I want to come back

The New Guy

7 minutes ago, The New Guy said:

Thanks for your encouragement and for taking the time to reply.

I second all the advice to just show up tomorrow at your local meetinghouse!  Don't worry about how you will be received - if the Mormons at your local meetinghouse are any kind of good Mormons at all, they are going to love you!

As a church, our goal is to make good men even better, and we are happy when people take each positive step - showing up to church that first time, taking that first calling, taking the sacrament, getting baptized, going to the temple, and eventually returning to live with God... we are all at various points on this path, and we have to stick together and encourage one another!

In any event, welcome back!  

19 hours ago, The New Guy said:

I am a new convert who stopped attending church a while ago. I have to confess that I have been attending a different church but I want to come back to the LDS church. I'm a little nervous as to how I will be received. Also I wonder if I should I take part in the sacrament?

Probably ask the bishop about the sacrament part. People will most likely be welcoming if anything. Now maybe if you are covered in tattoos and piercings everywhere you might get a few odd stares at you.

And, welcome back, so ya just show up :)

Like others, I think there is a good chance that you will receive a warm welcome. However, you can increase the chances by being warm and welcoming yourself. If you are happy and excited to see them, they will be happy and excited to see you.

As for taking the sacrament, I will leave that between you and Heaven;y Father. Ask him whether you should or shouldn't., and trust in and be okay with the answer either way. It is not the end of the world if you don't partake, and it is good, if you do.

Thanks, -Wade Englund-

Yes.  Definitely just show up.  I doubt there will be a negative experience from it.  God bless you for wanting to return. However, I am a super curious person. . . Why did you previously decide to stop going?

Thanks to everyone who has taken the time to reply.

I went to Sacrament Meeting yesterday and it was definitely a positive experience. The two people that I saw who knew me from before went out of there way to welcome me and came and sat with me. Very welcoming.

It is hard to pinpoint why I stopped going in the first place. I guess I just got a little overwhelmed with things. I got a calling before I felt ready or even knew really what a calling is. No one talked to me about it, it was just sort of sprung on me and it was assumed that I was OK with that.

1 hour ago, The New Guy said:

I went to Sacrament Meeting yesterday and it was definitely a positive experience. The two people that I saw who knew me from before went out of there way to welcome me and came and sat with me. Very welcoming.

It is hard to pinpoint why I stopped going in the first place. I guess I just got a little overwhelmed with things. I got a calling before I felt ready or even knew really what a calling is. No one talked to me about it, it was just sort of sprung on me and it was assumed that I was OK with that.

1 hour ago, The New Guy said:

So glad you went to sacrament! Yes the people who assign callings are all volunteers. They are often juggling many responsibilities. They are untrained and sometimes like ducks paddling hard while looking as though they know what they are doing. Forgive them.

Edited by Sunday21

Yeay!  Of course you'll have to go again so it becomes a regular thing.  But not this Sunday, it's General Conference.  Maybe you can watch conference with your old friends!  Then the next Sunday after that is Fast and Testimony meeting.  That should be a good meeting for you.  I do suggest you give your bishop a call just to let him know how you're doing.  It wouldn't hurt to tell him about being overwhelmed before so they won't make the same mistake.  He could also give you peace of mind about partaking of the Sacrament if you're still wondering about that.

Keep us posted!