Good Eats

Snow

On the years when our ward meets on the late block, I get up and cook breakfast for the whole family.

-Eggs, poached, fried, scrambled, or bread eggs. If scrambled, I experiment with things like feta cheese and tomatoes and such

-Bacon, chorizo, or sausage (I buy bacon ends and pieces - they are cheap and huge).

-Potatoes, hashbrowns or country style.

On the years when our ward has the early block, when we get home I make a large platter of cheeses, and Italian meats and olives.

Cheddars, sharp and mild

Stilton, the king of cheeses and also a cheddar

Blues

Jarlberg, Swiss

Bries and Camembert

Irish and Dutch and Spanish cheeses

Munster and Provolone

Fresh baby mozzarella

Plus something new every week,

Foies Gras

-Salami - cotto, dry, italian or german

-Pepperoni

-Capicola

-Prosciutto

Olives, green, kalmata, Halkidikis, Alfonsos...

Sometimes instead I just make a giant sandwich:

-French baguette sliced length-wise on one side.

-Fill with lots of brie (a whole piece sliced up) and lots of liverwurst or braunschweiger (a whole thing, sliced up). That's it.

-Wrap in foil and warm in a 250 degree oven for about 10-15 minutes.

If it doesn't sound delicious, try it, it is. Even my wife and picky kids love it. I invented it.

For dinner, I usually make a roast or chicken or a big piece of family style fish.

Today I brined a chicken with sea salt and sugars and spices and garlic, pepper and jalepeno. I have it roasting on the bbq grill right now.

Snow,

The chicken sounds great. I am not a cheese fan so while the italian meats sound good I would just stick with a good pepperjack cheese.

I love to cook on my bbq yearround. The best dish I make is a bbq turkey at Thanksgiving. Have not made one in the oven in 30 years.

I am preparing a side of salmon for FHE tomorrow. We have two other families over each Monday for FHE. Well we move between the three houses alternating Mondays.

Ben Raines

On the years when our ward meets on the late block, I get up and cook breakfast for the whole family.

-Eggs, poached, fried, scrambled, or bread eggs. If scrambled, I experiment with things like feta cheese and tomatoes and such

-Bacon, chorizo, or sausage (I buy bacon ends and pieces - they are cheap and huge).

On the years when our ward has the early block, when we get home I make a large platter of cheeses, and Italian meats and olives.

Cheddars, sharp and mild

Blues

Jarlberg, Swiss

Bries and Camembert

Munster and Provolone

Fresh baby mozzarella

Foies Gras

-Pepperoni

-Capicola

-Prosciutto

-Fill with lots of brie (a whole piece sliced up) and lots of liverwurst or braunschweiger (a whole thing, sliced up). That's it.

If it doesn't sound delicious, try it, it is. Even my wife and picky kids love it. I invented it.

For dinner, I usually make a roast or chicken or a big piece of family style fish.

Today I brined a chicken with sea salt and sugars and spices and garlic, pepper and jalepeno. I have it roasting on the bbq grill right now.

Ummmm What time is dinner? It all sounds good!

You'd be welcome anytime. Bat and I have had a number of meals together, the last time a bbq rib dinner down here by the beach.

Snow,

The chicken sounds great. I am not a cheese fan so while the italian meats sound good I would just stick with a good pepperjack cheese.

I love to cook on my bbq yearround. The best dish I make is a bbq turkey at Thanksgiving. Have not made one in the oven in 30 years.

I am preparing a side of salmon for FHE tomorrow. We have two other families over each Monday for FHE. Well we move between the three houses alternating Mondays.

Ben Raines

Gotta love salmon. Had that last night. I like to keep it simple; rub it in olive oil, season with Old Bay and bbq or bake it.

Cheddars, sharp and mild

Blues

Jarlberg, Swiss

Bries and Camembert

Munster and Provolone

Fresh baby mozzarella

Foies Gras

-Pepperoni

-Capicola

-Prosciutto

May I have your address and the time when the next meal will be? I'll even bring the drinks.

<div class='quotemain'>

I've got a witness! Yes, amen!

So? :dontknow:

When is the LDStalk SNOW festival...hosted by our hall of famer! Enquiring minds want to know.

