Doctrine and Covenants 121: 41-42

askandanswer

41  No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

42  By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—

I suspect that I have never properly understood the above verses. It seems to me that the power and influence of a priesthood leader is maintained primarily, or solely because of the Priesthood. By what power is a bishop or Stake President sustained and maintained in their office, and enabled to exercise any power or influence at all other than by the power of the Priesthood? And if some other power is involved, such as that which comes from persuasion, long-suffering, gentleness, love, etc, do these things contribute as much to a bishop’s power and influence as much as does his priesthood power?

Edited by askandanswer

Start instead in verse 36 (or earlier) and it becomes clearer.  I think it means, "No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of having been ordained to the priesthood..." - in other words, just because you've been ordained to the priesthood doesn't mean you get to boss everyone around like a king.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/121.33-40?lang=eng#p32

And yes, I think all those virtues have / are power.  https://www.lds.org/manual/teachings-george-albert-smith/chapter-21?lang=eng

15 hours ago, askandanswer said:

41  No power or influence can or ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood, only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned;

42  By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile—

I suspect that I have never properly understood the above verses. It seems to me that the power and influence of a priesthood leader is maintained primarily, or solely because of the Priesthood. By what power is a bishop or Stake President sustained and maintained in their office, and enabled to exercise any power or influence at all other than by the power of the Priesthood? And if some other power is involved, such as that which comes from persuasion, long-suffering, gentleness, love, etc, do these things contribute as much to a bishop’s power and influence as much as does his priesthood power?

If not by virtue of the priesthood, the power and influence of a priesthood office must be maintained by some other way that is not of God, and is thus perverted from the order of the Son.

Correct maintenance by the office holder involves the attributes listed above; and by the saints involves their common consent, sustaining and prayer of faith; and by those who hold the keys involves both, in accordance with their ensuring these callings are issued as they come by God, by prophecy and the laying on of hands.

Edited by CV75

16 hours ago, askandanswer said:

It means that it should not be the stick of the priesthood you use to motivate people. I would say that those traits are about the only means of succsessful influence over people to a bishop. Should he choose a seperate route i dont think he will be succsessful for long.

I would like to offer a similar perspective in agreement with what others have said but to add to it as well:

First lets consider the word virtue:

7. Excellence; or that which constitutes value and merit.
- Terence, who thought the sole grace and virtue of their fable, the sticking in of sentences.
(Websters Dictionary 1828 - Virtue)

I tend to use the above definition of virtue when thinking about these verses, although the other definitions would just as easily render the same result.

"No power or influence can. . . be maintained by virtue of the priesthood. . . " (D&C 121:41)

It is not possible to maintain power or influence solely by the excellence, value, merit, etc, of the priesthood.  Just as @Blackmarch said, it would not be successful for long.  As soon as you start saying, "Do it because I am the [insert priesthood role]", how long before no one respects you anymore and no longer honors your demands?

"No power or influence. . . ought to be maintained by virtue of the priesthood. . . " (D&C 121:41)

It is unrighteous for an individual to even attempt to maintain or exert power over another simply by merit of the priesthood.  It is against the heavenly order of things.  The simple fact that one would attempt it is wickedness on their part at that moment in time and they ought to repent, else 'amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.'

". . .only by persuasion, by long-suffering, by gentleness and meekness, and by love unfeigned; By kindness, and pure knowledge, which shall greatly enlarge the soul without hypocrisy, and without guile— " (D&C 121:41-42)

Don't most of those sound like the fruits of the Spirit?  If one acts in accordance with the direction of the Spirit and exhibits the fruit of the Spirit in his actions, people will see his fruit and the righteous within his stewardship will obey.  By following this principle, he will be perfectly able to maintain his power or influence.

A final connection lies in D&C 29:36:

". . .the devil . . . rebelled against me, saying, Give me thine honor, which is my power. . ."

The priesthood is not magic.  In this verse, God hints at the fact that His power is honor.  Everything obeys him because of his attributes and perfections.  By following the guidelines of these verses, and learning to act in accordance with them, would one not establish himself to those who seek after righteousness as honorable?  Are not most people willing to follow and accept a man of true honor? I believe that he would and that they are.  By giving us these principles, the Lord is not only teaching us what not to do (because it can not and will not ever work) but also giving us further light and knowledge about how to become like Him who literally is the embodiment of priesthood perfection, and is able to exercise it and maintain it eternally upon these principles.

Edited by person0

23 hours ago, askandanswer said:

These things give power to his priesthood. President Packer taught:

We have done very well at distributing the authority of the priesthood. We have priesthood authority planted nearly everywhere. We have quorums of elders and high priests worldwide. But distributing the authority of the priesthood has raced, I think, ahead of distributing the power of the priesthood. The priesthood does not have the strength that it should have and will not have until the power of the priesthood is firmly fixed in the families as it should be.

If you want to see what that looks like, look at the respect certain people get long after they have been released from their calling and see how well it aligns with the blessing shared in this scripture for living these principles.

then shall thy confidence wax strong in the presence of God; and the doctrine of the priesthood shall distil upon thy soul as the dews from heaven. The Holy Ghost shall be thy constant companion, and thy scepter an unchanging scepter of righteousness and truth; and thy dominion shall be an everlasting dominion, and without compulsory means it shall flow unto thee forever and ever.

I have heard the respect some former missionaries have for their old mission president. I have seen goofball children fall in line for a Primary teacher they love. I have met a number of people who have these "dominions" flowing to them without compulsion. And it's not charisma (not in the modern usage, perhaps in some technical meaning of charisma). These are spirit-filled individuals (https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=G5486) with God's grace empowering them.

9 hours ago, mordorbund said:

I have heard the respect some former missionaries have for their old mission president. I have seen goofball children fall in line for a Primary teacher they love. I have met a number of people who have these "dominions" flowing to them without compulsion. And it's not charisma (not in the modern usage, perhaps in some technical meaning of charisma). These are spirit-filled individuals (https://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?strongs=G5486) with God's grace empowering them.

Can I just triple-like this paragraph?