Lottery tickets/raffles/draws

Sunday21

Maybe not.  But the homeless man at the soup kitchen I volunteer at doesn't care about that. He also doesn't care about my motives either. He just wants a warm meal. 

Sure. But that point doesn't have anything to do with whether we should be doing things for the right reasons or not. This is plainly and clearly taught by the Savior himself repeatedly. As in the repetition of the idea in the Sermon on the mount. Don't give alms to be seen of men. Don't pray to be seen of men. Etc. Then you have your reward. Do so in private and the Lord will reward you openly.

The idea that doing good to our fellow man is only for the sake of our fellow man is a major fallacy.

Build a fire for someone and you will warm them for a day.  Light someone on fire and you will keep them warm for the rest of their life.

I find it interesting that anciently; where and how someone "invested" their money was considered a form of worship.  Thus buying a lottery ticket was a form of Devil or Satanic worship and was part of and among the condemned worship of Baal.  We may remember the sins of Sodom but soon forget that the sins of Gomorrah included usury of which gambling (lotteries) is a type of or kind of usury and thought to be among the deadly sins.

Edited by Traveler

We may remember the sins of Sodom but soon forget that the sins of Gomorrah included usury

CFR.

I just searched the LDS scriptures and found no list of Gomorrah's sins (distinct from Sodom's). Have any other prophets spoken about this?

Lehi

Edited by LeSellers

I find it interesting that anciently; where and how someone "invested" their money was considered a form of worship.  Thus buying a lottery ticket was a form of Devil or Satanic worship and was part of and among the condemned worship of Baal.  We may remember the sins of Sodom but soon forget that the sins of Gomorrah included usury of which gambling (lotteries) is a type of or kind of usury and thought to be among the deadly sins.

I'll assume that this statement is correct however I doubt it.

When the lottery gets big I buy a ticket. I'll take my chances with the Lord.

Traveler,

I believe you're mixing up gold with money.  And, yes, there is a difference.  The words "adorn" or "adore" come from the root word which means gold.  They meant to offer or decorate with gold.

In ancient times the common person would never be able to carry around any gold with them.  A single troy ounce was more than a year's wages, maybe two.  So gold was reserved for royalty and gods.  It was a rare merchant who could save enough gold to be picky about what to do with it.  Those who were moderately wealthy would generally use gold for payment of taxes to government/royalty or tithes/offerings to gods.

Other types of money (diluted gold or silver for example) were used in many different ventures and as a medium of exchange for most common circumstances -- including gambling.

Edited by Guest