I think it's only fair and right.

<div class='quotemain'>

Yeah...maybe...whatever...I'm hungry...where's the grub???!!! :wow:

I think you have to wait until next Sunday. Remember these are his traditional Sunday meals.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

I think you have to wait until next Sunday. Remember these are his traditional Sunday meals.

So, what's wrong with a traditional Sunday night Media Noche? :sparklygrin:

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

So, what's wrong with a traditional Sunday night Media Noche? :sparklygrin:

What time will you have it ready?

Snow that all sounds great, of course... but you lost me at foie gras. I've always thought that stuff should be outlawed because of the cruelty involved in producing it. I just feel like it's too much for a stinkin' appetizer... 'twould be different if it could sustain large numbers of people, as I do think it's OK to use animals as a food source.

"To make foie gras — French for "fat liver" — farm-raised moulard ducks are force-fed corn through a funnel put down their necks until their livers expand to at least six times normal size."

-http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2006-06-01-foie-gras_x.htm

As for the big baguette sandwich, I may just have to try that one!

Okay Salmon Lovers, I need to know what "Old Bay" is. Also, what are some other ways for preparing salmon and halibut.... I have some in the freezer that must be used from an Alaskan Fishing Trip. :)

This is what I found on it SF. Not sure this is what you are referring to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Bay_Seasoning

Here is a website with some recipes.

http://www.old-bay.com/content.cfm?id=11526

SF.. Old Bay is a seasoning you can find at the grocery store. Super yummy on all types of seafood. :)

Guess what you guys?! I made Funeral Potatoes for the the first time ever in my 34 years last night for dinner. My little daughter said "I thought they only made these at church!" hee hee! They were really yummy with the pork chops, salad and brides biscuits!

We're on the 11:30 am start time right now for church so usually make a big brunch to last us through the block.

Eggs

Bacon/Sausage/Chorizo

Muffins of some sort..this is where i experiment..blueberry. poppy seed. chocolate/chocolate chip.

Fruit- I usually chop it up in to bite size chunks and make a topping/dip that's 1/2 a tub of cool whip lite and 1 container of whichever yogurt flavor sounds good. Last time it was blackberry and a huge hit! you can work out whatever coolwhip to yogurt ratio is yummiest for you. :)

And always, always potatoes of some sort! :)

SF.. Old Bay is a seasoning you can find at the grocery store. Super yummy on all types of seafood. :)

Guess what you guys?! I made Funeral Potatoes for the the first time ever in my 34 years last night for dinner. My little daughter said "I thought they only made these at church!" hee hee! They were really yummy with the pork chops, salad and brides biscuits!

We're on the 11:30 am start time right now for church so usually make a big brunch to last us through the block.

Eggs

Bacon/Sausage/Chorizo

Muffins of some sort..this is where i experiment..blueberry. poppy seed. chocolate/chocolate chip.

Fruit- I usually chop it up in to bite size chunks and make a topping/dip that's 1/2 a tub of cool whip lite and 1 container of whichever yogurt flavor sounds good. Last time it was blackberry and a huge hit! you can work out whatever coolwhip to yogurt ratio is yummiest for you. :)

Okay so what time is YOUR brunch so I can make sure I'm on time next week?

<div class='quotemain'>

Eggs

Bacon/Sausage/Chorizo

Okay so what time is YOUR brunch so I can make sure I'm on time next week?

9:30 am ! be there or be L7! :) I would love to have you!

Snow,

Ben Raines

Ben, do tell how you do the turkey on the grill. That sounds delicious. My son slow grills corned beef on the grill and it is awesome.

Marsha

<div class='quotemain'>

Snow,

Ben Raines

Ben, do tell how you do the turkey on the grill. That sounds delicious. My son slow grills corned beef on the grill and it is awesome.

Marsha

One of these days I'd like to try a fried turkey. I have friends that do it that way every year and rave about it.

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Snow,

Ben Raines

Marsha

One of these days I'd like to try a fried turkey. I have friends that do it that way every year and rave about it.

That's big here in the South, and it's really good. It cooks really quickly and the outside is crispy while the inside is NOT dry. It's not greasy like you would think.