Feeding People is Cultural Appropriation?

On 5/27/2017 at 1:34 AM, dahlia said:

Are you kidding? Do you know which party was the party of segregation? Of the Klan? The South is/was full of Democrats who flew the Confederate flag. Blacks continue to vote leftist because they are ignorant of the history of political parties in the US and think the Democrats are on their side.  I'm not one of them.

But you're a panda.  Black, white, and Asian all at the same time.

Gosh, I read the OP story as, two women stole recipes and techniques from little old grandmas in Mexico and used them without permission, or reimbursement to the grandmas, to make money in Oregon.

I never read that the two women shouldn't enjoy baking Mexican food for personal enjoyment. It's the exploiting others, for personal gain, that is the Big Deal. 

Edited by Blueskye2

On 5/31/2017 at 10:22 AM, unixknight said:

Let's just call the outrage over cultural appropriation what it is, shall we?  It's the latest implementation of Segregation, and George Wallace would be thrilled at the way the Thought Police some sectors of the American Left are pushing to separate people by race and culture.

This is why I don't buy into the notion that the Republican and Democrat parties have switched places since the 19th Century.  The approach is different, the rhetoric is different, but the effects aren't.

Disagree with me?  Then how would YOU account for this:

Show me a list of the top 10 cities where black citizens are in the worst socio-economic shape, and I'll show you a list of places where the Democrat party has held power for decades.  Look at Detroit.  Look at Baltimore.  Cities that have gone decades without a Republican mayor or significant Republican influence in city government and yet these are the worst crapholes in terms of crime, poverty, racial tension and urban decay, and almost entirely in black neighborhoods.

By their fruits shall ye know them.

It's plain as day to me, and I'm not even a Republican.  (Libertarian, if you're curious.)

Dang, let it out. 

Both Republicans and Democrats have never provided a solution for chronic, intergenerational poverty, anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

Dang, let it out. 

Both Republicans and Democrats have never provided a solution for chronic, intergenerational poverty, anywhere. 

Yep.  And the reason is simple:  The Government isn't good at this stuff, regardless of who's in charge.  I'd say Republicans would be better overall if for no other reason than they're more likely to get out of the way and let the economy grow naturally.  A good economy lifts more people out of poverty, regardless of race, than any government program ever implemented.

Guest Godless

Looks like the cultural appropriation war has hit Texas now. (link

This link was shared by an industry associate of mine with the following commentary:

I wanted to share this article about one of my life's passions (tacos) for a few reasons:

1) one cannot culturally appropriate tacos because tacos belong to everyone. Whether you are Chicano, white, black, Asian or purple... you can make and enjoy tacos.

2) the first sin you can make is to make or enjoy [bad] tacos. This is unacceptable and is worth all the ridicule that is ultimately thrust upon you. (See: Austin)

3) the second sin is you can make is to claim ownership over the origin or evolution of tacos. This is unacceptable and is worth all the ridicule that is ultimately thrust upon you. (See: Austin, again)

4) last time I was in Dallas and I asked locals for a recommendation for the best tacos, I got sent to a f'n gas station. So maybe Dallas should [shut up] about tacos a little bit (Dallas, you've yet to demonstrate that you don't commit sin #2, so slow your roll before you commit sin #3)

5) stop with Taco Tuesdays. Every day is appropriate for tacos, this isn't the LEGO Movie

6) tacos

So yeah, we take tacos pretty seriously down here. The negative references to Austin stem from an article published in 2015 by an Austin food writer claiming that breakfast tacos were invented in Austin. This started an epic Taco War between Austin and SA. San Antonians were making mass pilgrimages to the Alamo in preparation for the coming conflict, while Austinites were attempting to weaponize kombucha tea and terrible indie music. Fortunately, things calmed down before any innocent tortillas became casualties of a senseless war.

And yes, apparently the best taco place in Dallas is a gas station. He didn't make that up.

Edited by Godless

1 minute ago, unixknight said:

Yep.  And the reason is simple:  The Government isn't good at this stuff, regardless of who's in charge.  I'd say Republicans would be better overall if for no other reason than they're more likely to get out of the way and let the economy grow naturally.  A good economy lifts more people out of poverty, regardless of race, than any government program ever implemented.

Trickle down economics hasn't been proven to be effective in eradicating poverty.

47 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

Gosh, I read the OP story as, two women stole recipes and techniques from little old grandmas in Mexico and used them without permission, or reimbursement to the grandmas, to make money in Oregon.

I never read that the two women shouldn't enjoy baking Mexican food for personal enjoyment. It's the exploiting others, for personal gain, that is the Big Deal. 

I saw that, but couldn't figure out how the lack of reimbursement had anything to do with cultural appropriation, which is what the article is purportedly about. I don't see their process description as much different than developing a recipe for barbecue sauce after talking to all your neighbors about how they make their special sauces and studying the ingredient lists on the store-bought sauces before experimenting with how to combine their elements to make your own.

Just now, SilentOne said:

I saw that, but couldn't figure out how the lack of reimbursement had anything to do with cultural appropriation, which is what the article is purportedly about. I don't see their process description as much different than developing a recipe for barbecue sauce after talking to all your neighbors about how they make their special sauces and studying the ingredient lists on the store-bought sauces before experimenting with how to combine their elements to make your own.

Cultural appropriation, as I understand it, is a complaint that white people exploit non-white cultures for monetary gain. If the women had invited the people who they stole their recipes from, to partner with them, thus joining in the venture and reaping the profits, there would be no complaint.

The women in the OP story were not experimenting and making their own recipes. They outright stole existing recipes and cooking techniques and then opened a restaurant. It would be like me, learning the recipe of my neighbors carefully developed bbq sauce and then secretly opening a restaurant with her sauce as the thing that earns me money, without her consent. 

