Spirit of the law vs. letter of the law

JojoBag

I was talking with my darling about the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. My question was: Is it just as serious to break the spirit of the law as it is the letter of the law? For example, while the Church has no official position regarding the consumption of caffeinated soft drinks as violating the WoW, several church leaders have stated either directly or by implication that it violates the spirit of the WoW. Additionally, there are many articles on the Church web site that condemn drinking them, yet members persist in justifying their drinking by saying “there's no official position.”

I think breaking the spirit of the law goes back to being commanded in all things.

For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

(Doctrine and Covenants 58:26)

Guest LiterateParakeet

Oh, I've been thinking about starting a thead 9n this topic. I'm a spirit of the law person (but I enjoy Pepsi now and then). I don't have a lot of time now, but I'll come back later!

It has been my experience that these discussions tend to run into two serious issues.

The first issue is an attempt to justify not keeping the Letter of the Law by claiming the Spirit of the Law.  The Spirit of the Law should always contain the Letter of the Law.

The second issue is an attempt to convert the Spirit of the Law (which is highly personal) into the Letter of the Law (which is for everyone).  The Lord can do that.  The leaders of the Church can do that.  If they have not done it, then we should not attempt to do so.  We should simply live according to the truths the Lord has seen fit to give us for our personal betterment. And allow others to do the same

Edited by estradling75

I do not believe there is any difference between the two because keeping the spirit of the law is part of keeping the letter. If one fails to keep the spirit of the law, then they are not keeping the letter of the law because the letter of the law states that we must keep the spirit of the law.

I was talking with my darling about the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law. My question was: Is it just as serious to break the spirit of the law as it is the letter of the law? For example, while the Church has no official position regarding the consumption of caffeinated soft drinks as violating the WoW, several church leaders have stated either directly or by implication that it violates the spirit of the WoW. Additionally, there are many articles on the Church web site that condemn drinking them, yet members persist in justifying their drinking by saying “there's no official position.”

I think breaking the spirit of the law goes back to being commanded in all things.

For behold, it is not meet that I should command in all things; for he that is compelled in all things, the same is a slothful and not a wise servant; wherefore he receiveth no reward.

(Doctrine and Covenants 58:26)

First, let me make a distinction about the spirit of the law vs the letter of the law. The letter of the law contains well defined rules, commandments, and rituals. If we live the letter of then we must obey all the rules for if we fail to live one commandment we have broken the letter of the law. The spirit of the law is different. It looks at the intent of the letter and thus contains the spirit of what the letter points to.

So, regarding your question as to whether it is just as serious to break the spirit of the law as the letter of the law, I would conclude that it is more serious to break the spirit of the law than the letter of the law. In fact, I would go so far as to say that ultimately the spirit of the law is what matters. The letter of the law is just a school master to lead us to the spirit. 

As to the WoW example you bring up, the spirit of the law certainly does not mandate that we must avoid caffeine. In fact, stating that it does defines the letter of the law, not the spirit of it. 

On my mission Elder Richard G. Scott defined the spirit of the law, "The spirit of the law is living the letter of the law in the right spirit."  I have not come across a better definition.  An individual cannot, and never will, comprehend the spirit of the law unless they have lived the letter of the law to its fullest.  These are principles I have discovered (which still could be more) that govern the spirit of the law:

1) The Spirit of the law is a higher form of obedience, not a reason to disobey the letter.  If an individual assumes the spirit means to ignore the letter they are wrong.  Abraham obtained the blessings of the Fathers through honoring not only the letter but the spirit of the laws he obeyed.  The greatest of these laws is "Thou shalt love the Lord they God with all they heart, and with all they should, and with all thy mind."  There is the letter and there is the spirit of this law, and they compliment each other.  They are not at odds with each other. 

2) The Spirit of the law are, at times, Celestial laws which have not yet been made public (cannon/doctrine), but through personal study and person righteousness more knowledge has been given by the spirit pertaining to that law.

