Happy Father's Day

pam

This is my first Father's Day without my dad. My heart is very heavy today. I'm thankful for lots of good men around me, though, including and most of all my husband. 

It's really hard seeing all of the posts of friends doing fun things with their dads for Father's Day.  It's not that I'm not happy for them but it just drives home that my dad isn't here any longer to enjoy those same things.  Plus my dad had Alzheimers the last few years before passing away so I really had already lost the dad I knew.

I'll try to lighten the conversation up a bit, while sticking to topic:  Is it the same in most LDS wards as it seems to be in our churches--that for Mom's Days it's all accolades, but on Dad's days we tend to get beat up about how we should step up and be better dads:  more responsible, more engaged, more serving, less selfish--hey, fulfill your priesthood duties, bucko!  Enquiring minds want to know.

We attended another Ward this past Sunday. Had a relative leaving for his mission tomorrow. Reports to the MTC then on to Vegas. Even though I was a visitor I still got the Fathers Day homemade cookies. Lucky me !! Then afterwards we went to my daughter and son in laws home and my other kids and their families joined us. Nice day.

We had 3 talks -

1.) Young man talking about the day he was ordained a priest by his dad and how his dad was instrumental in the building of his testimony that led to that ordination.

2.) Elderly woman born in 1945 converted to LDS in 2012 talking about her Protestant dad and how he was instrumental in her testimony of Christ all throughout her life.

3.) Elderly man, husband of the elderly woman born in 1943 in England converted in 2012 with his wife talking about how his dad who was a member of the Church of England and built a metal leaf table that can be transformed into a bomb shelter that saved his family and then saved the rest of the town by honking the air raid whistle...

We also had Primary sing an intermediate song. And then the Ward Choir sang the closing song. It was quite a fantastic spiritual uplifting sacrament meeting. In the end, the youth handed giant size Hersheys chocolate bar wrapped in a paper tie origami to all males 18 and over and had several ribbings to the few males who just turned 18 and just graduated from high school who tried to refuse their chocolate...

Of course, I was so happy because my husband got his chocolate and handed it over to me (he's on this health diet thing again)... I had the whole thing down my throat before I reached the door to Gospel Doctrine class.

The relief society brought homemade cookies in to our priesthood opening exercises, they were huge cookies. I took one and thought about my 3 daughters then took two more. After church I gave each one of them a cookie. It was special for me because their mother does not come with us to church so I feel like the mom and the dad on sundays.

Not so much any more, though that used to be pretty common. Seems that Father's Day in the LDS wards I've attended are much more positive and appreciative. The men even got candy bars this year in our ward, which of course is exactly what we most needed.

Was it a Snickers bar so that you all could just chill out?  :P

We had 3 talks -1.) Young man talking about the day he was ordained a priest by his dad and how his dad was instrumental in the building of his testimony that led to that ordination.2.) Elderly woman born in 1945 converted to LDS in 2012 talking about her Protestant dad and how he was instrumental in her testimony of Christ all throughout her life.3.) Elderly man, husband of the elderly woman born in 1943 in England converted in 2012 with his wife talking about how his dad who was a member of the Church of England and built a metal leaf table that can be transformed into a bomb shelter that saved his family and then saved the rest of the town by honking the air raid whistle...We also had Primary sing an intermediate song. And then the Ward Choir sang the closing song. It was quite a fantastic spiritual uplifting sacrament meeting. In the end, the youth handed giant size Hersheys chocolate bar wrapped in a paper tie origami to all males 18 and over and had several ribbings to the few males who just turned 18 and just graduated from high school who tried to refuse their chocolate...Of course, I was so happy because my husband got his chocolate and handed it over to me (he's on this health diet thing again)... I had the whole thing down my throat before I reached the door to Gospel Doctrine class.

Laughed out loud reading the chocolate bar part. You killed that bar. Lol