Why doesn't the Church teach its members how to give talks?

Lost Boy

I am sure I am going to get push back on this, but some talks are absolutely boring.  And there is very little reason they have to be.

How often do we get the...  "The second councilor stopped me in the hall and gave me the topic of blah blah blah.  I feel so inadequate to speak on this...  blah blah blah"   You would never hear this in general conference.  

To me good talks have similar elements.  They typically start with a story...  particularly a personal story...  people like hearing personal stories.  Of course it needs to be pertinent to the topic at hand.  bring in GA references, scripture references, personal testimony, etc.  It doesn't have to follow this exact format of course, but the basic elements are there.  And really personal experiences related to the topic really bring the spirit into the message.

But week after week, we have speakers struggling to figure out how to give a talk and a congregation that is hoping to feel the spirit.  Things could be a lot better.

28 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I am sure I am going to get push back on this, but some talks are absolutely boring. 

True.  Can't argue against that very convincingly, myself.

And there is very little reason they have to be.

Of course there is.

How often do we get the...  "The second councilor stopped me in the hall and gave me the topic of blah blah blah.  I feel so inadequate to speak on this...  blah blah blah"   

Yup. Unfortunate.

You would never hear this in general conference.

Most general authorities are seasoned individuals with a lot of confidence in public.  Most of them were also in bishoprics and other leadership positions where they're very well aware of and are equally frustrated with hearing those same statements.  So, they don't do it themselves.

To me good talks have similar elements.  They typically start with a story...  particularly a personal story...  people like hearing personal stories.  Of course it needs to be pertinent to the topic at hand.  bring in GA references, scripture references, personal testimony, etc.  It doesn't have to follow this exact format of course, but the basic elements are there.  And really personal experiences related to the topic really bring the spirit into the message.

No, not really.  That is one formula.  And, sure, it works.  But there are plenty of other ways to bring the Spirit into the message. (see below)  Some ways we learn and feel the Spirit have nothing to do with such "basic elements."

But week after week, we have speakers struggling to figure out how to give a talk and a congregation that is hoping to feel the spirit.  Things could be a lot better.

Don't take the following as an attack.  It is an honest effort to get you to consider something.

What are YOU doing about it?  Do you have any friends that you're coaching to help them speak better?  Do you reach out to anyone to help them with speaking skills?  Have you ever shared your formula with others?  If you yourself aren't doing anything about it when you seem to care about these things more than the Church or the bishopric, then how can you complain that no one else has?

********************** ANECDOTE *****************************

There is a young woman in our ward who is very sweet and kind and... from a broken home.  She has friends in the ward and a lot of support.  One week she was asked to give a talk in Sacrament.  As shy as she was, she had difficulty even getting to the podium.  But she spoke.  I honestly can't tell what she said.  She was so unsteady and suttered and corrected herself a LOT.  She began crying.

Then another young lady came up to the podium with her and gave her a hug and some verbal encouragement.  I'll tell you what, it really didn't matter what she spoke of that day.  The show of love and friendship was something that touched all our hearts.  We did feel the Spirit even without your tried and true formula.

Edited by Guest

4 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

How often do we get the...  "The second councilor stopped me in the hall and gave me the topic of blah blah blah.  I feel so inadequate to speak on this...  blah blah blah"   You would never hear this in general conference.

I think I have heard people in GC mention that they felt inadequate to speak in GC.  What you won't hear is them saying they were asked on Thursday (basically 2 days ago since it's always Thursday night) to speak on Sunday.  When the leadership start giving people a month to prepare (nevermind the 6 months that GAs generally have for GC), maybe they'll start getting people who are more prepared.

Other than that, IMO, people have ample opportunity to learn how to speak in Sacrament meeting.  They choose the degree to which they'll take advantage of the opportunities.  Until the saints no longer need gospel lessons on Sunday, I doubt they'll get (direct as opposed to tacit) public speaking lessons.

7 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

What if my definition of a good talk is to skip the sappy story about your personal life and start presenting doctrine from scripture and GC talks, followed by powerful testimony and maybe a fist bang to the podium?

What if Joe Bloe zones out on scripture references and just wants a bullet list of tactics he can use to overcome his various weaknesses?