3) The Spirit of the law is not being compelled in all things, at least in scripture I am unable to confirm this as a truth.  The spirit doesn't compel, but invites (entices) us toward a higher level of obedience. The Doctrine and Covenants mentions "without compulsory means" and by definition of the spirit alone, it cannot have any compulsory means by which the children of God would be defined as "slothful and unwise stewards."  All of us who listen to the spirit will be more wise and industrious than those who do not (at least in elements pertaining to the salvation of humankind).

4) Nephi's example is often misquoted and applied pertaining to the spirit of the law.  A modern example of Nephi's experience (obviously not to the same extreme of "Kill Laban") would be President Monson's experience with a young man and fast offerings.  Shorter story, young man spends fast offering money at local store.  Bishop Monson is informed.  Bishop Monson's intention of meeting with the boy was to reprimand.  Bishop Monson upon entering the home recognizes a home in need.  Reprimand turns to compassion (an already known law -- charity) and food is ordered for a family in need.  The letter would demand punishment, the spirit (honoring letter of the law also) allowed Bishop Monson to experience the empathy necessary to bless.

5) The Spirit of the law is divinely interconnected, symbiotic so to speak, to the letter of the law. I honestly do not understand the overt statement "I am a spirit of the law follower, not the letter," and vice-versa. To deny one is to deny the other, or as The Folk Prophet mentioned, "If one fails to keep the spirit of the law, then they are not keeping the letter of the law because the letter of the law states that we must keep the spirit of the law."  I honor the letter because I know through honoring the letter of the law I will ultimately come to understand the spirit of the law, its higher form of obedience without the need to be compelled by way of commandment (the desire for a King to tell the Children of Israel what to do, was a show that they, in many aspects, rejected the spirit).

In answering your question, the breaking of the spirit of the law is just as serious as breaking the law, if not more.  It appears from scripture breaking the spirit of the law will bring about punishment sooner than breaking the letter. I have Lehi in mind.  If Lehi disobeyed the spirit, not leaving Jerusalem, he would have received the same end as other in Jerusalem when raided; however, by not honoring the spirit of the law at times will place a person in a position where they will possibly break the letter, and thus receive the consequences of breaking the letter.  

Example, a person may feel inspired to watch a movie they otherwise would have chosen not to.  They then interpret this as "permission" to break it at other times when permission wasn't received.  This then has the possibility of them breaking the letter, in the name of the spirit, when in actuality they are breaking both.  This then has the possibility of leading to more serious sins, because they broke not only the spirit, they broke the letter in the name of the spirit of the law.

Edited by Anddenex

I do not believe there is any difference between the two because keeping the spirit of the law is part of keeping the letter. If one fails to keep the spirit of the law, then they are not keeping the letter of the law because the letter of the law states that we must keep the spirit of the law.

There is confusion here between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law. See my above distinction. The letter of the law can only contain a small portion of the spirit of the law. The letter of the law may try to define how we must act, but it cannot define every point.

Now you may say that some statement like, "always do good" is the letter of the law but such a statement is meaningless to one who only lives the letter of the law for they do not even know what "good" is. 

2) The Spirit of the law are, at times, Celestial laws which have not yet been made public (cannon/doctrine), but through personal study and person righteousness more knowledge has been given by the spirit pertaining to that law.

First off, let me say that I very much appreciate yours and the other comments.  I have learned much. 

Based on what you've written, is it living the spirit of the law that separates those who attain the Celestial Kingdom from those who get something else?

Edited by JojoBag

How does on define or truly understand "the letter" of the law and "the spirit" of the law?

Using the WOW as an example, we have a couple of food allergies in my family, which puts me in contact with many in the local "natural foods" community. This means I come across some who would use "the spirit of the law" relating to the WOW to argue that all LDS should follow a strict paleo diet, because that is most in keeping with the spirit of that law. Or they will argue against all refined sugars or all GMO products, or argue for strictly organic diets. I have not found myself convinced that any of these represents some kind of "higher Word of Wisdom" or is otherwise more righteous or anything like that.