29 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

Trickle down economics hasn't been proven to be effective in eradicating poverty.

There's no such thing as "trickle down economics".  That's just another leftist narrative invented for media propaganda.  I think the common term used nowadays is Fake News covfefe.

47 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

Cultural appropriation, as I understand it, is a complaint that white people exploit non-white cultures for monetary gain. If the women had invited the people who they stole their recipes from, to partner with them, thus joining in the venture and reaping the profits, there would be no complaint.

The women in the OP story were not experimenting and making their own recipes. They outright stole existing recipes and cooking techniques and then opened a restaurant. It would be like me, learning the recipe of my neighbors carefully developed bbq sauce and then secretly opening a restaurant with her sauce as the thing that earns me money, without her consent. 

Nope.  Cultural appropriation doesn't have to have monetary gain.  For example...

Now, your "spinning" to make this "intellectual theft" instead of cultural appropriation is a good try.  But no, that's not why they closed.  They closed because of accusations of cultural appropriation, not because they picked the brains of Mexican tortilla ladies and peeked into tortilla kitchen windows to come up with their own version of a taco.   Because, if these 2 women were Hispanic American women who went to Mexico (even if they've never been to Mexico before) and picked the brains of every tortilla lady and peeked into every tortilla kitchen window, these 2 women would still be selling tacos today.  So yeah, you can try to twist yourself into a pretzel defending the people who closed down this shop but at least be honest about it.

Edited by anatess2

2 hours ago, Godless said:

Looks like the cultural appropriation war has hit Texas now. (link

So Japanese restaurants are owned by Koreans and Korean restaurants are run by Japanese?  What is this world coming to? Next thing you know some white folks are going to run a taqueria. . . . ermm...

14 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

So Japanese restaurants are owned by Koreans and Korean restaurants are run by Japanese?  What is this world coming to? Next thing you know some white folks are going to run a taqueria. . . . ermm...

And what about those sushi bars in the Chinese Buffet hmm?  The Japanese could go to war on the Chinese for that!  And then where would we be.. because then the Chinese would blow up the Philippines for their pansit and lumpia!  World War III to commence soon thereafter.

Edited by anatess2

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Nope.  Cultural appropriation doesn't have to have monetary gain.  For example...

Ah yes - Bonita Tindle.  Commits two assaults and still apparently doesn't think she did anything wrong.  Accuses the guy taking the video of chopping and editing the scene, says "The White male student’s motivation is suspect in that it does not come as an objective point of view".  

And last we heard, SFSU was considering bowing to demands from the Black Student Union to "create a new space on campus where students can safely live and talk about issues affecting African-Americans".  Yes, voluntary segregation in the name of inclusiveness. 

Where did our special snowflake thread go?

3 hours ago, anatess2 said:

Now, your "spinning" to make this "intellectual theft" instead of cultural appropriation is a good try.  But no, that's not why they closed.  They closed because of accusations of cultural appropriation, not because they picked the brains of Mexican tortilla ladies and peeked into tortilla kitchen windows to come up with their own version of a taco.   Because, if these 2 women were Hispanic American women who went to Mexico (even if they've never been to Mexico before) and picked the brains of every tortilla lady and peeked into every tortilla kitchen window, these 2 women would still be selling tacos today.  So yeah, you can try to twist yourself into a pretzel defending the people who closed down this shop but at least be honest about it.

I'm not defending the madness. Only explaining how I read the article.

i was thinking on the drive home that Julia Childs culturally appropriated the French. 

4 hours ago, anatess2 said:

There's no such thing as "trickle down economics".  That's just another leftist narrative invented for media propaganda.  I think the common term used nowadays is Fake News covfefe.

"The term is often used to criticize economic policies which favor the wealthy or privileged, while being framed as good for the average citizen."

I completely agree, there is no such thing. 

Edited by Blueskye2

35 minutes ago, NeuroTypical said:

And last we heard, SFSU was considering bowing to demands from the Black Student Union to "create a new space on campus where students can safely live and talk about issues affecting African-Americans".  Yes, voluntary segregation in the name of inclusiveness. 

Where did our special snowflake thread go?

Who really cares that groups form and would like a space to meet?

Apparently it isn't only liberals who get triggered? ?

Edited by Blueskye2

Guest MormonGator
5 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

Apparently it isn't only liberals who get triggered? ?

So true. It's only liberals who get accused of being snowflakes/triggered but in reality both sides are full of snowflakes who look for reasons to be "triggered". 

17 hours ago, Blueskye2 said:

Two things:

1) Poverty cannot be eradicated completely.  The Lord even said so.  "The poor ye shall always have among you."  It's a basic principle of life.  No matter what system you have, there will always be some poor.  It's just a question of how many.

2) The laissez-faire period of the 1800s was the greatest period of economic growth in the history of the world.  That diminished poverty numbers greater than any other system in history.  That's about as close as you're going to get.

10 hours ago, Carborendum said:

Two things:

1) Poverty cannot be eradicated completely.  The Lord even said so.  "The poor ye shall always have among you."  It's a basic principle of life.  No matter what system you have, there will always be some poor.  It's just a question of how many.

2) The laissez-faire period of the 1800s was the greatest period of economic growth in the history of the world.  That diminished poverty numbers greater than any other system in history.  That's about as close as you're going to get.

Jesus also provided instructions for helping the poor, and explained the consequences for not doing so. Capitalism wasn't on the list. ;)

57 minutes ago, Blueskye2 said:

My statement still applies! :D

Technically what you say is true, but so what?  No economic system has yet been proven to eradicate poverty.  As was pointed out earlier, there's always been poverty and probably always will be.  So I'm really not sure what your point is.

• pam unfeatured this topic