What if Mary McCrary is moved by the personal examples of people doing good things?

What if Bob Dobb is asked to give a talk on fasting (because the bishop was inspired, and it turns out Bob never fasts, but needs to learn) and therefore Bob can't give a personal experience related to fasting?

What if Tammy Timid cringes at every speaker who raises their voice, and William Whaddidyasay can't hear unless the speaker shouts?

And what if Harold Hardnose wants to get up and walk out every time a speaker gets a little weepy?

In short, I'm in the camp of:

a) There's no way any given person is going to be able to present a talk which appeals to all his listeners.

b) Any given person is responsible for their own ability to speak in church - ps - his parents (if he was raised in the church) should have taught him how to speak in church.

c) President Kimball was right - if Sacrament meeting is boring to you, it's your own fault.  (See @Sunday21's nice way of putting that.)

2 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

True.  Can't argue against that very convincingly, myself.

Of course there is.

Yup. Unfortunate.

Most general authorities are seasoned individuals with a lot of confidence in public.  Most of them were also in bishoprics and other leadership positions where they're very well aware of and are equally frustrated with hearing those same statements.  So, they don't do it themselves.

No, not really.  That is one formula.  And, sure, it works.  But there are plenty of other ways to bring the Spirit into the message. (see below)

Don't take the following as an attack.  It is an honest effort to get you to consider something.

What are YOU doing about it?  Do you have any friends that you're coaching to help them speak better?  Do you reach out to anyone to help them with speaking skills?  Have you ever shared your formula with others?  If you yourself aren't doing anything about it when you seem to care about these things more than the Church or the bishopric, then how can you complain that no one else has?

********************** ANECDOTE *****************************

There is a young woman in our ward who is very sweet and kind and... from a broken home.  She has friends in the ward and a lot of support.  One week she was asked to give a talk in Sacrament.  As shy as she was, she had difficulty even getting to the podium.  But she spoke.  I honestly can't tell what she said.  She was so unsteady and suttered and corrected herself a LOT.  She began crying.

Then another young lady came up to the podium with her and gave her a hug and some verbal encouragement.  I'll tell you what, it really didn't matter what she spoke of that day.  The show of love and friendship was something that touched all our hearts.  We did feel the Spirit even without your tried and true formula.

I have helped a number of people.  My kids all know the what to do and what not to do.  I have taught it to some of the young men.  And those that follow the that tend to give much more interesting talks.  And I have talked with my friends in church and they all agree.

The formula is not the only way to go, but it does work.  And it is pretty easy to follow.  The problem is, many people have not been coached at all and they are just lost.  So they rely on other's talks that follow the mistakes of others.

12 minutes ago, zil said:

I think I have heard people in GC mention that they felt inadequate to speak in GC.  What you won't hear is them saying they were asked on Thursday (basically 2 days ago since it's always Thursday night) to speak on Sunday.  When the leadership start giving people a month to prepare (nevermind the 6 months that GAs generally have for GC), maybe they'll start getting people who are more prepared.

Other than that, IMO, people have ample opportunity to learn how to speak in Sacrament meeting.  They choose the degree to which they'll take advantage of the opportunities.  Until the saints no longer need gospel lessons on Sunday, I doubt they'll get (direct as opposed to tacit) public speaking lessons.

What if my definition of a good talk is to skip the sappy story about your personal life and start presenting doctrine from scripture and GC talks, followed by powerful testimony and maybe a fist bang to the podium?

What if Joe Bloe zones out on scripture references and just wants a bullet list of tactics he can use to overcome his various weaknesses?

What if Mary McCrary is moved by the personal examples of people doing good things?

What if Bob Dobb is asked to give a talk on fasting (because the bishop was inspired, and it turns out Bob never fasts, but needs to learn) and therefore Bob can't give a personal experience related to fasting?

What if Tammy Timid cringes at every speaker who raises their voice, and William Whaddidyasay can't hear unless the speaker shouts?

And what if Harold Hardnose wants to get up and walk out every time a speaker gets a little weepy?