So, which is more righteous -- letter of the law or spirit of the law? I don't think I know. I think there is danger is rationalizing sin. I also think there is danger in extending commandments beyond what God has actually said.

Guest MormonGator

If you follow the letter of the law one hundred percent of the time, you'll become dogmatic, cruel and intolerant of anyone who disagrees. Remember Judge Hawthorne in The Crucible? A cold, self righteous man. He killed an innocent man (John Proctor. Yes, he killed him. He had the chance to stop it and it could be argued Hawthorne knew he was innocent). 

That's also wrong. But since it's the letter of the law, people ignore it. After all, it's what the law says. 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest MormonGator

If you follow the spirit of law one hundred percent of the time, you'll begin to think you have all the answers and can do whatever you please. 

Sorry for the duplicate posts. 

Edited by MormonGator

If you follow the letter of the law one hundred percent of the time, you'll become dogmatic, cruel and intolerant of anyone who disagrees. Remember Judge Hawthorne in the Crucible? A cold, self righteous man. That's also wrong.   

if you follow the spirit of law one hundred percent of the time, you'll begin to think you have all the answers and can do whatever you please.

IMO, this only happens to those who have the wrong attitude. Obeying the letter of the law 100% of the time is exactly what is asked of us, as in, "Be ye therefore perfect..." (despite our inability to accomplish it). If we heed Elder Scott, and do it in the right spirit, we will also be living the spirit of the law 100% of the time. Without both, "obedience" (which isn't true obedience) does us no lasting good:

Moroni 7:6 For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing.

Moroni 7:9 And likewise also is it counted evil unto a man, if he shall pray and not with real intent of heart; yea, and it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such.

Edited by zil

Guest MormonGator

IMO, this only happens to those who have the wrong attitude. Obeying the letter of the law 100% of the time is exactly what is asked of us, as in, "Be ye therefore perfect..." (despite our inability to accomplish it). If we heed Elder Scott, and do it in the right spirit, we will also be living the spirit of the law 100% of the time. Without both, "obedience" (which isn't true obedience) does us no lasting good:

Moroni 7:6 For behold, God hath said a man being evil cannot do that which is good; for if he offereth a gift, or prayeth unto God, except he shall do it with real intent it profiteth him nothing.

Moroni 7:9 And likewise also is it counted evil unto a man, if he shall pray and not with real intent of heart; yea, and it profiteth him nothing, for God receiveth none such.

Mercy and compassion are also important virtues. Remember the adulterer whom Christ forgave? According to the letter of the law at the time, she probably should have been put to death. 

Guest MormonGator

Don't get me wrong, I do think we should lean towards upholding the law, but there isn't a perfect answer on this one.  It's certainly not one or the other 100% of the time. 

Edited by MormonGator

Don't get me wrong, I do think we should lean towards upholding the law, but there isn't a perfect answer on this one.  It's certainly not one or the other 100% of the time. 

It's both, 100% of the time (because you can't truly have one without the other), but with the understanding that as fallen mortals, we will fall short of 100% in varying degrees, which is why we have the Atonement and a Savior, so that we can recover from our falls, and try again, and again, and again, until the perfect day (which will come long after mortality).

Guest MormonGator

It's both, 100% of the time (because you can't truly have one without the other), but with the understanding that as fallen mortals, we will fall short of 100% in varying degrees, which is why we have the Atonement and a Savior, so that we can recover from our falls, and try again, and again, and again, until the perfect day (which will come long after mortality).

Not sure about that. How can it be both 100% of the time? 

Not sure about that. How can it be both 100% of the time? 

Because they don't conflict with each other - indeed, cannot.  If you understand the spirit of the law - the reason for which it was given, the things it is intended to teach you, and how you can follow it more fully as you grow line upon line - then you obey the letter, you do so willingly, happily, desiring to do that growing, and as you grow, you see more ways in which you can live the law.

