Sleep? What's that?

NeuroTypical

2 hours ago, askandanswer said:

As a free service to the members of my ward, I teach effective sleep skills by examples during most sacrament meetings. Feel free to come, watch and learn. :) 

As a teenager my solution to my sleep troubles was to listen to General Conference when I was trying to fall asleep.It worked amazingly well for a month or two and then it started to backfire as I began to find myself staying awake to hear the rest of the talks that I'd been falling asleep during. I guess hearing the start but never the end of a story or lesson starts to lead to a natural curiosity to find out the rest.

On 17/09/2016 at 8:58 AM, Sunday21 said:

...I listened to a radio show on insomnia on the Canadian network, CBC. We are famous for completely humourless information shows in which they find the county's best expert on a subject and grill this person merciless for hours! Tomorrow a salute to the root vegetable! This is my country....

That's not your country, that's just the CBC; especially CBC Radio. :)

M.

Well, the sleep study was fun.  They stuck all that stuff on me and told me to go to sleep.  Then they showed up at 1am because one of the wires had fallen off my leg.  Then they showed up at 5:15AM and kicked me out.  So I went home and went to bed, and 15 minutes later my alarm went off.  So I went to work. 

I just checked - yes, I'm wearing pants.  (No, it hadn't occurred to me to check before.)

IMG_1643[1].JPG

Edited by NeuroTypical

• 2 weeks later...

Yay (I guess)!  They found sleep apnea!  Now I get to go back to the sleep center for another night.  This time, they'll install a CPAP and adjust it through the night.

Encouraged to have something actually diagnosed, even more encouraged to hear there are effective treatments.  This whole walking through half my day in a fog stuff, is getting pretty old.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2016 at 7:58 AM, Carborendum said:

Have you had your thyroid levels checked?  If your levels are near the "low end of normal", then you are actually below normal.  There is a story behind that... if you're interested.

Also, people think that because caffeine has such a short half-life in the body that after a day or two, you're completely done.  Not quite true.  Caffeine imposes a lingering effect even after it's completely out of your system.  There's a story behind that too... if you're interested.

And I'll thank you to try your crazy 'sleep enhancing' experiments on yourself first next time. Three days with no sleep is four days to many.

• 1 month later...

Wow - after 4 months of studies and waiting, I now have a CPAP for my apnea.

Immediate results - my wife says she hasn't heard a single snore from me.  I've gone from 4, maybe 6 hours of sleep to 5 maybe 7 hours.  Just gotta be hooked up to this hannibal lechter-looking face mask thing.  It's a good tradeoff.

You got a much bigger bed to sleep in during the test than I had. I was so afraid of rolling off the bed. I am a side sleeper and a mouth breather. Yep I snored. Hubby's third wife sawed oak logs - he says my snores were dainty snores. I also throw my arms up over my head - so all night stands, etc., have to be away from the bed.

So I have been on my machine for almost a year now (I think). Every two months I take my machine to church, plug it in so the data can be sent into cyber space. Then within a week I get a new mask and two filters. At the 6th month mark I got new head gear, mask, heated tube, & 4 filters. My home is in a dead spot and the machine can't send out the data. Too bad it is a Version modem rather than AT&T. Only AT&T works up here. Yeah for AT&T!!!

Hubby has had his Cpap for 4 months longer and he doesn't get any new stuff. Unfortunately, his is a medium size and my is small - other wise I would have shared with him. We are trying to get his mask, hose, head gear through CIGNA's networked provider.

One thing NT ~ clean the water dish out with a mild dish detergent every third day. Have your therapist show you how to remove the end pieces of your hose and wash the hose once a month in mild dish detergent, rinse thoroughly and let air dry. ALWAYS use distilled water. When I visited my brother, I of course took my machine. His house was so filthy, that I ended up with critters growing in the tubing and water dish. Even though I dumped it out and washed just the water holder. Thankfully I had three extra filters and changed that out. Then I washed my container and the hose in really hot, soapy, dawn detergent water. Hubby had me rinse with vinegar water, then plain water. No more wiggly critters. 

One other thing - being a man this may not apply, but don't put facial cream, moisturizer or even after shave lotion on and then go to bed. That stuff will make your mask stretch out and not give an air tight seal.

I am averaging 6 to 8 hours of sleep a night. I also use the machine when I take naps. I set my alarm for 2 hour naps and with the machine I go into REM! Never did that before. Well, not since I was 6 years old.

I haven't really been gone, really. Just lurking. My left wrist has De Quervain's tenosynovitis. The Dr prescribed Flector patches. Works somewhat on the pain, but it makes my skin hurt clear from fingertips to shoulder. Been wearing a wrist/thumb brace which is near impossible to type with. Hubby can type as fast with the forefinger of one hand as I can with two hands. BUT it is way stress full for me to try to type with just my two forefingers, so I don't respond to many posts.

Got a new brace that isn't thick and super restrictive of the majority of my left fingers.

We shall see if typing with it doesn't also cause more pain.