In short, I'm in the camp of:

a) There's no way any given person is going to be able to present a talk which appeals to all his listeners.

b) Any given person is responsible for their own ability to speak in church - ps - his parents (if he was raised in the church) should have taught him how to speak in church.

c) President Kimball was right - if Sacrament meeting is boring to you, it's your own fault.  (See @Sunday21's nice way of putting that.)

Sure, no talk will appeal to all, but there are definitely talks that hardly appeal to anyone.  I would agree that people should be responsible for their own ability to speak....  except...  They generally are not actively looking to speak, they usually don't want to speak, and they don't know how and there is very little motivation for them to actively go out on their own to figure it out.  

I suspect the church avoids telling people how to give talks, because they don't want the same format time and again, and they don't want people being criticized who don't use that format.  But then they end up with people not knowing what to do at all and fumbling and flailing the who talk through.

I still think it wouldn't hurt to provide some instruction on how to spruce things up a bit.

16 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

there are definitely talks that hardly appeal to anyone

I submit that this is assumption, unless you are telling us you've done extensive, controlled surveys on the matter.

I would agree that people should be responsible for their own ability to speak....  except...  They generally are not actively looking to speak, they usually don't want to speak, and they don't know how and there is very little motivation for them to actively go out on their own to figure it out.

Like I said, people are responsible for their own behavior.  You cannot force a member to learn how to speak well.  In theory, you could offer a class - e.g. volunteer to present a fireside - but you can't make people come1, you can't make them take notes2, you can't make them learn, you can't make them practice3.

1Best provide lots of unhealthy food, and a few healthy offerings, since Mormons don't show up unless you feed them.

2I think I know two people who take notes in church, and I'm one of them.

3Perhaps the best way to learn, if people would consider it in that light.  But ask your bishop what percentage of the active members are willing to speak in Sacrament meeting.

At the end of the day, unless the Lord decides to make this a focus, it won't be for the whole Church.  If you want it in your area, it's up to you and your bishop.

In addition to the fireside, you could buy a book or two on the topic, donate them to the building library, and advertise their availability for ward / stake members.  You could perhaps pray about how to help members be more willing to give a talk in church so that it's not such a royal pain for the bishopric to find such folk.  You could go broad and create a website or YouTube channel or some such with instruction and variety.  But if all you present is the brief paragraph-template you've provided here, it won't work.  You'll need to do a lot more work than that.  In time, you might become known as a good resource to help people prepare effective talks.

Unless you're willing to tell your bishop how to serve in his calling, I don't see any way for you to help your leaders select topics and speakers (theoretically by inspiration via their stewardships) at least a full month in advance, and to provide, in addition to the topic, instruction about preparation.  (Best find out first whether they're doing that, because at least in theory, they could be.)

I suppose the short-short version of my response is that this relies on the agency of others and you are, therefore, at the mercy of others.  Look for things you can do rather than lament a Church-wide change you cannot effect.

Edited by zil

27 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I have helped a number of people.  My kids all know the what to do and what not to do.  I have taught it to some of the young men.  And those that follow the that tend to give much more interesting talks.  And I have talked with my friends in church and they all agree.

The formula is not the only way to go, but it does work.  And it is pretty easy to follow.  The problem is, many people have not been coached at all and they are just lost.  So they rely on other's talks that follow the mistakes of others.

So, it sounds like the Church does have a program to help people learn to talk in Sacrament.  Thank you.

Edited by Guest

13 minutes ago, zil said:

I submit that this is assumption, unless you are telling us you've done extensive, controlled surveys on the matter.

Like I said, people are responsible for their own behavior.  You cannot force a member to learn how to speak well.  In theory, you could offer a class - e.g. volunteer to present a fireside - but you can't make people come1, you can't make them take notes2, you can't make them learn, you can't make them practice3.

1Best provide lots of unhealthy food, and a few healthy offerings, since Mormons don't show up unless you feed them.

2I think I know two people who take notes in church, and I'm one of them.

3Perhaps the best way to learn, if people would consider it in that light.  But ask your bishop what percentage of the active members are willing to speak in Sacrament meeting.

At the end of the day, unless the Lord decides to make this a focus, it won't be for the whole Church.  If you want it in your area, it's up to you and your bishop.

