Church asks court to void subpoena for President Monson

pam

SALT LAKE CITY — The LDS Church has asked the U.S. District Court to quash a requested subpoena of its top leader, President Thomas S. Monson, by attorneys for two Navajo siblings who sued the church in March.

The church's motion was filed Thursday. It calls the issuance of the subpoena, which would require President Monson to testify in the civil case, "improper."

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=40769723&nid=148

It really makes no sense to pull him into another state so he can give a deposition saying he was not involved and really has no information to provide.  Why would they do that?  Oh, yeah -- "tactical maneuver...to create leverage in the litigation".  What are they hoping to leverage?

6 hours ago, Carborendum said:

It really makes no sense to pull him into another state so he can give a deposition saying he was not involved and really has no information to provide.  Why would they do that?  Oh, yeah -- "tactical maneuver...to create leverage in the litigation".  What are they hoping to leverage?

I'm betting they were hoping to elicit a semi-official statement as to President Monson's medical condition/purported inability to testify.

Guest MormonGator
On July 24, 2016 at 0:40 PM, Just_A_Guy said:

Getting to use the word "quash" in ordinary conversation on a regular basis, is one of the best things about being a lawyer.

A lawyer? I thought you just read one too many bad John Grisham books.

(totally playing Jag!)  

6 hours ago, Just_A_Guy said:

I'm betting they were hoping to elicit a semi-official statement as to President Monson's medical condition/purported inability to testify.

To what end?  To "expose" his weakened physical condition?  Yeah, we already know about it.  And we pray for him because of it.  

What? We're supposed to denounce him as a prophet because he's old and has failing health?  Heck, that just makes us more concerned and pray for him more.

What are they thinking?  You know what?  Whatever.

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, An Investigator said:

They are trying to get it in the jurisdiction of one state as In others the time to report a crime will have expired, according to what I've read on fb.  This makes me really annoyed ?

Since you're new to the faith, I guess you should be warned.  Be prepared to roll your eyes a LOT in the future.  Sometimes because of what people say about us.  Sometimes because of how people behave toward us.

The rest of the world decides to take offense or issue lawsuits.  As Mormons, we generally roll our eyes and/or shake our heads and say "whatever".  Or, as my BIL does "My give up!"

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Since you're new to the faith, I guess you should be warned.  Be prepared to roll your eyes a LOT in the future.  Sometimes because of what people say about us.  Sometimes because of how people behave toward us.

The rest of the world decides to take offense or issue lawsuits.  As Mormons, we generally roll our eyes and/or shake our heads and say "whatever".  Or, as my BIL does "My give up!"

Haha yeah I had noticed.. Ive gone from being a loveable Catholic to a religious nut job to some.   My best friend actually asked me if Im allowed to touch tea bags or would I have to tell the Bishop if I touched one ?

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

Haha yeah I had noticed.. Ive gone from being a loveable Catholic to a religious nut job to some.   My best friend actually asked me if Im allowed to touch tea bags or would I have to tell the Bishop if I touched one ?

You and I could talk for hours my friend. I had friends do some crazy stuff when they found out I converted from Catholic to LDS. 

7 minutes ago, An Investigator said:

What a wonderful opportunity, though, to share the truth.  I don't necessarily mean the gospel, ala missionary work, I just mean the truth about what we really believe and how we really behave (i.e. that we're just normal people, and the nutty stuff is mostly exaggeration or misunderstanding).  Just having people know a normal, every-day Mormon goes a long way toward good will and good relations. :)

Guest MormonGator
3 minutes ago, zil said:

What a wonderful opportunity, though, to share the truth.  I don't necessarily mean the gospel, ala missionary work, I just mean the truth about what we really believe and how we really behave (i.e. that we're just normal people, and the nutty stuff is mostly exaggeration or misunderstanding).  Just having people know a normal, every-day Mormon goes a long way toward good will and good relations. :)

Amen! 

8 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Speaking about "real Mormons", check this out.

http://lds.net/blog/buzz/18-reasons-mormons-arent-that-great/

Hint: this is a perfect example of what Needle was talking about with titles not matching the article.

What's that green thing with Berries on top? It looks like a fancy soap. 

On 7/28/2016 at 0:48 AM, An Investigator said:

It's green jello with carrots in it. :)  A favorite joke among Mormons.  

10 hours ago, An Investigator said:

Ummm sounds delicious 

I actually really like it.  Also with cottage cheese added to it and pineapple. :)

11 hours ago, pam said:
On 7/28/2016 at 0:48 AM, An Investigator said:

It's green jello with carrots in it. :)  A favorite joke among Mormons.

I always thought of it as a joke that was never actually served until I had some at my grandpa's funeral a few years ago.

2 minutes ago, SilentOne said:

I always thought of it as a joke that was never actually served until I had some at my grandpa's funeral a few years ago.

Did you have funeral potatoes too?