert. The missionaries and ward members can be over-zealous (natural, really) and ask you if you want to be baptized over and over again. If you this bothers you, just tell them, "The Holy Spirit has not impressed upon me the truth of the restored gospel. When I do, I'll let you know. In the meantime, please don't ask me to be baptized anymore."

There's a teen-ager in our ward who is more active than some Mormons and he is not baptized. His mom refused to let him be baptized. But, he goes to Church an hour before it starts so he can put up chairs and hymnbooks, practices and sings with the choir, etc. The only thing he doesn't do is the stuff that requires Priesthood authority.

Anyway, when you can answer the baptismal questions honestly, then you are ready to be baptized... one of them is, "Do you believe that Joseph Smith is a prophet of God? Do you believe that President Monson is a Prophet of God?" and "Are you willing to obey gospel standards and make a covenant?" Or something to that effect.

Hello again. I thought this talk from the last General Conference of our church might be of interest to you, particularly if you do wind up moving to Utah. It was specifically given to non-members and answers the question, "Why are Latter-day Saints so eager to tell me about what they believe and to invite me to learn about their church?"

Here's the link:  https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/come-and-see?lang=eng