It begins. Girls Aren't Safe In Target's Fitting Rooms

unixknight

4 minutes ago, LeSellers said:

C'mon, it's not what you think.

This boy-turned-girl was not just transgendered, she is also lesbian.

If I were a betting man, I'd wager a week's pay against a jelly doughnut that apologists will use EXACTLY that reason, only they won't be joking.

Just now, unixknight said:

So this happened.

Who knew something like this would happen?

Oh... wait... plenty of people did.  And when they spoke out, were told to shut up and stop being transphobic or whatever the current label is.

this sort of thing is not new, and has become much more prevalent with the advent of cheap microcameras, it just not often people are caught. As there are more people who identify as homosexual than transgendered, i'd be more worried about voyeurism along those lines.

Altho i wonder what the difference in punishment is between voyeurism and being in a wrong bathroom (without good reason) is.

Edited by Blackmarch

26 minutes ago, tesuji said:

Do you ever wish we could somehow discover a new planet next door, and that all the decent people could just move there, and all the idiots could stay behind on this world?

My only worry is that I wouldn't qualify for the new world :D

That sounds an awful lot like the plan of happiness with the Celestial group being separated from the Telestial and Terrestrial. You and God are on to something here I think. ;)

That's added incentive to not end up in the wrong place.

34 minutes ago, SpiritDragon said:

That sounds an awful lot like the plan of happiness with the Celestial group being separated from the Telestial and Terrestrial. You and God are on to something here I think. ;)

That's added incentive to not end up in the wrong place.

Yeah, I always ask myself, what kind of people do I want to be with? Celestial people are nicest to be around, I have to assume

7 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

this sort of thing is not new, and has become much more prevalent with the advent of cheap microcameras, it just not often people are caught. As there are more people who identify as homosexual than transgendered, i'd be more worried about voyeurism along those lines.

Makes sense, though at least in the case of voyeurism in a homosexual context, the victim and the voyeur would be on a more even footing, in terms of the ability to defend one's self.  I wouldn't flatter myself into thinking that some gay man would even want to take pics of me, but at least if he did I wouldn't be afraid of a physical confrontation.  If I were physically smaller and perhaps less strong than the person with the camera, I'd fear for my safety as well as my privacy.

Frankly, I'm grateful that in this case there was no physical assault at least.  That's the one I'm dreading the most.

Know what else rubs me all wrong about this case?  The difficulty in finding news about it.  None of the major carriers even bothered reporting it as far as I can tell.

(Try and contain your surprise.)

9 hours ago, Blackmarch said:

Altho i wonder what the difference in punishment is between voyeurism and being in a wrong bathroom (without good reason) is.

I vaguely remember hearing, in law school, that in the vast majority of cases there aren't specific state laws or local ordinances decreeing a criminal punishment for using the wrong bathroom.  Where there's no such statute/ordinance, I imagine that criminally the most you could hit them with would be a plain-vanilla trespassing charge, since they're at a location where the facility's owner clearly doesn't intend for them to be. 

That, I think, is part of the brouhaha about the Charlotte city ordinance--as I recall, Charlotte was trying to tell private property owners that they couldn't make that sort of distinction on their own property; and that's one of the things that the new North Carolina statute was trying to address.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

On 7/20/2016 at 5:24 PM, unixknight said:

So this happened.

Who knew something like this would happen?

Oh... wait... plenty of people did.  And when they spoke out, were told to shut up and stop being transphobic or whatever the current label is.

It's actually worse than what I heard predicted. One side would say, "You do realize creepy creeps will take advantage of this, don't you." The other side replied, "Why would you assume transgendered people are creepy creeps!?". "I didn't. The law is made to accommodate transgendered people, but it also accommodates creepy creeps."

And now, instead of being just any creepy creep, the strawman has come to life!

On 7/21/2016 at 8:08 AM, tesuji said:

Do you ever wish we could somehow discover a new planet next door, and that all the decent people could just move there, and all the idiots could stay behind on this world?

My only worry is that I wouldn't qualify for the new world :D

the reprieve would only be for a moment.