In addition to the fireside, you could buy a book or two on the topic, donate them to the building library, and advertise their availability for ward / stake members.  You could perhaps pray about how to help members be more willing to give a talk in church so that it's not such a royal pain for the bishopric to find such folk.  You could go broad and create a website or YouTube channel or some such with instruction and variety.  But if all you present is the brief paragraph-template you've provided here, it won't work.  You'll need to do a lot more work than that.  In time, you might become known as a good resource to help people prepare effective talks.

Unless you're willing to tell your bishop how to serve in his calling, I don't see any way for you to help your leaders select topics and speakers (theoretically by inspiration via their stewardships) at least a full month in advance, and to provide, in addition to the topic, instruction about preparation.  (Best find out first whether they're doing that, because at least in theory, they could be.)

I suppose the short-short version of my response is that this relies on the agency of others and you are, therefore, at the mercy of others.  Look for things you can do rather than lament a Church-wide change you cannot effect.

Yeah, none of that is my responsibility.  If the bishopric wants to change that, they can pray themselves.

All I am doing is asking the question why the church doesn't have any guidance they offer from time to time.  

4 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Yeah, I don't think so.

That wasn't a trick of logic.  I truly meant it.  Sometimes the way things are supposed to get done is NOT through a "formal" program or method.  We as individuals are supposed to reach out and help others.

I think we get stuck in this "calling" mentality.  If it's not your calling, then you shouldn't be doing it.  No.  That's as annoying as people at work who constantly tell me,"Stay in your lane!" when I was only trying to hand off useful information for him to do his work.  I thought that was teamwork.  But some people take it as my telling them what to do.

Just because it is not a formal calling, does not mean that you're not supposed to do your part to help people in something.  It's called "charity".  It's considered the highest of virtues.  We're supposed to develop it. And that's not just in our callings, but in everything we do.

EDIT:

1 minute ago, Lost Boy said:

Yeah, none of that is my responsibility.  If the bishopric wants to change that, they can pray themselves.

All I am doing is asking the question why the church doesn't have any guidance they offer from time to time.  

Oh.  I see.  not your responsibility. Got it.

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Lost Boy said:

I am sure I am going to get push back on this, but some talks are absolutely boring.  And there is very little reason they have to be.

General statement: no one's going to argue with fact that some talks are given with horrible public speaking skills.  That's just a fact.

Personal take here: I had a job for two years where it was tasked with coaching people on public speaking.  I now instinctively count the number of "um's", hair twists, side tangents, and otherwise critique ANY presentation I hear.  And as a LDS academic, I here a LOT of presentations.  From a technical standpoint, many downright suck (in church setting and outside of that).  Some just make my ears want to bleed.  So, what can we do about it?

- As the listener: forgive the speaker.  Try to listen for content at least that is useful or insights that you can gleam (even it's a side tangent thought you had during it).  Also, notice that there can be beauty in a kindergarten's drawing (to speak metaphorically).  Look for the heart therein-- you won't always find it, but many times you will.  Things don't have follow a technical outline. 

- As a teacher/mentor: you can indeed teach public speaking in activities or informal settings.   If people want to learn, give tips.  The biggest obstacle is usually a fear of the podium-- jokes and practice are helpful there.  Point out that they're not alone-- public speaking is the #1 fear in America, surpassing death.  Many great people in history have had this fear--- such as Thomas Jefferson who hated public speaking so bad he made another guy give his State of the Union address.  In a religious setting, Moses is a great example: he literally has God come down and pick him for a special mission, and what does Moses say?  "But I'm bad at public speaking!" (gisted).   important note: not everyone is teachable (habits & stubbornness are powerful things), you got to accept that.

-As a speaker yourself: set a good example.  People learn from examples and copy them.  

-If you're taking the role of nothing but a complainer: then you're lying in the bed you made for yourself.  If you don't like it, do something about it.

Edited by Jane_Doe

7 minutes ago, Carborendum said:

That wasn't a trick of logic.  I truly meant it.  Sometimes the way things are supposed to get done is NOT through a "formal" program or method.  We as individuals are supposed to reach out and help others.

I think we get stuck in this "calling" mentality.  If it's not your calling, then you shouldn't be doing it.  No.  That's as annoying as people at work who constantly tell me,"Stay in your lane!" when I was only trying to hand off useful information for him to do his work.  I thought that was teamwork.  But some people take it as my telling them what to do.

Just because it is not a formal calling, does not mean that you're not supposed to do your part to help people in something.  It's called "charity".  It's considered the highest of virtues.  We're supposed to develop it. And that's not just in our callings, but in everything we do.

EDIT:

Oh.  I see.  not your responsibility. Got it.

That is all well and good and I do offer help from time to time.  But somethings work far better from the top down.  I see this as one of them. 

8 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

General statement: no one's going to argue with fact that some talks are given with horrible public speaking skills.  That's just a fact.

Personal take here: I had a job for two years where it was tasked with coaching people on public speaking.  I now instinctively count the number of "um's", hair twists, side tangents, and otherwise critique ANY presentation I hear.  And as a LDS academic, I here a LOT of presentations.  From a technical standpoint, many downright suck (in church setting and outside of that).  Some just make my ears want to bleed.  So, what can we do about it?

- As the listener: forgive the speaker.  Try to listen for content at least that is useful or insights that you can gleam (even it's a side tangent thought you had during it).  Also, notice that there can be beauty in a kindergarten's drawing (to speak metaphorically).  Look for the heart therein-- you won't always find it, but many times you will.  Things don't have follow a technical outline. 

- As a teacher/mentor: you can indeed teach public speaking in activities or informal settings.   If people want to learn, give tips.  The biggest obstacle is usually a fear of the podium-- jokes and practice are helpful there.  Point out that they're not alone-- public speaking is the #1 fear in America, surpassing death.  Many great people in history have had this fear--- such as Thomas Jefferson who hated public speaking so bad he made another guy give his State of the Union address.  In a religious setting, Moses is a great example: he literally has God come down and pick him for a special mission, and what does Moses say?  "But I'm bad at public speaking!" (gisted).   important note: not everyone is teachable (habits & stubbornness are powerful things), you got to accept that.

-As a speaker yourself: set a good example.  People learn from examples and copy them.  

-If you're taking the role of nothing but a complainer: then you're lying in the bed you made for yourself.  If you don't like it, do something about it.

I will disagree in this instance.   There is a time and place for complaint.  If no one complains then leaders don't know there are issues.  Me complaining here is all but useless, but it still doesn't answer my question why they church doesn't take a more active role in providing education in church speaking.  Sure, there are many that wouldn't use the information, but I think there are many that would benefit from it.

13 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

That is all well and good and I do offer help from time to time.  But somethings work far better from the top down.  I see this as one of them. 

Some things.  That is certainly true.  But if you believe this is one of them, have you gone through the process in your mind?  How would such a program be implemented?

I think it would be less practical to do such a thing on a Churchwide basis.  I am honestly asking this challenge.  Not in an in-your-face attitude.  More of a game.  Suggest a method and I'll tell you exactly why it would cause more problems than simply having to listen to speakers who don't follow a formula for "how to give a good speech".

If a boring speech is the worst problem in your mind, I don't think that's so bad.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

So what you're saying here is that you just wanted to complain a bit.  Got it.  I find ice cream goes well with a pity party.

As for why "the Church" (which you can interpret as the First Presidency & Quorum of the Twelve, or as the Lord) doesn't do this, well, clearly they don't think it's hit the top of the priority list yet.

2 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

Me complaining here is all but useless, but it still doesn't answer my question why they church doesn't take a more active role in providing education in church speaking.

"The church" isn't here.  "The church" are the only ones who can answer your question.  Given that you know complaining here is useless ("all but" intentionally removed), why do this here?

3 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I will disagree in this instance.   There is a time and place for complaint.  If no one complains then leaders don't know there are issues.  Me complaining here is all but useless, but it still doesn't answer my question why they church doesn't take a more active role in providing education in church speaking.  Sure, there are many that wouldn't use the information, but I think there are many that would benefit from it.

Observing that there's a problem and being willing to do something about it is a good thing.

How are YOU giving a good example talk?

How are YOU helping those in you sphere of influence? 

Those are the things that can be done.  That is entirely different than complaining without being willing to put in effort to change at least your personal sphere (that's the attitude of a spoiled brat, not an adult).  

1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

Observing that there's a problem and being willing to do something about it is a good thing.

