Sin and Loss of the Spirit

I was... uhmm... surprised to hear this opinion in LDSLiving.

http://www.ldsliving.com/One-Dangerous-and-Completely-Untrue-Thing-About-Sin-Mormons-Need-to-Stop-Believing/s/85779

I guess if you're a celebrity you can just say about anything and simply add,"Well, this is just my opinion."  And it's fit for publication.

Youth in the Church are accustomed to hearing the idea that if they go certain places and do certain things, the Spirit or presence of Christ will leave them. This is 100 percent my simple opinion and I really have no authority, but I just can’t stomach that idea.

I understand that we can make choices that make it difficult for us to feel the Spirit, but I don’t think it’s because He isn’t around. Yes, we can dull our sensitivity to His influence, but no we can’t make Him give up on us.

Edited by Guest

25 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

I was... uhmm... surprised to hear this opinion in LDSLiving.

http://www.ldsliving.com/One-Dangerous-and-Completely-Untrue-Thing-About-Sin-Mormons-Need-to-Stop-Believing/s/85779

I guess if you're a celebrity you can just say about anything and simply add,"Well, this is just my opinion."  And it's fit for publication.

Woman is an idiot. 

You could have given us the summary so she didn't keep getting hits.  SPOILER ALERT:

Youth in the Church are accustomed to hearing the idea that if they go certain places and do certain things, the Spirit or presence of Christ will leave them. This is 100 percent my simple opinion and I really have no authority, but I just can’t stomach that idea.

I understand that we can make choices that make it difficult for us to feel the Spirit, but I don’t think it’s because He isn’t around. Yes, we can dull our sensitivity to His influence, but no we can’t make Him give up on us.

1 hour ago, Sunday21 said:

Woman is an idiot. 

Everybody!  I'm calling on one and all to give Sunday a whole bunch of likes for this quote because:

47 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

I have bad days!

We need to get Sunday feeling better.  Like these posts.  Like Sunday's posts all day long!!!

Giver her a "like" bomb.

Edited by Guest

She is merely dancing around semantics to appear intellectual or "progressive," against "tradition."

"The spirit will leave you if you go into a bad place" and "The spirit is still there you just won't feel it if you go into a bad place" are essentially the same thing.

What strikes me though is the conceit of the statement. The idea that a member of the Godhead should suffer your presence even when you are literally entertaining the will of perdition which is rebellion and wickedness per se, is pure pride. 

"Wherefore teach it unto your children, that all men, everywhere, must repent, or they can in nowise inherit the kingdom of God, for no unclean thing can dwell there, or dwell in his presence; for, in the language of Adam, Man of Holiness is his name, and the name of his Only Begotten is the Son of Man, even Jesus Christ, a righteous Judge, who shall come in the meridian of time." - Moses 6:57

What more does He need to do to demonstrate His intentions for man?

"Yes, we can dull our sensitivity to His influence, but no we can’t make Him give up on us." Has nothing to do with whether or not the spirit should dwell in wickedness or not.

Here's what members of the church should never stop believing: There is no man more interested in, or who has labored more for our welfare than, the Eternal God, our Father. You worship Him, not the other way around.

I hope this woman comes to a realization of her nothingness.

Edited by Snigmorder

24 minutes ago, Vort said:

She must be one of those celebrities I've never heard of. Not that uncommon.

She's been celebrated as an LDS international runway model in her teens.  When she turned 18, she became a fashion designer.

Her last name makes me believe she's related to Orson Scott Card.

But, you're right.  I'd never heard of her before I read the article.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that she is an idiot because the Spirit of Christ *will* leave a young woman because of her sins? Are you criticizing her because you think what she wrote will encourage some young woman to sin rather than encourage some other young woman to repent of what she may already have done?

11 minutes ago, Mike said:

Wait a minute. Are you saying that she is an idiot because the Spirit of Christ *will* leave a young woman because of her sins? Are you criticizing her because you think what she wrote will encourage some young woman to sin rather than encourage some other young woman to repent of what she may already have done?

Both. If you sin the Holy Ghost will leave you. This differs with the grativity of the sin but I am not proposing experimental trials. Let's not test this out!

23 minutes ago, Sunday21 said:

Both. If you sin the Holy Ghost will leave you. This differs with the grativity of the sin but I am not proposing experimental trials. Let's not test this out!

Then I disagree with your criticism of the writer because I believe that her article may well encourage some young woman who has already sinned to repent. I don't believe it will encourage one to commit sin. 

Edited by Mike

Guest MormonGator
1 hour ago, zil said:

That's Sunday - our resident, savage Canadian.

I had a friend who thought Canadians were peaceful, friendly, compassionate and mellow. I said to him "Never seen a hockey fight, huh kid?" 

(I'm kidding @Sunday21! You know I have nothing but love for you, your country and hockey!) 

Edited by MormonGator

50 minutes ago, Mike said:

Then I disagree with your criticism of the writer because I believe that her article may well encourage some young woman who has already sinned to repent. I don't believe it will encourage one to commit sin. 

Well, then, do we believe it is a good thing to lie in order to encourage someone to repent?

Just now, Mike said:

Are you asking this because you believe the writer is a liar?

I believe that what she said is incorrect doctrine.  And you are advocating that we speaking incorrect doctrine is acceptable if it helps someone repent.  She may not have known it was false.  But I would think that you do. Do you?