House to impeach IRS head

Ironhold

I hope somebody is held accountable for the targeting of different political groups in the Internal Revenue Service.  The I.R.S. is one of the most powerful organizations in America (it is too powerful in my opinion).  It needs to be held accountable to Congress for it's abuse of power. 

Lois Lerner (a head member of the Internal Revenue Service) was found to have +-done illegal acts in targeting political groups and there was a lot of evidence for it.  They tried to hide all the e-mails that provided evidence of these actions but those ended up coming out.  But the Justice Department (under the Obama Administration) said there were going to be no charges files against Lois Lerner.  (Read about it here if you wish: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/10/23/justice-department-no-criminal-charges-for-ex-irs-official-lerner/ )

While I do hope those involved in those crimes are brought to justice, don't stop there.  It is high unlikely that any current politician in DC is innocent of major crimes in some form or another, and we need to clean it all out and start from scratch ( as far as politicians, not necessarily the constitution)

The House just drafted the paperwork.

Wonder if it'll actually go through, and if so what will happen to the agency.

"...if it'll actually go through,..." I'm curious. Could someone enlighten me what will have to happen to make it go through; the steps to actually get rid of this individual? I'm not an American, (just a conservative Canadian) and it seems like you have a very powerful, & dismissive president. 

"...if it'll actually go through,..." I'm curious. Could someone enlighten me what will have to happen to make it go through; the steps to actually get rid of this individual? I'm not an American, (just a conservative Canadian) and it seems like you have a very powerful, & dismissive president.

Things like this are handled in the legislature. It's a matter of getting enough members of the legislative bodies to vote for the guy's removal.

As far as Obama goes, he's shown an unfortunate willingness to try and antagonize his political opponents, so even if this guy does get removed Obama may try to push forward someone similar to be his replacement.

Things like this are handled in the legislature. It's a matter of getting enough members of the legislative bodies to vote for the guy's removal.

As far as Obama goes, he's shown an unfortunate willingness to try and antagonize his political opponents, so even if this guy does get removed Obama may try to push forward someone similar to be his replacement.

So not just a majority inThe House of Representatives but also in the Senate must vote to get rid of him? And if they actually do, can the President just say 'no'?

Edited by lonetree

Guest MormonGator

Not to sound like Frank Underwood, but come on. We all know nothing is going to come from this. 

I am so cynical when it comes to politics.  ;)

Edited by MormonGator

So not just a majority inThe House of Representatives but also in the Senate must vote to get rid of him? And if they actually do, can the President just say 'no'?

If the Legislature agrees on removal, he's gone.

However, IIRC it's the President who will be given the opportunity to select the guy's replacement.

The House passes a article of impreachment, and then refers it to the Senate.  If it passes the Senate, he simply clears out his office, and goes back to doing what he was doing before -- making alot of money and contributing to the Democrats.

The President would then nominate someone else and the Senate would have to confirm the nomination.  In the meantime, the President will appoint one of his pals to be a temporary replacement.

And meanwhile all of this will get entangled in presidential election politics, and has to be done BEFORE the election of a new president for it to any meaning at all.

And, yes, I agree with you.  It's all for show.

Edited by cdowis

I'm not an American, (just a conservative Canadian) and it seems like you have a very powerful, & dismissive president. 

You have a more realistic view of him than most Americans (if indeed "most" voted for him a second time).

Guest MormonGator

Sorry about recent elections in Canada. I love that country. 

Sorry about recent elections in Canada. I love that country. 

Thank you. I took it as definitely a triumph of image over substance; but also a playing of that old game of promising the moon...

Edit: I do worry about who is going to publicly stand up for Israel now though.

Edited by lonetree