Atheists are people too!

Sunday21

Atheists are people too! There are many atheists among us!

https://www.google.ca/search?sclient=tablet-gws&client=safari&channel=iphone_bm&site=&source=hp&q=percentage+athisists+us&oq=percentage+athisists+us&gs_l=tablet-gws.12..30i10k1.2515.13631.0.14568.23.23.0.0.0.0.155.2665.2j21.23.0....0...1.1.64.tablet-gws..0.20.2316...0j0i131k1j0i10k1j0i22i10i30k1j0i13k1.YMv09GA2Qto

Atheists are warm and caring people. They do volunteer work.

http://www.coyotecommunications.com/stuff/atheists.shtml

Please desist from atheist basing. Atheists are mistaken about the way in which the universe runs. This lack of understanding does not make them stupid. They are misguided. They are not evil.

Be kind. Many lds people were raised in the faith. Be grateful.

It is not fun to be an atheist especially when your loved ones die. Don't be cruel. Being an atheist is very lonely and sad. 

Edited by Sunday21

Guest LiterateParakeet

I agree Sunday!  A couple of my favorite people are atheists.    Let me see..one of my closest friends, my therapist, a friend of my daughter that is a very cool young man, and our own @Godless   All of them awesome people. :) 

Edited by LiterateParakeet

Thank you @LiterateParakeet ! I would like to say that IMHO, atheists make good Christians. We have been wrong. This is humbling thus we often pay close attention to the new environment. We are willing to learn and to change.

The event that 'turned' us is frequently very faith promoting. And scary. Thus we are even more humble and anxious to get things right.

We are wary of the philosophies of men. We know how seductive, well meaning but erroneous paths can be. The philosophies of men really are like a path. The deviation starts off as a small step but that small step can gradually lead you into dark paths.

There are many atheists out there who will make lovely Christians!  

Guest Godless

I truly appreciate your overall sentiment, but statements like this:

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Atheists are mistaken about the way in which the universe runs. This lack of understanding does not make them stupid. They are misguided. They are not evil.

And particularly this one:

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

It is not fun to be an atheist especially when your loved ones die. Don't be cruel. Being an atheist is very lonely and sad. 

come off as a little condescending. Just thought you should know. :cool:

I love atheists!  

But I believe science itself testifies that God exists.

As I have become more and more educated, the percentage of people I am around who are Protestant has dwindled, and the percentage of atheists has skyrocketed.  Interestingly, it is often easier to discuss the subject of God with atheists than protestant fundamentalists because they don't default to "well you are Mormon and not going to heaven" whenever we reach disagreement and I have the upper hand.  In other words, I can converse intelligibly about religion with atheists, which is nice for a change in Texas.

That said, I don't "get" the appeal of atheism outside of the fact that much non-Mormon religion is so messed up.  It is not a comforting philosophy, that you will one day cease to exist and every feeling or emotion in your life has been meaningless (although arguably more comforting than protestant fundamentalism, where 99% of humanity is doomed to be burned for all eternity for the crime of being born into the wrong family and/or culture).  If I were an atheist, I would be greatly disturbed by how much science testifies that God exists, from our cell biology to the complex machine that forms our Earth to our solar system to our very instinctual beliefs in a God.  I know atheists may find this condescending @Godless but I am just being honest as to how I personally feel about atheist ideas (as opposed to atheists as people).

So there you have it.  I love atheists personally, and I would never have less respect for someone who decided they were atheist.  However, we would have to agree to disagree on a great many things when it comes to religion.

Edited by DoctorLemon

5 hours ago, Sunday21 said:

Atheists are warm and caring people.

They do volunteer work.

Atheists are mistaken about the way in which the universe runs.

This lack of understanding does not make them stupid.

They are misguided. They are not evil.

Being an atheist is very lonely and sad. 

And...?

Please desist from atheist basing.

Who does that?

...It is not fun to be an atheist especially when your loved ones die. Don't be cruel. Being an atheist is very lonely and sad. 

3 hours ago, Godless said:

come off as a little condescending. Just thought you should know. :cool:

Not only condescending but I would think also not true.

M.

Atheists are people too!

By definition, people who don't believe in God aren't people*. I think they don't actually exist. They may think they do, but this is just another delusion on their part.

*The definition being as follows:
peo•ple (/ˈpip(ə)l/) People who believe in God: "the God-fearing people", "people who don't believe in God aren't people", "People who eat people are the hungriest people in the world"

Atheists are warm and caring people.

The warm and caring ones, anyway.

Please desist from atheist basing.

It's more dangerous than freebasing!

If you read and say "people" a bunch of times, you start realizing what a funny-looking and funny-sounding word it is.

We are commanded to love our neighbors, no matter what happens. If someone is nasty and makes assumptions against someone who says they're atheist, then they're judging and clearly don't understand the principle of following Jesus Christ's example.

We have had a few different types of atheists, and this can also be said for theists, on this forum. @Godless I have found to be respectful and believe his decisions are sincere; however, that being said I have never encountered him on any other forum so I don't know everything, but what I have seen I have liked even in disagreements.

Not long ago we had another atheist who was just coming on the forum for "sport" and seeking to find excuses for his new found paradigm as an atheist, and the hypocritical nature truly revealed itself. I have good friends who are atheist and respectful.

There is nothing wrong with anyone when they are respectful and considerate. People like Richard Dawkins, Hitchens, and other prominent atheists unfortunately have created a following that believes "only" atheists are rational people, which is a highly irrational statement, or as one unsung youtuber once said, "Only atheists teach their children freedom of thought, theists only teach brainwashing." (not a perfect quote, but it suits) Again, another irrational thought from an individual who claimed to be apart of the only rational individuals upon this earth.

Guest MormonGator
11 minutes ago, Anddenex said:

@Godless I have found to be respectful and believe his decisions are sincere

True, but his personal hygiene, social skills and limited intellectual abilities bother all of us. 

(just playing! Nothing but love and highest respect for @Godless and go Spurs!) 

Edited by MormonGator

Guest Godless
16 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

True, but his personal hygiene, social skills and limited intellectual abilities bother all of us. 

(just playing! Nothing but love and highest respect for @Godless and go Spurs!) 

I'll have you know that I showered this week! :angry: