Space Marines invade AwesomeCon

unixknight

1 hour ago, unixknight said:

Heh yeah.  Each of those suits is about 200 man hours of work.

200 man hours = 50 woman hours or =  5 Relief Society Enrichment night hours

About how much height did you artificially add to yourself? Extra 5-6 inches?
Now that the Con is done, what is the long term future of the suit? Put it on a mannequin in the basement? 

1 minute ago, NeedleinA said:

200 man hours = 50 woman hours or =  5 Relief Society Enrichment night hours

About how much height did you artificially add to yourself? Extra 5-6 inches?
Now that the Con is done, what is the long term future of the suit? Put it on a mannequin in the basement? 

The stilts I built add about 14 inches.  I'm well over 7' tall in the suit, which is crazy when you meet people tall enough to almost look you in the eye in their normal shoes.

I'll wear it to the occasional con or maybe church Halloween event.  It's physically exhausting to wear so I won't do it often. 

Waaaay cool Unix.  Like, incredibly cool.

I did a quad-suit one year, creeped many people out.  I got an ice vest to keep me happy indoors without boiling myself into hyperthermic dehydration.  

These days I just put on a wig and a brony shirt and when someone notices, haughtilly demand to know if they are questioning my masculinity

DaddyBrony2015YWActivity.png

@NeuroTypical Haha awesome.  Way to own it!

An ice vest, eh?  Hmm....  I installed two computer case fans into the packpack and cut an opening into the chest plate for ventilation.  It worked well enough to keep me from dropping from heat exhaustion, but it was far from comfortable.  Maybe I ought to try your approach... 

I didn't wear the helmet at all at the convention because I didn't have time to install a fan into it to prevent fogging up the eye lenses...

56 minutes ago, unixknight said:

Is it too nerdy 

19 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

These days I just put on a wig

Is it too nerdy? My boys and I have debated too nerdy VS. too geeky... difference??
As far as that wig NT, where is @NightSG with his Pony Brain Bleach when you need him ;)

PG-13 video

I like what adam savage did forvhis space suit, he rigged a system that pumped cooled water thru tubing luced through a shirt, which was cycled thru a backpack unit that used icevto cool the water. It lasted him about 90 minutes

• 1 month later...

I find it interesting that the costume you have selected utilizes the primary symbol of the order of Knights of Saint John – a knightly order that has its roots in the Crusades alongside of the Knights Templar.   This order later became the Knights Malta – the symbol is now known as the Maltase Cross.  It would be interesting to know if the creator of our character knew what they were doing and intended to utilize this symbolism of an ancient warrior class that still exists today – though mostly in secret.  I know of no military organization currently openly displaying this warrior symbol.  As near as I have been able to determine – the battles currently being fought by the Knights of Malta are done as lawyers in the courts of law.  The symbols for the other knights were not obvious to me.

Is there a reason you are drawn to this symbolism or is it just the characters themselves?

The Traveler

I just talked to a friend who told me that the last time he went to comic con he met a woman in cosplay costume who makes over $100,000 a year attending cons and taking pictures and signing autographs... They pay you for that stuff???  Yes, I told my friend he shouldn't believe anything he hears in cons...

1 hour ago, anatess2 said:

I just talked to a friend who told me that the last time he went to comic con he met a woman in cosplay costume who makes over $100,000 a year attending cons and taking pictures and signing autographs... They pay you for that stuff???  Yes, I told my friend he shouldn't believe anything he hears in cons...

Yeah, no.  People don't make $100k/yr going to conventions.  I mean, Captain Kirk can pull in maybe $35k for a weekend for the big ones.  Apparently Richard Dean Anderson, Hamil, or Fillon can make more, but don't tell Kirk or he cries.   Most actors from the shows will be $1.5k-$10k per weekend.  

Cute chicks in revealing attire won't pull down much posing for pictures that she can't stop people from taking anyway.

Edited by NeuroTypical

On 7/28/2016 at 4:43 PM, Traveler said:

I find it interesting that the costume you have selected utilizes the primary symbol of the order of Knights of Saint John – a knightly order that has its roots in the Crusades alongside of the Knights Templar.   This order later became the Knights Malta – the symbol is now known as the Maltase Cross.  It would be interesting to know if the creator of our character knew what they were doing and intended to utilize this symbolism of an ancient warrior class that still exists today – though mostly in secret.  I know of no military organization currently openly displaying this warrior symbol.  As near as I have been able to determine – the battles currently being fought by the Knights of Malta are done as lawyers in the courts of law.  The symbols for the other knights were not obvious to me.

Is there a reason you are drawn to this symbolism or is it just the characters themselves?

The Traveler

We aren't knights. 

A bit of backstory:

We're Imperial Space Marines from a game called Warhammer 40,000.  It's set in the distant future at a time when mankind has spread across a galaxy engulfed in war.  The Space Marines are divided into Chapters, usually 1,000 marines strong.  My buddy on the right in blue is a member of the Crimson Fists, whose chapter is closely aligned with mine.  You can't really see it but his right kneepad has the same Maltese Cross pattern as my shoulder pauldrons, and my left gauntlet is red, which is a solidarity thing.  Next to him is his wife, who is representing the Space Wolves Chapter.  Imagine a viking themed Chapter.  I am representing the Black Templars Chapter, which is known for eternally crusading around the galaxy smiting the enemies of the Emperor, and ignores the 1,000 marine restriction on chapter size.  (The Space Wolves do that too but it's estimated that there are more Black Templars than Space Wolves.)

I knew the symbol was a Maltese Cross as opposed to the more traditional, simpler cross actually worn by Templars, but given that it's forty millennia in the future, some historical inaccuracy is forgivable.  I chose that Chapter because it's the only official Space Marine Chapter whose insignia is a direct symbol for Jesus Christ.  I also play that Chapter in the game.  Here's a pic of some of my marines:

d9853ed0-f555-4a7c-b7a6-a3de81f7e4c7?t=1

I've actually got a little over 100 of these guys, and yes... I painted them all.  They stand about 30mm high.

7 hours ago, anatess2 said:

I think the people who make money doing it often earn it by winning costume contests.  In a lot of conventions there are two separate divisions, one for professionals and one for amateurs.