How are YOU giving a good example talk?

How are YOU helping those in you sphere of influence? 

Those are the things that can be done.  That is entirely different than complaining without being willing to put in effort to change at least your personal sphere (that's the attitude of a spoiled brat, not an adult).  

I have no issue helping those in my sphere of influence, and I do, but my efforts are ineffective when trying to change a large organization.  

6 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

I'm not sure how many members realize that these types of statements are often damaging to the whole 'giving a talk' experience. They often:
1. Act as a delay instead of getting to the actual talk
2. Throw a member of the Bishopric under the bus, who already has a hard enough time getting people to speak
3. Helps pass fear to others about the Bishopric and teaches them to avoid their phone calls
4. Listeners instantly realize you don't want to be there and so many will disengage.
5. Turns off investigators and other non-members from wanting to attend sacrament meeting to listen to speakers who regret the chance to talk about the Church, Gospel, Savior, etc.
"If they are not excited, why should I be?" (yes, I've heard this multiple times especially from non-member spouses who attend).

We can do better getting up there with some confidence, mean business and deliver our talks.
Wish wash tip toeing nervous nelly is a turn off to some, myself included. Faking confidence often leads to real confidence.

Edited by NeedleinA

7 minutes ago, zil said:

So what you're saying here is that you just wanted to complain a bit.  Got it.  I find ice cream goes well with a pity party.

As for why "the Church" (which you can interpret as the First Presidency & Quorum of the Twelve, or as the Lord) doesn't do this, well, clearly they don't think it's hit the top of the priority list yet.

"The church" isn't here.  "The church" are the only ones who can answer your question.  Given that you know complaining here is useless ("all but" intentionally removed), why do this here?

I'll take French Vanilla, please.

Apparently the First Presidency don't find it a top priority, but I figured maybe someone here might know why?  Perhaps not.  

Instead, it appears that people would rather attack me for bringing up the topic, suggesting that I'm not being a team player, etc.  You're a complainer for mentioning it, etc.  Whatever.  

32 minutes ago, Lost Boy said:

I am not sure that the "church" has a responsibility to ensure that "good" talks are given on Sunday. I see it as a problem at a local level.  However a quick google search turned this up. SO I guess the "church" has addressed it on some level.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/professor-teaches-steps-for-giving-better-sacrament-meeting-talks?lang=eng&_r=1

I have no issue helping those in my sphere of influence, and I do, but my efforts are ineffective when trying to change a large organization.  

Don't try to change the globe.  Just work on your local sphere.  If you want to do something on the ward level, why not volunteer to teach a class on it?  Either during church or sometime during the week.

3 hours ago, Lost Boy said:

I'll take French Vanilla, please.

:thumbsup:

Apparently the First Presidency don't find it a top priority, but I figured maybe someone here might know why?

Really?  I can't imagine why you would think anyone on MormonHub would have an in on the FP's priority list.  Truly, that thought baffles me.

Instead, it appears that people would rather attack me for bringing up the topic, suggesting that I'm not being a team player, etc.  You're a complainer for mentioning it, etc.  Whatever.  

Had you just said you wanted to complain, many would likely have joined with you (some have expressed their frustrations too).

Had you simply asked the question "Does anyone know why the Church doesn't do this?" without all the baggage around it, some might have speculated, but all would have said, "No, I don't know why."

But there was lots of baggage around it, inviting various forms of commentary.  Most people, when confronted with a problem like this will offer ways to address the problem.  Most people recognize that if you want a problem solved, you've got to do it yourself cuz no one else is gonna.  And then when someone says, "I don't like this, but I'm not gonna solve it," well, people start thinking negative things (that shouldn't surprise any past 30ish).

Edited by zil

8 minutes ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

I am not sure that the "church" has a responsibility to ensure that "good" talks are given on Sunday. I see it as a problem at a local level.  However a quick google search turned this up. SO I guess the "church" has addressed it on some level.

https://www.lds.org/church/news/professor-teaches-steps-for-giving-better-sacrament-meeting-talks?lang=eng&_r=1

Good link.  I am not suggesting the church can ensure good talks.  But they could do a bit more coaching.  And sure it would be done at the local level.