Dungeons & Dragons - discussion, et cetra

Ironhold

AD&D is the rule set I have.  I don't have the versions you are talking about so here is what I want skillwise.

I want to have the thief skills of move silent, hide in shadows, climb walls and find remove traps.

Stuff I have:

Long Sword

Dagger

Studded Leather

Shield

50' rope

grappling hook

backpack

coin pouch

leather gloves

boots

cloak

water skin

That should be enough to play.

background:  former soldier, worked as a scout.

I'll play, as will my husband Mr. Jane Doe (not to be confused with John Doe whom sometimes posts here).

We're going to be a married elvish couple, whom wander the country-side.  He's a super laid back bard whom brings home the bacon via singing at taverns, when I'm a wizard spend all the money researching magic.   

My wizard, chaotic good.

Str: 10

Dex: 16

Con:16

Int: 18

Wis: 12

Char: 12

I have a quarter staff, dagger, clothes, 50' rope, spell book, quill and paper, backpack, coin pouch, water skin, cloak, boots

Mr Jane Doe's bard, chaotic good.

Str: 10

Dex: 15

Con: 10

Int: 10

Wis: 18 

Char: 18

He has flute, lute, short bow, 20 arrows, winter blanket, herb pouch, water skin, metal pot, boots, clothes, basic leather armor.  

Sound good?  (I totally don't remember 3e, been playing 5 too long).

Okay, I'm a wandering hoer (the world's third-oldest profession). My stats are as follows:

Str: 23

IQ: 14

$$: 2

Stu: 37

Mat: π

Bad judgment: -8

Pants: 1

I am carrying a burlap sack that contains the following:

• 1 turnip
  • 5 roaches
  • Half-eaten rutabaga
  • Vomit-drenched shirt (3 days old) (Please note that it is my shirt, but not my vomit)
  • Shoes (don't want to wear them out!)

I am barefoot and bare-chested. I am small-framed, with a hollow chest and patches of hair on my back. My torso is beet-red and covered with moles. Yet unaccountably, my Charisma is 97.

I am being followed by a yellow dog. By the looks of things, he is half-starved and stays near me in hopes that I might drop dead and give him a meal. I keep him around for the same reason.

Charisma (my wife) is nowhere to be seen.

I'll play, as will my husband Mr. Jane Doe (not to be confused with John Doe whom sometimes posts here).

We're going to be a married elvish couple, whom wander the country-side.  He's a super laid back bard whom brings home the bacon via singing at taverns, when I'm a wizard spend all the money researching magic.   

My wizard, chaotic good.

Str: 10

Dex: 16

Con:16

Int: 18

Wis: 12

Char: 12

I have a quarter staff, dagger, clothes, 50' rope, spell book, quill and paper, backpack, coin pouch, water skin, cloak, boots

Mr Jane Doe's bard, chaotic good.

Str: 10

Dex: 15

Con: 10

Int: 10

Wis: 18 

Char: 18

He has flute, lute, short bow, 20 arrows, winter blanket, herb pouch, water skin, metal pot, boots, clothes, basic leather armor.  

Sound good?  (I totally don't remember 3e, been playing 5 too long).

Some character names might help, thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

My personal story is titled "The Search for Charisma". The last time I saw my wife, she insisted that she was too good for me, that she could do much better, and that she was leaving me. Then she threw her dentures at me, put on her wooden leg, grabbed her ear trumpet and stormed out. I have made it my life's quest to find her and woo her back.

HAHAHA!!!!   Sooooo.... I have played only a few times when I was about 16 years old. I am in no way an expert, but Vort, you can't be serious right? The only way I could laugh any louder is if your character is serious. If it IS serious, I apologize, no offense intended. 

14 minutes ago, mirkwood said:

We played this past weekend.  My players attacked a mountain giant encampment.  Did you know mountain giants do 4d10+10 damage.  My players know that now...

Back in high school I was in a party wherein a drow ranger tried to bluff a group of fire giants into handing over all of their ale. 

Let's just say that it didn't end well.

Me: "As the humanoid figure atop the castle finishes shouting its threats at you, it transforms into a massive black dragon and takes to the skies."

Player 1: "I hit it with Ray of Enfeeblement so that it can't take off."

Player 2: "He just said that it was already in the air."

Me: "OK everyone. Roll a dex check to avoid being landed on by a dragon." [starts rolling a blue lightning]

On 2/3/2016 at 1:29 PM, EarlJibbs said:

HAHAHA!!!!   Sooooo.... I have played only a few times when I was about 16 years old. I am in no way an expert, but Vort, you can't be serious right? The only way I could laugh any louder is if your character is serious. If it IS serious, I apologize, no offense intended. 

Check out my stats, Earl. You don't get much realer than Mole Boy.

On 1/7/2016 at 8:09 PM, Ironhold said:

So as not to derail a certain other thread, I'm starting this new thread here. 

The purpose of this thread will be to discuss all things relating to Dungeons & Dragons and all other tabletop role-playing games so far as allowed by the rules of conduct. I'm starting this thread both for convenience of others *and* so that the general public can see what actual games are like. 

That being said, let's have a go. 

< battletecher. You take a walking tank frame between 10- 100 tons and slap an engine, armor, critical systems, weapons and other equipment on it. these are then used to achieve a military victory of some sort (the most common is elimination of the opposing forces). However you are not limited to these, you can use other vehicles and infantry platoons as well depending on the scenario. (it's possible to even have space actions going on simultaneously but that makes for a real complex and loooong game)

each turn = 10 seconds of real time and each hex = 30 meters in length and width. you roll for player order, then move, then do physical attacks, then do ranged attacks, then misc actions. What happens during a round doesn't apply until after all players have done their turn, which makes going last the most desirable out of player order.

On 2/11/2016 at 1:20 PM, Vort said:

Check out my stats, Earl. You don't get much realer than Mole Boy.

That's what I am talking about. It's hilarious. This is what real people stats would look like. Haha!

I wonder what our real stats would sound like. Mine would say something like, 6'3 and intimidating with a beard but is not useful in any type of fight. 

13 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

< battletecher. You take a walking tank frame between 10- 100 tons and slap an engine, armor, critical systems, weapons and other equipment on it. these are then used to achieve a military victory of some sort (the most common is elimination of the opposing forces). However you are not limited to these, you can use other vehicles and infantry platoons as well depending on the scenario. (it's possible to even have space actions going on simultaneously but that makes for a real complex and loooong game)

each turn = 10 seconds of real time and each hex = 30 meters in length and width. you roll for player order, then move, then do physical attacks, then do ranged attacks, then misc actions. What happens during a round doesn't apply until after all players have done their turn, which makes going last the most desirable out of player order.

I'm on Mordel.net as "Kraken" and http://community.battletechgame.com/forums as "Ironhold". 

BTW - not many people know this, but Catalyst Game Labs CEO Randall Bills is LDS. 

On 2/13/2016 at 10:14 PM, Ironhold said:

I'm on Mordel.net as "Kraken" and http://community.battletechgame.com/forums as "Ironhold". 

BTW - not many people know this, but Catalyst Game Labs CEO Randall Bills is LDS. 

Sweet i'll have to check it out :D

and cool on that tidbit :).

17 minutes ago, Blackmarch said:

Sweet i'll have to check it out :D

and cool on that tidbit :).

Back when FASA was still around, Bills was asked to write one of the last official novels. 

The author bio mentioned where he served his mission. 

edit - one of the Mechwarrior manuals or companion manuals *does* note that the church still exists at least as late as the 3060s; I haven't kept up with the game's official timeline because of the whole Dark Age nonsense, so I don't know what's gone on from there. 

Edited by Ironhold