E.g. Instead of the Word of Wisdom being about consuming these substances, and not consuming those substances, it becomes about striving to be healthy physically and spiritually, about recognizing the gifts of God which enable these things, about not wasting or abusing those gifts, about recognizing the connection between obedience in a seemingly physical command, and spiritual benefits and blessings.  When you approach the law in that spirit, you obey it to the letter, and the spirit of that law.

Guest MormonGator

Because they don't conflict with each other - indeed, cannot.  If you understand the spirit of the law - the reason for which it was given, the things it is intended to teach you, and how you can follow it more fully as you grow line upon line - then you obey the letter, you do so willingly, happily, desiring to do that growing, and as you grow, you see more ways in which you can live the law.

E.g. Instead of the Word of Wisdom being about consuming these substances, and not consuming those substances, it becomes about striving to be healthy physically and spiritually, about recognizing the gifts of God which enable these things, about not wasting or abusing those gifts, about recognizing the connection between obedience in a seemingly physical command, and spiritual benefits and blessings.  When you approach the law in that spirit, you obey it to the letter, and the spirit of that law.

Thanks for explaining.  :)

Since the WoW is so misinterpreted I'm not sure it's the best example though.   

IMO, the Savior using parables was an act of pure mercy.  Each person understood as much as they both chose to understand, and were capable of understanding.

In many (perhaps all) requirements of the gospel, the same principle applies: each of us have our own ability, experience, and understanding of the WoW (beyond the clearly obvious).  Each of us has different abilities (at present) to obey it, and may struggle with different parts of it.  As we make sincere effort to obey, our ability and understanding will increase.

When it comes to other people, we set examples, we teach the doctrine, and we leave the implementation to the individual (unless our stewardship requires something else).

Since the WoW is so misinterpreted I'm not sure it's the best example though.   

I avoid caffeine because it seriously messes up my sleep, but I do drink a cola occasionally just because.  I used the WoW as an example because I began researching it and came up with a number of quotes from GA's that condemn the practice.  That got me thinking about the spirit of the law vs. the letter of the law and I began talking it over with my wife.  I couldn't think of any other example to use.

This discussion has really opened my eyes. 

First off, let me say that I very much appreciate yours and the other comments.  I have learned much. 

Based on what you've written, is it living the spirit of the law that separates those who attain the Celestial Kingdom from those who get something else?

Great question, and my response follows the thought process given in our Pearl of Great Price Abraham 1: 2, and Moses 6:60.

Abraham opens with his desire to be a follower of righteousness, and to be one who obtained great knowledge.  A cyclic pattern of knowledge and then obedience to the knowledge received (letter and spirit).  

Moses specifies this, "For by the water ye keep the commandments; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified." The letter of this verse is self-explanatory; however, the spirit of this verse is enlightening!  I believe, I have finally come to a full understanding of not only the letter of this verse, but the spirit of this verse.  This verse also follows the cyclic pattern given in Abraham 1: 2.  

To some degree, every LDS member is following the letter and the spirit of laws; thus, I don't see how one can follow the letter without desiring to live the spirit of the law also.  Obedience to the letter ultimately leads toward obedience to the spirit.  Living the spirit of the law (in connection with its letter) also leads members, in this life, toward their calling and election made sure.  

To obtain the Celestial kingdom, we will have had to obeyed the letter of laws, and if we are truly living the letter than we will be actively seeking the spirit of the law which will ultimately draw of closer to God -- a higher obedience, a more sure word of prophecy, and the second comforter.  Living both is what separates me from Alma who was translated.  I think that best sums up the answer.

Mercy and compassion are also important virtues. Remember the adulterer whom Christ forgave? According to the letter of the law at the time, she probably should have been put to death. 

An irony of scriptures, because Christ came to fulfill the law (letter), thus a returning to what it was originally -- go thy way and sin no more.